Jump to content

Galapagos Problems


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, wannasail4ever said:

Jamaka, if you kept it, would you mind posting a pic of the backpack?  We have backpacks but I'm wondering if those would keep us from having to take ours.

 

Macy

The backpacks are mesh string bags. They are big enough to put in the water bottle, sunscreen and a camera. I used the mesh bag for the first day, and my husband used a regular back pack. After the first day, I gave him my water bottle since he had side pockets and I could easily just pull it out to take a drink. With the mesh back, you have to take it off your back to get to the bottle. He also carried the sunscreen. I carried my camera (DSLR with neck strap) and then I didn't need to have any kind of pack. I would recommend one backpack between the two of you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jamacka said:

 

 

We got the water bottles at the hotel.  Drawstring backpacks were in the cabins

 

I see you were on Flora. I wonder if they have them for Xpedition as well.

5 hours ago, jamacka said:

 

These were the Flora water bottle we got.  Lovely.  From a practical aspect, however, I found they weren't quite big enough and I like a cap that can be operated with one hand like a flip top that can be popped open easily if I'm using it in the car etc..  And it would be handy if the cap was somehow attached to the bottle so it can't be dropped or lost.   But they are lovely and insulated so water stays cold.  And I especially love that they clearly make the point that disposable plastic water bottles are a no-no we should be avoiding not just on the island but everywhere.

I also brought a small backpack with a camelback water bladder.  I found it to me more trouble than it was worth once I got there and figured out the daily routine.

 

As of November, they were still using abysmal wooden walking sticks.  Horrible.  Even the wrist straps are in the wrong place.

E962091A-7829-4377-96A9-86052CA5DCEC_1_201_a.jpeg

 

Those are very nice, but I prefer to use one hand as well.

 

54 minutes ago, Debski1963 said:

The backpacks are mesh string bags. They are big enough to put in the water bottle, sunscreen and a camera. I used the mesh bag for the first day, and my husband used a regular back pack. After the first day, I gave him my water bottle since he had side pockets and I could easily just pull it out to take a drink. With the mesh back, you have to take it off your back to get to the bottle. He also carried the sunscreen. I carried my camera (DSLR with neck strap) and then I didn't need to have any kind of pack. I would recommend one backpack between the two of you.

 

Those sound like the bags they used to hand out in Aquaclass on the big Celebrity ships. I sometimes like to put my camera away and just use the phone or take in the moment, so I don’t think it would work for me. I will probably use a backpack as my personal item on the trip, anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wannasail4ever said:

Jamaka, if you kept it, would you mind posting a pic of the backpack?  We have backpacks but I'm wondering if those would keep us from having to take ours.

 

Macy

  The backpacks are exactly like what someone mentioned earlier about the little white  backpacks they give people in Aquaclass on the big ship.  Only the ones we got on Flora were grey.  They aren't much but like I said, you'll find you really have very little to carry.  You won't want to carry a lot because it can be hot, you have to take them off to put your life jacket on and some excursions can involve scrambling over rocks and through water.  You aren't allowed food or snacks so really, a camera, sunscreen, water and maybe a light layer is all you will need.  Unless you're on a snorkelling excursion then you'll be lugging a big bloody bag of wetsuit, flippers and mask along with your towel.  

 

Here's a few snaps.. the little backpacks.  You also get a packet containing a rain poncho.  We didn't;t use ours because we brought rain jackets with us.  It did rain somewhat the last day when we went to the Darwin Centre and then up into the mountains and planted trees.   Some other pics of excursion action.  Most hikes were not very strenuous but we always took the ones that seemed most exercise because that's what we're into.   The picture is of a wet landing using the Flora zodiacs which have a really nice ladder in the front.  They don't allow you to take your life jacket off until you're on dry land.

