Cruise Critic Community
sippican

Galapagos Problems

According to recent developments, the Xpedition license to operate in the Galapagos has been permanently revoked.

https://portalcruceros.cl/celebrity-xpedition-no-podra-operar-en-galapagos-al-verificarse-que-causaba-danos-al-ecosistema-isleno/ 

(you may need to translate by clicking on the flag in the upper right corner)

I wonder what this will mean for all of those booked on Xpedition?

Not sure if this is permanent but here is a translated news article.

The operation license of the Celebrity Xpedition ship in Galapagos was definitively revoked . On June 26, 2019, the Ministry of the Environment decided to annul the appeal filed by the vessel with the sanction given 8 days ago.

The vessel can not operate after a technical report determines serious damage to the ecosystem of the islands. At the same time, it was ordered to verify the way in which the cruise was granted the operating license in the first instance.

In his Twitter account, Minister Marcelo Mata said, this June 27, that: "Ratifying my commitment to preserve the natural heritage of Galapagos, we revoke the permit to the Xpedition vessel, based on a technical report on impact analysis on the ecosystems ".

Celebrity Xpedition belongs to the company Oceanadventures SA whose main offices are located in Quito. It has 90 meters in length and a sleeve of 13 m. The ship is an alternative to larger boats of its kind, which offers more personal attention due to its smaller size.

It looks like the cruises start on Saturday.  This doesn't look good for those in Quito getting ready to fly to Baltra later today.

Glad we canceled our 3 cabins on a Jul 2022 Xpedition cruise as we wouldn’t want to be wondering how this all turns out. Right now with the new X and Silversea ships coming to the Galapagos, it’s not looking good for the Xpedition. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Glad we canceled our 3 cabins on a Jul 2022 Xpedition cruise as we wouldn’t want to be wondering how this all turns out. Right now with the new X and Silversea ships coming to the Galapagos, it’s not looking good for the Xpedition. 

We are booked on Xpedition in 2021. We've been watching Flora and thinking of changing.  I'm glad we have not moved to Flora for the additional cost because the "good" outcome might be that the Xpedition passengers will be placed on Flora!!!! 😁

Edited by sippican

5 minutes ago, sippican said:

We are booked on Xpedition in 2021. We've been watching Flora and thinking of changing.  I'm glad we have not moved to Flora for the additional cost because the "good" outcome might be that the Xpedition passengers will be placed on Flora!!!! 😁

Considering the massive price difference I think it’s much more likely X will just refund and cancel. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

Considering the massive price difference I think it’s much more likely X will just refund and cancel. 

Not necessarily, others that have been recently inconvenienced have been offered to sail Flora. It appears that Flora has not been selling as well as expected  - now offereing BOGOHO as well as up to $1000 air credit to boost sales.

It would not make sense for them to lose all of the Xpedition reservations without offering a handsome incentive, and historically they will go to great lengths to keep even a marginal profit.

Edited by sippican

Some of the comments I read stated that the Galapagos residents were protesting the "big ships" because they offer so much competition to the local tour vendors and small ship operators. I would think the flip side of that would be a significant loss of revenue to merchants, not to mention the  fees paid to the Galapagos National Park ($100  per person I believe). 

Only 100 passengers on Flora. We are booked on Xpedition in 2021. Flora was over $2k more. 

These 100 passenger ships are considered large ships in that area.  Many of the operators have less than 20 on their boats.

Posted (edited)

I am definitely following and would pay the additional 2K for Flora instead of Expedition, especially if it was for 11 days...that is on my bucket list!  I desperately wanted to book for 2011, but 1800 was a lot to put down for such a long time, but I will certainly have to do that.  It will be interesting to see how all of this turns, especially since there are so many booked...one never knows nowadays!

Edited by Lastdance

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

I am definitely following and would pay the additional 2K for Flora instead of Expedition, especially if it was for 11 days...that is on my bucket list!  I desperately wanted to book for 2011, but 1800 was a lot to put down for such a long time, but I will certainly have to do that.  It will be interesting to see how all of this turns, especially since there are so many booked...one never knows nowadays!

