Cruise Critic Community
sippican

Galapagos Problems

2 minutes ago, Djesca said:

I think the fact that my sailing was a chartered cruise affected the options, possibly because we were supposed to sail with hired photographers, so we couldn't be split up between different ships.  I'd love to hear if different passengers were given different offers.  I didn't ask if there were other options, but when I first got the call, I asked, "are you calling to move me to the Xploration" and she ( the TA, not a Celebrity rep) replied that that was not available.

So this was the Costco charter cruise in two weeks? I'm sure they worked extra hard to get that one worked out since it was a charter and nobody wants to upset Costco...

18 hours ago, jakeller said:

That's my concern too. Are they going to bump the people in the lower categories?  Those who booked last?  One week before sailing is absurd.

What cruise are you on in May? I'm on the 16th.

We are also on the 16 May cruise and have the Machu Picchu extension after the cruise.

18 hours ago, jakeller said:

That's my concern too. Are they going to bump the people in the lower categories?  Those who booked last?  One week before sailing is absurd.

What cruise are you on in May? I'm on the 16th.

Edited by Mj17ak
Duplicate post

17 hours ago, Djesca said:

I think the fact that my sailing was a chartered cruise affected the options, possibly because we were supposed to sail with hired photographers, so we couldn't be split up between different ships.  I'd love to hear if different passengers were given different offers.  I didn't ask if there were other options, but when I first got the call, I asked, "are you calling to move me to the Xploration" and she ( the TA, not a Celebrity rep) replied that that was not available.

I am really glad that you got the upgrade! If that had been our situation we would have been ecstatic about it. We are trying to decide what to do. CostCo called us she said "Great news, everyone has been upgraded to the Flora and you got upgraded to a suite for free." She tried to sell it to us as an upgrade, we told her that we already paid for a suite and she then admitted that the room is comparable to what we had paid for.  What concerns us is that we had made the decision to splurge on the suite for the trip and have now essentially paid double for the cruise than what other passengers paid for the same room - that doesn't seem like a fair situation. If we decide to cancel, it is only a straight refund and no credit for a future cruise because Celebrity said that they accommodated everyone. It is a frustrating situation. We really want to go - have to confirm we can change the dates - but I also want to make sure that I won't be thinking of how much we paid versus the other people who are sailing.  

LUVSCUBA-Cant wait for your drop box and final thoughts and suggestions for those of us waiting to go on the Expedition!

9 minutes ago, miltonplane88 said:

LUVSCUBA-Cant wait for your drop box and final thoughts and suggestions for those of us waiting to go on the Expedition!

Ditto...  sounds like an amazing cruise and we hope we get the same offer for our November trip  🚢🤞

Giving pax a straight switch to one of their other ships for no additional fee makes the most sense to me. Hopefully they’ll now do that going forward instead of offering a mere discount on another ship. 

18 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Giving pax a straight switch to one of their other ships for no additional fee makes the most sense to me. Hopefully they’ll now do that going forward instead of offering a mere discount on another ship. 

I am really trying not to be a debbie downer. I just  want to clarify what you are saying and I want to make sure that I am not over reacting to the situation (and others please chime in because I want to make sure that I am trying to be reasonable). This is what is happening and I putting in amounts to add perspective - there are people who paid for suites - for example they paid $17000 for the trip in the suite - and people who paid for ocean view rooms paid $10,000 or less. Now, both people have the same suite room for the original price that they paid. The people who paid $17,000 are not getting any sort of refund/discount and they should not be upset about that?  As I said above, if we had bought an ocean view room we would be over the moon to be upgraded all the way to a suite for free. The reason why they were splitting it up was that the Flora only has suites and is almost sold out every week. The Xperience only has ocean view so they were giving discounts because people not in suites were going down a level in the room and they were being compensated for it. 

45 minutes ago, rjochum11 said:

I am really trying not to be a debbie downer. I just  want to clarify what you are saying and I want to make sure that I am not over reacting to the situation (and others please chime in because I want to make sure that I am trying to be reasonable). This is what is happening and I putting in amounts to add perspective - there are people who paid for suites - for example they paid $17000 for the trip in the suite - and people who paid for ocean view rooms paid $10,000 or less. Now, both people have the same suite room for the original price that they paid. The people who paid $17,000 are not getting any sort of refund/discount and they should not be upset about that?  As I said above, if we had bought an ocean view room we would be over the moon to be upgraded all the way to a suite for free. The reason why they were splitting it up was that the Flora only has suites and is almost sold out every week. The Xperience only has ocean view so they were giving discounts because people not in suites were going down a level in the room and they were being compensated for it. 

I agree you shouldn’t be penalized and should be reimbursed to the OV price.    We have only booked OV, so it can only get better for us, I hope 🤞.  But very frustrating to not know what is happening... we are on Deck 3.. the eliminated deck.. soooo ???

guess we will all be waiting to see what happens🤔

Edited by hillslife