Can being on a Waitlist prove beneficial.

mozfoz

Looking at a Med.cruise and most of the lower category cabins indicate that  they are waitlist status. Is being placed on a wait list offer any potential upsides. I did place a deposit but have no reservation until a room opens and I will need to pay the going fare of that date.

Didn't help us.  We were first on the waitlist (supposedly) for a PH1, PH2 and a PH3 for 9 months but were offered nothing despite 3 people on our roll call receiving PH rooms while we were on the waitlist!  O kept telling our TA that we weren't being passed over but we were...they weren't telling the truth. We eventually got a PH cabin only because someone traded with us.

21 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Didn't help us.  We were first on the waitlist (supposedly) for a PH1, PH2 and a PH3 for 9 months but were offered nothing despite 3 people on our roll call receiving PH rooms while we were on the waitlist!  O kept telling our TA that we weren't being passed over but we were...they weren't telling the truth. We eventually got a PH cabin only because someone traded with us.

The they forgot to tell you that EVERYONE on the waitlist is a number one!😢

We had a similar experience on O once and it is not a pleasant .

• Like 1

We were waitlisted on Riviera last year.  When O called to tell us there was an open PH cabin I checked the deck plans and saw that it was under Waves Grill.  The agent assured me that it was a “quiet” premium cabin.  Thank goodness for Cruise Critic and truthful comments.  The noise would have ruined the cruise for me.  We waited until the day before final payment was due and got a great PH on deck 10.  I guess people cancel while they can still get their deposit back.

Good Luck!

• Like 2

I think what might help is having a TA that works closely with O. We have been on a wait list for a specific category or location and both times we got what we wanted. In each case, our travel agent informed us as we got closer and finally got the desired category/location. 

Having a a great TA really adds to the experience!

k

• Like 1

Keep checking with O to see what number you are on the list and if you are moving up the list.  Check a few days before and the day of final payment to see if there have been any cancellations.  Good luck!!

• Like 1

Have your TA check to see if O will do a guarantee on the cabin level you want.

The answer to the OP is that it largely depends upon timing. A lot of movement occurs at PIF time. After all the dust has settled from that, things can slow down depending upon upon how the cruise is

booked. 

Oceania Club Ambassador still promotes placeholder cruises and a lot of dreamer cruises are still booked. PIF date separates the wheat from the chaff,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been eyeing a cruise to South America on Marina in January for several weeks, the entire cruise was waitlisted.  On a whim, I checked again this morning and there were several PH1's available and a guarantee for a PH2 but everything else still waitlisted.  It is coming close to the penalty period (in a week) so maybe that's why but I can't help but think that someone who is waitlisted missed out.   Ironically, I was able to get the exact cabin that I wanted (7135) which I think will be ideal for this cruise.