Laundry options on 14 day cruise

bobrxlex

6 minutes ago, bobrxlex said:

Taking 14 day New England and Canada cruise in September and was wondering if anyone has been on a 14 day cruise and what laundry options Celebrity offers

Same as shorter cruises. All Celebrity ships offer a pay for laundry service. Are you elite or above?

50 bucks for a paper bag?  Yeah, I'll use the sink to wash out my bathing suits on our upcoming 10 day cruise.  Here is a trick that we do for long trips.  We save up our old underwear that we would get rid of at home in drawer clean outs/declutters.   We take it with us and toss it in the trash so we don't have to bring home dirty unmentionables. LOL

I've seen "washing bags" sold on Amazon.  Basically, its a big waterproof bag that you add your clothes/detergent/water to.  Slosh it around, shake it up, rinse and ring out. 

Yes, Laundry done by the ship for what you need cleaned for an extended time. It’s not a paper bag, its a cloth bag that takes a great deal of pieces. Done it and used it. 

For a 14N cruise (and pretty much any cruise +time prior/after of any extended length), we take 10 days worth - wash a few socks and undies and send out the outer wear as needed. Works just fine. we’ve done cruises plus 3-4 days prior and after and used ship’s laundry for a few of the major pieces and hand wash the others. 

Den

Sometimes we receive paper bags, sometimes cloth bags. 

We usually get the cloth bags if we are in a suite.

We also bring old underwear and gym t-shirts to wear one last time and toss. 

It is very nice having the Elite + perks for laundry and ironing and dry cleaning.

But even when we first started cruising with X and didn't get laundry perks, we just figured the cost of sending out laundry to be part of the cost of the cruise.

Even on cruise lines that have laundry rooms with self-service washers and dryers, we  never want to waste any of our precious cruise vacation time running back and forth to the laundry room, loading machines, then transferring and folding laundry.

It is so much nicer just to leave the bag of laundry on the bed and walk out of the room, knowing that the magic genie will take care of it all. 😉

But as the old saying goes, different strokes.......

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, varoo said:

It is very nice having the Elite + perks for laundry and ironing and dry cleaning.

But even when we first started cruising with X and didn't get laundry perks, we just figured the cost of sending out laundry to be part of the cost of the cruise.

Even on cruise lines that have laundry rooms with self-service washers and dryers, we  never want to waste any of our precious cruise vacation time running back and forth to the laundry room, loading machines, then transferring and folding laundry.

It is so much nicer just to leave the bag of laundry on the bed and walk out of the room, knowing that the magic genie will take care of it all. 😉

We also prefer sending out our laundry vs. doing it ourself.  As you mention, it is a pain to do it yourself, especially when the machines are busy.

We have not received a cloth bag in years.  Only paper lately, and those do not hold as much.

It may well be that the "All you can wash for $50" bags are actually smaller!  We are elite + so just use the free service - plus if you are RS or above you get unlimited standard laundry and some dry cleaning.  As Varoo says - cruise life (for us) is too short to do our own washing!

Is fabric recycling not a thing in the US?  In the UK used fabrics (although I accept not dirty underwear!) can be recycled.  So our old stuff goes in the recycling bins - not a waste bin.

Sounds as if the laundry service is OK?  Even though we are Elite + we rarely use the free bags or laundry service in case clothes get spoilt or shrink. Someone told us they all go in boiling water, then the dryer. We have a  lot of 100% cotton clothes. 

Edited by cruisingaussies

We had cloth bags on EDGE..easier to stuff than paper.

We have the E + perk and usually do 2 sep bags.  Whites...undies and socks and another for darker colors that we think will not shrink.. They use hot water and we never send out anything we would miss if it got ruined.  Clothes come back folded..Have had  good luck.  Very handy.. we saw the EDGE laundry operation on a tour...all very clean and well organized!

We also wash a few things in the sink as needed and  rinse out swimsuits as well 

Consider laundry costs part of the overall price of your 14 day cruise.  IMO perhaps adding $50 to your cruise cost for a bag of washed clothes half way through is not too bad given what you are paying for the overall cruise but everybody is of course different.  Some people will spend $50 easily on a few drinks one night at the Martini Bar.  Or for one person at a Specialty Restaurant.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, varoo said:

I second this position...

