New to Royal, please tell me what things are different

surrocruiser

Hello all, we just booked our very first cruise on Royal Caribbean. We have done Disney, NCL, Princess and Carnival. this will be our 13th cruise. Carnival has been our last 3 bc of traveling with extended family and preferring the 8 day itineraries.

I have established an handful of things I do every cruise but I am wondering what  should we know plan or do differently on Royal Caribbean? We usually bring a fan for cabins that are always hot, 12 pack of soda per person for in the cabin, and order a 12 pack of waters (really cheap) on Carnival, bring a larger reusable tumbler for iced tea and water throughout the day. Anything else you can suggest would be GREATLY appreciated. 😍

You will find the experience to be pretty much the same.  Cabins are generally smaller on RCI than on Carnival or Disney.  The "official" rules prohibit bringing any beverages except for your 2 bottles of wine, but it's rarely enforced, especially with small amounts of water.  Water can be obtained at ANY bar or eating venue, so you won't need to carry that around with you on the ship!

Water is NOT cheap to order on Royal.  Just a heads-up on that.

Otherwise, I think you'll find that Royal does things pretty much the same way as all the mainstream lines do.  

You didn't mention which ship you're going on.  That can make a difference as to what is recommended, as the BIG girls require reservations for many shows, but the other ships don't.  If on Oasis class, make sure you check out the ice skating show and the aquatheater show (suggest to get reservations as early in the week as possible for the aquatheater show, as it can get rescheduled for weather/wind, and if you plan on seeing it later in the week you might miss your chance).

If you're on a ship with a Park Cafe, check out the breakfast and lunch offerings.  They also have some grab-and-go packaged items (sandwiches, salads, fruit cups) that you can take back to eat on your balcony or stash in the cooler/fridge in your room (don't take that food off the ship in port, though). 

On sea days, they serve lunch in the Main Dining Room as well as the buffet, Sorrento's, Cafe Promenade, Park Cafe, etc.  This MDR lunch will include table service with items ordered from a menu, and there will also be a smaller-than-the-Windjammer but still very adequate buffet, plus the ever-popular Tutti Salad Bar.  You don't go to your assigned dinner table for lunch -- they will seat you at a table, often with others sharing a larger table (unless you arrive in a large party together, in which case you'll probably just be seated at a table just for your group).  

The Tutti Salad Bar is a large offering of greens, veggies, and proteins, and you tell the attendant behind the table which items you want and they add it all to a big metal mixing bowl.  Finally you choose your dressing, and they chop and toss your salad all together, finishing by pouring it into a salad bowl and handing it to you to enjoy.  When eating lunch in the MDR, you can have any combination of menu, buffet, and Tutti Salad bar items.  They'll also have a selection of desserts out in the buffet area, plus other dessert items on the menu itself.   

Pool towels get "checked out" at the towel desk on the pool deck -- your card gets scanned for towels checked out and checked in.  Any towels not checked back in by the last night will incur a $25 charge, so check your balance on the last day to make sure all are accounted for.  You don't have to check towels in and out every day, though -- you can exchange wet towels for dry towels without scanning (and then you already have your towel for the next morning, or to take on an excursion in port).  If you'll have kids with you, make sure they know to turn in or exchange all towels, and not just leave them lying around or put them in the hamper on deck without getting scanned credit.

What other types of info are you looking for?  Hope this is helpful....

On 6/29/2019 at 12:39 PM, brillohead said:

Water is NOT cheap to order on Royal.  Just a heads-up on that.

Otherwise, I think you'll find that Royal does things pretty much the same way as all the mainstream lines do.  

You didn't mention which ship you're going on.  That can make a difference as to what is recommended, as the BIG girls require reservations for many shows, but the other ships don't.  If on Oasis class, make sure you check out the ice skating show and the aquatheater show (suggest to get reservations as early in the week as possible for the aquatheater show, as it can get rescheduled for weather/wind, and if you plan on seeing it later in the week you might miss your chance).

If you're on a ship with a Park Cafe, check out the breakfast and lunch offerings.  They also have some grab-and-go packaged items (sandwiches, salads, fruit cups) that you can take back to eat on your balcony or stash in the cooler/fridge in your room (don't take that food off the ship in port, though). 

On sea days, they serve lunch in the Main Dining Room as well as the buffet, Sorrento's, Cafe Promenade, Park Cafe, etc.  This MDR lunch will include table service with items ordered from a menu, and there will also be a smaller-than-the-Windjammer but still very adequate buffet, plus the ever-popular Tutti Salad Bar.  You don't go to your assigned dinner table for lunch -- they will seat you at a table, often with others sharing a larger table (unless you arrive in a large party together, in which case you'll probably just be seated at a table just for your group).  

The Tutti Salad Bar is a large offering of greens, veggies, and proteins, and you tell the attendant behind the table which items you want and they add it all to a big metal mixing bowl.  Finally you choose your dressing, and they chop and toss your salad all together, finishing by pouring it into a salad bowl and handing it to you to enjoy.  When eating lunch in the MDR, you can have any combination of menu, buffet, and Tutti Salad bar items.  They'll also have a selection of desserts out in the buffet area, plus other dessert items on the menu itself.   