 

 

IMG_5172.jpeg

IMG_5173.jpeg

BA97C65F-5853-4CE5-AA87-4E4B0DE43E88.jpeg

F52C109E-B01D-4D8A-B1B9-1B141CDB3C71.jpeg

0F2AE7B7-67C4-4B35-BD0C-CAE1A1CF842A.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hillslife said:

Appreciate all the tips.. we are on the Flora ... leave Feb 28 with Quito extension 😍😍

 

 

Oh you're going to love it!!!  Flora is beautiful and the small size is really nice.  You're pretty much only one deck away from where you want to be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
On 10/7/2019 at 8:18 AM, Botswanamama said:

We have booked the Northern Loop in May 2021.  No roll call yet for the Xpedition so I am hoping someone might be able to answer this question.  We are in 509, the Junior Suite.  Just noticed that it says the bed is a double.  I called and was assured it was a queen size, but if anyone knows for sure could you let me know.  Cannot wait for this trip and have been following everything that’s been happening for the past few months.  Thanks in advance for your help.


 

Did anyone answer about cabin 509?  It’s one of the only junior suites....Anyone know of it’s a double bed?  Is there a sofa bed too???    Also, does the Captain still smoke a ton and if so, does cabin 509 smell of smoke?  
 

are beds in XP (Xpedition suites) double or queen? Thanks! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, miltonplane88 said:

Long time since I've been on this feed....Anybody have any ideas when Celebrity will sail again in the Galapagos??

 

I doubt it will be before 2021. We were scheduled for Xpedition first week of December to celebrate my 50th bday but moved our cruise to the same week in 2021. Celebrity offered to let us do this without increasing the cruise fare and we were able to get our miles back for the air we booked from AA. I think there will have to be wide-spread vaccine availability before cruising can resume most anywhere given what happened just this week with Hurtigruten in Norway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are booked for the Xploration on 10th October but can’t see that happening. 

It’s not just the cruise itself, all but essential travel to Ecuador is not advised from UK and would presume it’s the same for the US as well.

What I have read regarding entry into Ecuador is that negative COVID test certificates are required and they were also saying that 14 days quarantine is applicable too. 

Return to the UK also requires 14 days quarantine.

So far,  according to the Celebrity website, the last cruise cancelled is 26th September but we are just waiting for the date to be pushed forward.

In all honesty, I just want them to confirm the cancellation as soon as possible so we know where we stand and can reschedule for same sort of time 2021.

This cruise was booked using the cruise credit from when the Xpedition ran aground last November.

With the tourist licence issue, civil unrest in Ecuador and then the running aground which all happened last year, it seems like we will never actually get to The Galápagos Islands.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We've just done a lift and shift today from April 2021 to May 2022. We had a good price originally with the buy one get one half price deal. This is a one time trip and don't want to be worrying about quarantine etc....it's just taking the shine of the excitement.

The price had increased very slightly by £100 due to air fare increase.

Wanted to L&S before availability became harder to find.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IAN TREVES said:

We are booked for the Xploration on 10th October but can’t see that happening. 

It’s not just the cruise itself, all but essential travel to Ecuador is not advised from UK and would presume it’s the same for the US as well.

What I have read regarding entry into Ecuador is that negative COVID test certificates are required and they were also saying that 14 days quarantine is applicable too. 

Return to the UK also requires 14 days quarantine.

So far,  according to the Celebrity website, the last cruise cancelled is 26th September but we are just waiting for the date to be pushed forward.

In all honesty, I just want them to confirm the cancellation as soon as possible so we know where we stand and can reschedule for same sort of time 2021.

This cruise was booked using the cruise credit from when the Xpedition ran aground last November.

With the tourist licence issue, civil unrest in Ecuador and then the running aground which all happened last year, it seems like we will never actually get to The Galápagos Islands.

 

HI from Southern California.  Yes, we were booked on that 2019 Galapagos cruise with you.  As I recall, you had just left the car park at Heathrow. I heard a tentative cancellation with our bags in the trunk (or as you would say, boot) , essentially on the way to the airport.  The cruise was finally cancelled for us with DW 15 minutes from leaving for LAX.

 

So now we're booked for a Japan cruise on October 11, and we're waiting, just like you, for Celebrity to make up its mind.

 

Carry on.  You Brits got us through WWII, so I'm confident we can survive Celebrity.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are booked on the Exhibition for March of '21.  I'm beginning to think that it might be best to shift forward with all of the quarantine measures.   I'll have to check into prices and see how that works out.  I guess it will work out at some point in the future.  Surely hope things get "well"!