As the one who does the laundry in my household, it is quite nice to leave any and everything in the bag and know it will be returned the next day all done!

I consider it a perk of cruising, rather I pay for it or not.... usually I do pay for it.

bon voyage

52 minutes ago, RM said:

We only send wash we are ok with if something happens. Never favorite items.

I do not mind sending out any item, favourite or not.

I just want it cleaned. If it gets ruined, then it is done... I have been known to ruin things at home when doing laundry or sending out to dry cleaners. Not often, mind you, but it does happen.

bon voyage

We are Elite Plus and always use the laundry service during our cruises - even shorter ones as we always come into port several days ahead now that we are retired.  The ships use hot water and hot dryers.  Don't send out anything that you worry would shrink.  We send out socks, underwear, pajamas, and casual shorts and t-shirts.  They also have dry cleaning available, so we sometimes send out our better casual clothes to be dry cleaned if needed.

In all our many cruises using the laundry service (and I would estimate we have used it more than 50 times) we have only had one item ruined, and that was a pair of black socks that came back very faded.  Nothing else has ever been harmed.  Be advised, though, that the items come back folded and stuffed into a paper bag (unless you are lucky enough to be in a suite and then sometimes the butler can arrange to have things come back on hangers).  So things like t-shirts will be quite wrinkled.  Worst case we hang them up, steam them in the shower and/or use a wrinkle release spray.  

I wonder how many cruises we need to take to become Elite???  

This will be our 5th cruise on X and we've taken all of them in AQ. 

If we were Elite, of course I'd send out my laundry.  

I'm in California, we pretty much recycle everything, but I've never seen " clothes" being recycled.  Of course we can donate to Good Will, or another charity.  I won't throw out a t-shirt, but I hate traveling with dirty unmentionables.  That is why I toss them out. 

re: The Edge.  For those prices, I'd hope you would receive a cloth laundry bag. 

4 hours ago, calicakes said:

I wonder how many cruises we need to take to become Elite???  

This will be our 5th cruise on X and we've taken all of them in AQ. 

If we were Elite, of course I'd send out my laundry.  

I'm in California, we pretty much recycle everything, but I've never seen " clothes" being recycled.  Of course we can donate to Good Will, or another charity.  I won't throw out a t-shirt, but I hate traveling with dirty unmentionables.  That is why I toss them out. 

re: The Edge.  For those prices, I'd hope you would receive a cloth laundry bag. 

You need 300 points to become elite. The following is the point breakdown per stateroom category per nights.

Stateroom or Suite Category
Points earnt per night

Interior Stateroom

2 points

Oceanview Stateroom

2 points

Balcony Stateroom

3 points

Concierge Class

5 points

AquaClass

5 points

Sky Suites

8 points

Celebrity, Signature and Royal Suites

12 points

Refelction and Penthouse Suites

18 points

DH swears the laundry made his T shirts shrink.  But I'm afraid as the person who actually does the laundry in our house there was another explanation....

Seriously... don't send silk or any other sensitive fabric unless through dry cleaning. (if it can cope with that).  For us... don't bother paying for pressing for male shirts - everyone looks equally "rough dried". Whatever X does looks better than something I have cleaned , ironed then packed.

I have been known (confession time..) to board with male suits I knew needed the dry cleaners only to send them immediately we were on board on the basis that free upper suite dry cleaning is cheaper than having it done at home before we sail.  That said.. I would not send a tie I liked (might send one I didn't but DH did...) to be cleaned.

And they do come back with iron on numbered tags which can be quite amusing (small a) to find months later when the item has been through domestic  laundry often repeatedly and you are wondering what itches....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, calicakes said:

What am I missing? 

We both had a less than stellar experience on a Viking cruise. And back to Celebrity for us both it seems.  We were both posting our experiences on those boards. Different cruises though, we don’t know each other other than on CC. 

To Laundry. I really don’t like paying so much just to have undies washed so they are a daily handwash item but everything else would go into a bag and come back nice and clean. 

Edited by Pushka