Navigator of the Seas - Scooter or Wheelchair?

We are taking a cruise soon on RCCL Navigator for my mother's 90th birthday. She is recently out of hospital and has some mobility issues. We were going to try and get a wheelchair but she wants an electric scooter so she has more independence on the ship. Has anyone used an electric scooter on Navigator? Is it doable?

If so, does anyone have any ideas on how we can get her one for the weekend cruise out of Port of Miami?

first thing is you need to make sure the scooter will fit thru the door of the cabin if you don't have a handicapped room. You cant leave it in the hall. If so then I would suggest renting her one so she will have more freedom. 

33 minutes ago, lsfla said:

We are taking a cruise soon on RCCL Navigator for my mother's 90th birthday. She is recently out of hospital and has some mobility issues. We were going to try and get a wheelchair but she wants an electric scooter so she has more independence on the ship. Has anyone used an electric scooter on Navigator? Is it doable?

If so, does anyone have any ideas on how we can get her one for the weekend cruise out of Port of Miami?

Yes, people use scooters on the ships all the time.

Check out these rental places:

https://www.scootaround.com/

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/reserve-equipment/scooter-rentals/

58 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

first thing is you need to make sure the scooter will fit thru the door of the cabin if you don't have a handicapped room. You cant leave it in the hall. If so then I would suggest renting her one so she will have more freedom. 

Yes, we do have her in an accessible cabin already. She was thinking that she would be less dependent on us with a scooter I was just wondering if it would be hard to navigate around the ship and on and off in Nassau as well.

Edited by lsfla
typo
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Yes, people use scooters on the ships all the time.

Check out these rental places:

https://www.scootaround.com/

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/reserve-equipment/scooter-rentals/

Thank you for those sites! Checking into both of them now. :)

Edited by lsfla
typo

she really won't be able to do much with it in Nassau.  dd was in a wheelchair and outside of the us there's just too many obstacles.  but yes,  get her Rental so she doesn't have to depend on anyone. enjoy your cruise!

1 hour ago, James4me said:

How awful to say such a thing.  Obviously she knows how to operate her scooter if need be.

I must have missed something. Why is it obvious that she knows how to drive a scooter. I have seen a few people on a scooter who should not have been driving one. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Is she used to driving a scooter?  You can definitely rent either wheelchair or scooter, but the narrow spaces, hallways, crowded elevators, etc. are not a good place to learn to drive a scooter 

Self taught in the Serenade RS. You can make quite the course

Just did NOTS with hubby. Rented him a wheelchair from Special needs at sea. He's blind so a scooter wouldn't work. Had very few problems. Cross from forward to aft on either decks 12,11 or 5. Elevators can get crowded so make sure to leave a little extra time. Staff was wonderful about helping. I saw quite a few people with scooters and I'm sure it was easier for them than the manual wheelchair I had to push. Seams in the ship make some places harder to get over so you have to go over backwards. Biggest problem was that some stateroom hallways got a little narrow so if anything was in hall getting past it was dicey. Hope you guys have a great time, it was our 1st cruise and we enjoyed it enough to consider booking another. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Whizbank said:

Thank you Whizbank for the great info! We have been on Navigator of the Seas before, just never from a wheelchair/scooter perspective so it's nice to hear your opinions. It is one of our favorite ships so it is perfect to get the family together to celebrate Mom's 90th birthday, I'm sure we'll have a great time!! Glad you enjoyed your first cruise!! 

• Thanks 1

Take your mom to a local Wal Mart and practice on one of theirs at the store. The one's at the store are bigger than a rental but it's a great way to get a feel for it. In most ports, the scooter will be in the room when you get there. Some will allow you to pick it up at a kiosk before you board the ship. Not sure if Miami has that option.

Word of warning,,,
We rented a scooter for my mom and her BFF on Anthem.
I am very used to riding a scooter, I was non weight-bearing for just under 2 years and I have been limited distance ever since... 
It was late at night and I was going to get drinks for DH and myself.  Rather than walking from one end of the ship and and back I took one of their scooters. On the way back to the room I adjusted the speed... Big Mistake!! I nearly flung myself off of it! 

So Yes, going to WalMart, Target, etc will give her the feel to how to drive, but not how to handle it at a higher speed. Have her start at the lowest speed and slowly work her way up. I am not really sure why a rented scooter would have such a high speed or if the one I was on was just a fluke, either way, it is better to start slow :)