Cruise Critic Community
Vineyard View

2021 Ruby Princess out of SFO?

On 6/27/2019 at 1:25 PM, Vineyard View said:

We are looking to book the PNW out of SFO but may not be able to make that happen until spring 2021. I am only seeing one sailing at this time on 4/24 on the Ruby. Will there be more options as time moves forward?  Is the Ruby going to be the only ship sailing RT out of SFO  starting in 2021?  We are not fans of any ships in the 3000+ passenger range. Thank you

Question:  Why do folks call San Francisco SFO?  That’s the abbreviation for the airport.  Surely the ship won’t be sailing from there. 😉  Oh, well...as long as they don’t call it “Frisco”.  

If your cruise is the Pacific Northwest, then I would recommend the Star rather than the Ruby.  Ruby is what I considered a warm weather ship.  PNW is still fairly cool in April.  So, it is cool enough that people don't go out on top, it will feel quite crowded below.  I was on the Emerald Princess, a sister ship, re-positioning back to the USA from the Baltics.  It was cool enough that very few people went out on top and felt quite crowded below.  The Ruby may have a few more anemities than the Star, but if you like to go swimming or even to use the hot tubs, Star would be the one I recommend.

My wife hates the older "shopping cart handle" location of Skywalkers as it shades her favorite pool. The aft view is better from the older design but it makes my wife less happy so I'm all for the more forward location on Ruby. Adagio is a definite plus. I do miss the covered pool on Ruby though. I like to read in the Conservatory. Overall, I prefer Ruby even with the extra passengers.

Edited by Thrak