I think they are all 7 day itineraries, the additional days are pre and post cruise days.  I didn't feel that post cruise days were very valuable.  I also noticed that the Flora has left port but the Xpedition hasn't left.  

We too are booked for April 2021. The sail date has now sold out too!

The Flora was twice the price, £5600 pp compared to the £2900pp that we paid.

If we have to cancel, I think it will be a few more years of saving to afford the Flora.

We have researched doing the Galapagos.  Celebrity's prices always seem very high compared to some of the other cruises that go there.  It is expensive, no matter that firm you select.

11 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I think they are all 7 day itineraries, the additional days are pre and post cruise days.  I didn't feel that post cruise days were very valuable.  I also noticed that the Flora has left port but the Xpedition hasn't left.  

Which ship tracking site/app are you using?

Not sure when the scheduled dry dock of Xpedition was supposed to happen - sometime once Flora went into service. I'm thinking that's why we're not hearing from cruisers that were booked on Xpedition.

3 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

We have researched doing the Galapagos.  Celebrity's prices always seem very high compared to some of the other cruises that go there.  It is expensive, no matter that firm you select.

I wouldn't call the Flora prices expensive.  I would call them insane.

Why you would spend the price of a really nice car for 7 days in the Galapagos in a suite when you spend the vast majority of your time off the ship?  2 excursions a day, time spent with briefings on those excursions, meals and lounge time and you spend an incredibly short amount of time in your suite.  

If you are interested in the Galapagos rather than your Butler, lots of better options out there (including, if they get it settled, the Xpedition).

54 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

I wouldn't call the Flora prices expensive.  I would call them insane.

Why you would spend the price of a really nice car for 7 days in the Galapagos in a suite when you spend the vast majority of your time off the ship?  2 excursions a day, time spent with briefings on those excursions, meals and lounge time and you spend an incredibly short amount of time in your suite.  

If you are interested in the Galapagos rather than your Butler, lots of better options out there (including, if they get it settled, the Xpedition).

That is exactly why we rebooked Xpedition.  We consider ourselves fortunate to have experienced the Galapagos with the Machu  Picchu extension last November. In hindsight, if I had to choose whether to spend extra for Flora or being able to add MP onto my Xpedition trip, the extension to MP would win hands down. 

That being said, there have been some incredible offers for Flora and the added air credit may be enough to tempt many. No matter how I crunch the numbers, we still would need to pay about $3000 more to switch our 2021 reservation over in addition to what we'd be paying already. I can also upgrade to a suite on Xpedition for half that. (That's another whole vacation for us!)

Although I loved Xpedition, a new ship is enticing, but I'm treally looking forward to sailing Xpedition again with only 64 passengers.

Fingers crossed - we have plenty of time.

15 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Thanks for thanks for your opinion on the extra days.  My cousin wants to do MP on our own, so that would be just the seven days, and not as expensive as Celebrity either...so many decisions and so little time...anyway, I need to do more research for sure!

4 hours ago, sippican said:

Which ship tracking site/app are you using?

Not sure when the scheduled dry dock of Xpedition was supposed to happen - sometime once Flora went into service. I'm thinking that's why we're not hearing from cruisers that were booked on Xpedition.

I have been using Cruisemapper

We were on the Xpedition several years ago.  One of the best trips of our lives.  Sadly, a passenger passed away on our cruise and with so few on board we all felt the loss of a compatriot.  Nevertheless, the ship, the crew, the captain, the scenery, the uniqueness of the the flora and fauna were well worth the expense.  I hope Celebrity can resolve this issue so that Xpedition can continue to sail the Galapagos.

What!!  We just booked this cruise for November 28-Dec 8... had no idea this was happening... yikes 😳🥵

no no mention of this .. including our flights through Celebrity air.  

Got it half off second person and free air .. great deal 😳