Pool towels get "checked out" at the towel desk on the pool deck -- your card gets scanned for towels checked out and checked in.  Any towels not checked back in by the last night will incur a $25 charge, so check your balance on the last day to make sure all are accounted for.  You don't have to check towels in and out every day, though -- you can exchange wet towels for dry towels without scanning (and then you already have your towel for the next morning, or to take on an excursion in port).  If you'll have kids with you, make sure they know to turn in or exchange all towels, and not just leave them lying around or put them in the hamper on deck without getting scanned credit.

What other types of info are you looking for?  Hope this is helpful....

This is EXACTLY the type of info I was looking for!!! Thank you so much for all the info. 

We are sailing on the Harmony of the Seas. 

The tips about the MDR on sea days is amazing and helpful. I can only do buffet for so many days... haha

I wish I could actually ask specific questions but I’m not even sure what I need to ask lol. I know when I went on my first carnival cruise, I wish I knew about the app having the “chat” feature. I didn’t know that they allowed cans of soda only (we showed up with 6 pack of plastic bottles....”. There were less outlets on carnival than I ever remembered on my previous cruises. The mini fridge barely works as a cooler. That type of stuff that I only picked up on after a couple cruises.

Mini fridge is also more of a cooler on Royal.  Drinks will be cool, but not ice cold. If you ask, your room steward will bring ice twice a day if you need it.  

Harmony should have one electric outlet and one USB outlet right next to the bed, plus a couple more of each at the desk.  (Other ships don't have as many.)  The plug in the bathroom is only for shavers, nothing more.  

Walls, ceilings, and doors are metal, so you can use magnets.  I bring these hooks and hang them from the ceiling to dry out wet swimsuits or hand-washed clothing on a hanger.  Hanging from the ceiling by the air vent helps them dry way faster than hanging in the shower where there's no air circulation.

Oasis class ships are HUGE and have SOOOOOOOOO many different things to explore.  Walk around and check it all out.  Don't try to do it all, you'll wear yourself out and be frustrated that you didn't achieve your goal.  Just realize that you'll have to book more cruises to experience all that there is on an Oasis class ship, and go with the flow.   

On 6/28/2019 at 8:42 AM, surrocruiser said:

Hello all, we just booked our very first cruise on Royal Caribbean. We have done Disney, NCL, Princess and Carnival. this will be our 13th cruise. Carnival has been our last 3 bc of traveling with extended family and preferring the 8 day itineraries.

I have established an handful of things I do every cruise but I am wondering what  should we know plan or do differently on Royal Caribbean? We usually bring a fan for cabins that are always hot, 12 pack of soda per person for in the cabin, and order a 12 pack of waters (really cheap) on Carnival, bring a larger reusable tumbler for iced tea and water throughout the day. Anything else you can suggest would be GREATLY appreciated. 😍

You may want to re-post this question on the Royal Caribbean forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/51-royal-caribbean-international/

On 6/28/2019 at 2:18 PM, cb at sea said:

You will find the experience to be pretty much the same.  Cabins are generally smaller on RCI than on Carnival or Disney.  The "official" rules prohibit bringing any beverages except for your 2 bottles of wine, but it's rarely enforced, especially with small amounts of water.  Water can be obtained at ANY bar or eating venue, so you won't need to carry that around with you on the ship!

As usual, you are wrong.

Royal allows bring aboard 12-500 mil non-alcoholic beverages.   This changed about a year or so ago.

On 6/28/2019 at 1:18 PM, cb at sea said:

You now may bring 12 16-oz bottles (plastic) of non-alcoholic beverage per statroom on Royal Caribbean in addition to the wine

On 7/5/2019 at 3:55 PM, SRF said:

As usual, you are wrong.

Royal allows bring aboard 12-500 mil non-alcoholic beverages.   This changed about a year or so ago.

Being a bit snarky? "As usual you are wrong"

23 minutes ago, ggtjr said:

Being a bit snarky? "As usual you are wrong"

Nope, they're just being accurate.  That particular person is on most people's "ignore" list because she pops in and spews something inaccurate or inflammatory and then never returns.  

16 hours ago, brillohead said:

Nope, they're just being accurate.  That particular person is on most people's "ignore" list because she pops in and spews something inaccurate or inflammatory and then never returns.  

Thank you.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 10:42 AM, surrocruiser said:

battery operated or USB powered fan.  a regular plug in one could get confiscated

the rest is permitted and doable except for the water.   they do have a water package but its not 'really cheap'  

and of course never fill  your pwn personal  cups directly from the machines.  

you are also permitted to bring 2 750 Ml bottles of wine per cabin.  corkage fee if you consume it anywhere other than your cabin

1 hour ago, spookwife said:

battery operated or USB powered fan.  a regular plug in one could get confiscated

Fans are not restricted in any way, shape, or form.  Battery, USB, or "regular plug" are all allowed.