Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
chipeneezer

Uber in San Juan

I'm just back from San Juan on Freedom of the Seas and used Uber several times while we were there.  It was cheap, easy, and quick.  I know other people have said that Uber is not really available in San Juan, but I had no problems and I don't even use it at Home.

When you arrive at the airport you have to use a Taxi.  They don't let Uber Pick up at the airport, but you can go back to the airport on Uber.  Our Taxi(Toyota Sienna) from the airport to our Hotel (Hyatt House - about a half mile from Pan American Pier) was $24 for four people with 4 big suitcases.  The vans/buses charge $10 per person to take you from the Pier to the Airport.

Our Uber Trips:

Uber XL (Kia Sorrento) from Hyatt House to La Garita, near El Morro, was $6

Uber (Honda HRV) from La Barrachina to Hyatt House was $6.18

Uber XL (Ford Explorer) from Hyatt House to Pan Am Pier, was $5.62

Uber XL(Kia Sedona) from Pan American Pier back to the airport was $16.40

Edited by chipeneezer

On 6/26/2019 at 10:00 AM, chipeneezer said:

I'm just back from San Juan on Freedom of the Seas and used Uber several times while we were there.  It was cheap, easy, and quick.  I know other people have said that Uber is not really available in San Juan, but I had no problems and I don't even use it at Home.

When you arrive at the airport you have to use a Taxi.  They don't let Uber Pick up at the airport, but you can go back to the airport on Uber.  Our Taxi(Toyota Sienna) from the airport to our Hotel (Hyatt House - about a half mile from Pan American Pier) was $24 for four people with 4 big suitcases.  The vans/buses charge $10 per person to take you from the Pier to the Airport.

If you were told this about the van/buses you were misled. As long as they are taxi, cars and vans have to go by the set rate within the "tourist zone" between the airport and OSJ/ Convention Center/ Piers. Big buses are usually private or "for hire" transfers and are not regulated the same way, in terms of price. But they are usually seen doing transfers for the cruise lines. For basically anything else, you have to take a taxi of of SJU.

On 6/26/2019 at 7:00 AM, chipeneezer said:

Our Uber Trips:

Uber XL (Kia Sorrento) from Hyatt House to La Garita, near El Morro, was $6

Uber (Honda HRV) from La Barrachina to Hyatt House was $6.18

Uber XL (Ford Explorer) from Hyatt House to Pan Am Pier, was $5.62

Uber XL(Kia Sedona) from Pan American Pier back to the airport was $16.40

Thank you for the update...we appreciate it.  We'll be in SJ this fall and hoping to use Uber everywhere.

How long was the average wait for the Uber driver to show up?  Is there a dedicated spot/location at the Pan American Pier to meet with your Uber driver? (At the Seattle cruise terminal, they dedicated a spot for Uber/Lyft drivers to pick up passengers...so they won't conflict with the regular taxis.)  Thanks again.

We just came back from SJU earlier this month.  We never had to wait more than 10 minutes for an Uber.  I can't speak for the Pan American pier but over at Pier 4 (Carnival) the Uber drivers had to pick you up across the street from the terminal.