 

Macy

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SoCalTraveler said:

 

HI from Southern California.  Yes, we were booked on that 2019 Galapagos cruise with you.  As I recall, you had just left the car park at Heathrow. I heard a tentative cancellation with our bags in the trunk (or as you would say, boot) , essentially on the way to the airport.  The cruise was finally cancelled for us with DW 15 minutes from leaving for LAX.

 

So now we're booked for a Japan cruise on October 11, and we're waiting, just like you, for Celebrity to make up its mind.

 

Carry on.  You Brits got us through WWII, so I'm confident we can survive Celebrity.

Just received email from Celebrity saying our October cruise is cancelled - actually it's a relief knowing where we stand. Our travel agent is going to speak to Celebrity and hopefully re-arrange for Feb/March 2022. From what I can make out, the cruise credit will be 125% of the cost of the cancelled cruise which was also a cruise credit. Presumably this allows for any price increases so we will not have to pay any more towards it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We were part of the Nov 2019 Xpedition Accident Cancellation, have rescheduled to Nov 2021 but hoping to move forward to Spring 2021. Are scheduled to do South America Antarctica trip Dec 20/Jan21 but that will likely get canceled, and that leaves us with the possibility of 4 trips between August & January of 22, Too many days off work...

 

At some point these countries are going to have to wake up and realize they are going broke at a fast rate, and open things up...

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, miltonplane88 said:

At some point these countries are going to have to wake up and realize they are going broke at a fast rate, and open things up...

 

Like Florida? That's been a shining example of success in managing the virus and economy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Northern loop on Xploration booked for Feb 12th sailing 2022. 

Thought we would give all of 2021 a miss just reduce chances of this situation messing up yet another cruise.

Fingers crossed for 2022 - hopefully third time lucky.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 10/6/2020 at 9:49 AM, miltonplane88 said:

Anybody heard any talk, rumors about Celebrity returning to service in the Galapagos??

 

4 hours ago, savethepandas said:

Saw that the JW Marriott Quito just recently closed "temporarily."   Maybe for six months? maybe longer?  Fallout economically due to covid, lack of tourism/ hotel guests...

They need COVID cases to decline.  SA has continuing high case numbers and limited medical facilities.  To resume cruising in the Galapagos need borders, countries and ports to open.  Not likely to happen any time soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, miltonplane88 said:

Has anyone heard anything about resuming Galapagos trips?, now that we have had both doses of vaccine, anxious to see the World again.

I haven’t, except for bright cheerful emails from Celebrity about how they are waiting to welcome me aboard. Those likely mean nothing. We are booked on Xpedition in late November.  We are also fully vaccinated, and are keeping our fingers crossed. 
 

Looking at the Equador requirements, they should be able to sail. Perhaps there are issues with staff and vaccines?

Edited by ridge4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, miltonplane88 said:

Has anyone heard anything about resuming Galapagos trips?, now that we have had both doses of vaccine, anxious to see the World again.

We are scheduled for the Flora on June 27, 2021.  Hoping it’s a go!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KT+5 said:

We are scheduled for the Flora on June 27, 2021.  Hoping it’s a go!

We got xcled when the Xpedition hit the rocks a week prior to our scheduled trip in 2019, now rescheduled to Nov 21, however due to 5 other Covid- Xcl's we have too many trips planned. Ideally would like to go this June. Although scheduled for Quito plus Galapagos, would actually prefer to skip Quito (spend night before at airport hotel in Quito then direct Baltra next day). Have you heard anything from Celebrity??

Thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites

We were looking at doing the Galapagos, you can do it on a cruise or land tour.

 

Celebrity's prices are significantly higher, but clearly their cruise ships are very nice.

 

Still, I found an very good tour of 13 days for about $4000pp.   It includes a visit to the Amazon.

 

https://www.gate1travel.com/small-groups/small-group/2022/small-groups-ecuador-13dgeaa22.aspx?Brand=DISCOVER

 

The cheapest 7 day cruise of the Galapagos with Celebrity is about $5500 per person.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...