Does Baby monitor work on the cruise ship between room?

lianaks

Hello,

Has anyone trying to use baby monitor between room on the cruise ship?   Just wonder the metal wall between room will interfere with the baby monitor?   We will be traveling with toddler and family member we will have rooms next to each other and wonder the monitor will work?  Anyone have experience using them?

Liana.

If the rooms are next to each other, you should be ok. I know walkie-talkies are a problem, but that is when you are trying to communicate through multiple walls/decks. If you have a door between the rooms, keeping it open should help.

1 minute ago, richmke said:

If the rooms are next to each other, you should be ok. I know walkie-talkies are a problem, but that is when you are trying to communicate through multiple walls/decks. If you have a door between the rooms, keeping it open should help.

Although if you are going to keep the door open between the rooms, why would you need a baby monitor?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stoneharborlady said:

Although if you are going to keep the door open between the rooms, why would you need a baby monitor?

I don't think she mentioned anything about the cabins connecting - just that they were next to each other.

Here is a link from the Family Board that addresses Baby Monitors which might help - you can also always go there and ask the question to get some additional insight.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2673961-baby-monitors/?tab=comments#comment-57753836

2 hours ago, pms4104 said:

IMHO the issue is not so much whether baby monitors work ... but that a toddler may be left alone in a cabin

That was never mentioned. I would not jump to that conclusion.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are special panels in stateroom doors to allow WiFi links from inside the staterooms to the WiFi routers in the corridors.

I doubt if connectivity through those panels from stateroom to stateroom was ever designed for, much less tested.   Ditto for any connecting doors between staterooms.

Worse, those panels appear to be specially designed to allow only WiFi frequencies through (so that Medallion tech will work):  The frequency used by a particular baby monitor could be an issue as well.

9 minutes ago, Haboob said:

There are special panels in stateroom doors to allow WiFi links from inside the staterooms to the WiFi routers in the corridors.

I doubt if connectivity through those panels from stateroom to stateroom was ever designed for, much less tested.   Ditto for any connecting doors between staterooms.

Worse, those panels appear to be specially designed to allow only WiFi frequencies through (so that Medallion tech will work):  The frequency used by a particular baby monitor could be an issue as well.

Are you talking about the louvered vents in the hallway doors?

If so the Royal class ships don't have any vents.

16 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Are you talking about the louvered vents in the hallway doors?

If so the Royal class ships don't have any vents.

Nope.

An inquisitive fingernail on Regal discovered that only the stiles and rails were metal.  The whole center panel was ...plastic-ish. 

With obvious WiFi access points in the corridors and none in the staterooms, the panel had to be passing WiFi-frequency radio.  With the Medallion tech needing to know whether a Medallion was in the stateroom (and you presumably wanting the door locked) or just outside in corridor (and presumably wanting the door unlocked) the panel can't be passing all frequencies.

I'll plead guilty to assuming that any new doors going into ships that don't have Medallion yet will be the same.

@VagasSlacker, Thank you for your information.   Our baby monitor is very similar to yours, so I guess it will work, Thank you again for the information, I will bring the monitor.  I will be next door to the toddler and will watch her from our room so I can watch TV or read and will able to see and hear her if she cry.

9 hours ago, Haboob said:

With obvious WiFi access points in the corridors and none in the staterooms, the panel had to be passing WiFi-frequency radio.  With the Medallion tech needing to know whether a Medallion was in the stateroom (and you presumably wanting the door locked) or just outside in corridor (and presumably wanting the door unlocked) the panel can't be passing all frequencies.

Assuming they don't have Access Points in the cabin, then the easy solution is:

Assume wifi access points A, B, and C, with B being the one at your cabin. If you pass A or C, and then are located at B, then it can tell you were in the hallway and unlock the door when you get to point B.

No need for special frequencies that the door traps.

54 minutes ago, richmke said:

Assuming they don't have Access Points in the cabin, then the easy solution is:

Assume wifi access points A, B, and C, with B being the one at your cabin. If you pass A or C, and then are located at B, then it can tell you were in the hallway and unlock the door when you get to point B.

No need for special frequencies that the door traps.

Sorry.  You miss the point. 

The trick is to tell you are inside the stateroom and want the door locked behind you if the sensors outside can detect the BLE beacon when you are inside.

8 hours ago, Haboob said:

Sorry.  You miss the point. 

The trick is to tell you are inside the stateroom and want the door locked behind you if the sensors outside can detect the BLE beacon when you are inside.

The door is automatically locked. The trick is telling when to automatically unlock it. As I see it, the only time it should unlock automatically is if you first pass A or C before arriving at B. Any other time, the door stays locked. If you are inside the cabin, you turn the door handle to unlock the door.

Does the door unlock automatically when you are inside the cabin and are leaving?

2 hours ago, richmke said:

The door is automatically locked. The trick is telling when to automatically unlock it. As I see it, the only time it should unlock automatically is if you first pass A or C before arriving at B. Any other time, the door stays locked. If you are inside the cabin, you turn the door handle to unlock the door.

Does the door unlock automatically when you are inside the cabin and are leaving?

Last go 'round.  I'll listen but not likely respond on this further.

When you are in your stateroom, you passed A or C.  You may have gone to bed and gotten up the next morning, but you've still passed A or C without then passing either again.  Simply adding a timeout presents a quandary:  Leave the door unlocked for 10(?) minutes or lock out folks who have a good-night chat with fellow pax just outside the door before parting ways.

On 6/27/2019 at 12:33 PM, Haboob said:

With obvious WiFi access points in the corridors and none in the staterooms, the panel had to be passing WiFi-frequency radio. 

Another 'fact'!

I, and I know others, have from time-to-time had to open their cabin doors to get good

wi-fi signal strength in the cabin.

If what you say is true, which I doubt, it's not a very good design.

6 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

Another 'fact'!

I, and I know others, have from time-to-time had to open their cabin doors to get good

If what you say is true, which I doubt, it's not a very good design.

It would appear to me that just looking at the signal with both a closed door & with it open would show the correct answer. 

I prefer to logon in the Piazza where I get a decent signal all the time.

10 hours ago, pablo222 said:

Another 'fact'!

That might not be necessary on ships with the new MedallionNet hardware.

3 hours ago, caribill said:

That might not be necessary on ships with the new MedallionNet hardware.

Below is a link to a princess press release about adding medallion class.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2256078

It mentions adding 1780 in-cabin Wifi access points...

(a while ago, a poster posted a picture of the access point that had been added to her cabin)

While the press release details some of the things that will be added, it

doesn't mention changing out all the cabin doors to add the mystery panel

the poster referred to.

4 hours ago, pablo222 said:

Below is a link to a princess press release about adding medallion class.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2256078

It mentions adding 1780 in-cabin Wifi access points...

(a while ago, a poster posted a picture of the access point that had been added to her cabin)

While the press release details some of the things that will be added, it

doesn't mention changing out all the cabin doors to add the mystery panel

the poster referred to.

Interesting, especially since the press release specifically cites Regal.  Thank you.

I had presumed there was such on Regal but 15 days of "wonder where it is?" failed to find one.  If you could track down that photo, I would be interested in seeing it.

17 hours ago, Haboob said:

Interesting, especially since the press release specifically cites Regal.  Thank you.

I had presumed there was such on Regal but 15 days of "wonder where it is?" failed to find one.  If you could track down that photo, I would be interested in seeing it.

I think poster 'antsp' might have posted it.