Galapagos Problems

Our trip is already paid for in full on Xpedition for the 10 Day Quito/Galapagos package (we only need to pay the air MIA -UIO) about 70% of that was the FCC from the 11-19Xcl Xpedition trip (hit the rocks)

On 3/30/2021 at 4:28 PM, miltonplane88 said:

We got xcled when the Xpedition hit the rocks a week prior to our scheduled trip in 2019, now rescheduled to Nov 21, however due to 5 other Covid- Xcl's we have too many trips planned. Ideally would like to go this June. Although scheduled for Quito plus Galapagos, would actually prefer to skip Quito (spend night before at airport hotel in Quito then direct Baltra next day). Have you heard anything from Celebrity??

Thank you

We just booked last week.  We’ve had several emails since confirming our plans.  We are doing the 2 days in Quito prior to boarding.  I guess we won’t know until the first cruise sets sail the week prior, I think. again, we aren’t holding our breath.  Our cruises to Europe, Singapore, and New Zealand have been canceled over the last year, we are getting use to it now! 

DW and I have an 11-day Galapagos cruise (Xpedition) in December. I really, really want to know how the first cruises work and what doesn't work. I can imagine a  number of things Celebrity could do to keep us safer than on nearly any other itinerary and am anxious to hear what is implemented.

For those reading and commenting on this thread, do you intend to comment on that sort of thing here or should a new thread be started? I am new enough here that I don't know if there's a standard thread for such things.

With only 48Pax on the Xpedition and about 100 on the Flora- there was virtually ZERO activity on any of the Roll Calls, this has been the best source to connect with interested folks. Yes we want the same info as you want.

We're booked on the 11 day Outer Loop on Flora this December, and see that Celebrity is still booking cruises for June. I'm hoping that we hear from anyone who has had their cruise cancelled in June, or later in the year, lets us know. 

On 4/6/2021 at 10:56 AM, HskrCrsr said:

DW and I have an 11-day Galapagos cruise (Xpedition) in December. I really, really want to know how the first cruises work and what doesn't work. I can imagine a  number of things Celebrity could do to keep us safer than on nearly any other itinerary and am anxious to hear what is implemented.

For those reading and commenting on this thread, do you intend to comment on that sort of thing here or should a new thread be started? I am new enough here that I don't know if there's a standard thread for such things.

I’ll be happy to report back after my cruise June 27, if it actually goes.  We have booked our flights & made note of what we need to enter Quito and then to Galapagos.  

Just now, KT+5 said:

I’ll be happy to report back after my cruise June 27, if it actually goes.  We have booked our flights & made note of what we need to enter Quito and then to Galapagos.  

That would be awesome! I very much appreciate anything you can share.

Good luck with this cruise, I hope it happens, and I hope you have a great vacation!

21 hours ago, KT+5 said:

Ouch! It looks like June has now been cancelled for all but a precious few sailings, and Galapagos looks to be cancelled through June. I am sorry if yours is, in fact, cancelled. And I hope they can accommodate you for something soon!  

1 hour ago, HskrCrsr said:

Ouch! It looks like June has now been cancelled for all but a precious few sailings, and Galapagos looks to be cancelled through June. I am sorry if yours is, in fact, cancelled. And I hope they can accommodate you for something soon!  

Drat.  That is quite disappointing. We are booked for late November on Xpedition. Final will be due in late July. If the Galapagos cruises don’t start up before then, we will likely cancel. It’s just too much money to lay out for a dormant product. 

52 minutes ago, ridge4 said:

Drat.  That is quite disappointing. We are booked for late November on Xpedition. Final will be due in late July. If the Galapagos cruises don’t start up before then, we will likely cancel. It’s just too much money to lay out for a dormant product. 

We are booked for mid December on Xpedition and are holding our breath. I have been wondering which is better - cancel or hope for 125% FCC if cruises aren't going by final payment. A "bonus" 25% of the Galapagos fare is substantial but I might have trouble finding a good way to put it to good use. Agreed, that is a lot of money to just sit idle. Good luck!

We are booked mid December on the 10 nite package.  Just reading about all CEL cruises cancelled thru June.  We do not understand why Galapagos is canceled.  We have a friend who lives there (expat) and we have researched Ecuador's entry requirements.  There does not seem to be any reason for the Galapagos cancellation.  What am I missing?

I certainly cant see an issue with going from US-Quito-Baltra without exploring Quito on the front end of the trip. Is the JWMarriot still closed in Quito. The CDC has no authority in the Galapagos and other tours ARE going

2 minutes ago, miltonplane88 said:

I certainly cant see an issue with going from US-Quito-Baltra without exploring Quito on the front end of the trip. Is the JWMarriot still closed in Quito. The CDC has no authority in the Galapagos and other tours ARE going

I tried to book a room at the Marriott and none are available now, so might still be closed. 

15 minutes ago, cruiseonward said:

We are booked mid December on the 10 nite package.  Just reading about all CEL cruises cancelled thru June.  We do not understand why Galapagos is canceled.  We have a friend who lives there (expat) and we have researched Ecuador's entry requirements.  There does not seem to be any reason for the Galapagos cancellation.  What am I missing?

This is a great question. The Galapagos cruises are so different from the other Celebrity cruises so I can come up with reasons for and against. Even with the high prices, how profitable are these with the low number of passengers? Would they have to sail with reduced capacity? There is a need for naturalists - are they ready & willing to spend so much time near guests who have all recently traveled via airplane (not that this has been shown as a major source of spread)? Every guest will spend a week in frequent contact with the same set of other guests so a single contagious person could spread to several others. Is there a good way to isolate a COVID-positive person? There is no good way to quickly get a sick person back to a hospital or leave them at a reasonable port. At the same time, if everyone is COVID-free, then it's an ideal situation and as safe as can be. Maybe CEL needs to get some cruises completed and learn some lessons before they are willing to widen their offerings. Or maybe they need case numbers to drop a little more, and those numbers have plateaued recently, perhaps increasing in key places.

Just some guessing.

With a 100% Vac crew and Pax the risk of illness from Covid requiring hospitalization is astronomical, I would almost guarantee that all the crew would rather work than still at home unpaid. At some point the interest in travelling by ship will diminish....How many times can folks like us (6 cruises xclled) keep rescheduling before giving up?

57 minutes ago, cruiseonward said:

If you are missing something, I am too. I have researched the Ecuador and specialized requirements for Galapagos specifically. We should be good to go with proper proof of testing or vaccination. Something is still an issue from the Celebrity side, it seems. 

39 minutes ago, HskrCrsr said:

I tried to book a room at the Marriott and none are available now, so might still be closed. 

This is a great question. The Galapagos cruises are so different from the other Celebrity cruises so I can come up with reasons for and against. Even with the high prices, how profitable are these with the low number of passengers? Would they have to sail with reduced capacity? There is a need for naturalists - are they ready & willing to spend so much time near guests who have all recently traveled via airplane (not that this has been shown as a major source of spread)? Every guest will spend a week in frequent contact with the same set of other guests so a single contagious person could spread to several others. Is there a good way to isolate a COVID-positive person? There is no good way to quickly get a sick person back to a hospital or leave them at a reasonable port. At the same time, if everyone is COVID-free, then it's an ideal situation and as safe as can be. Maybe CEL needs to get some cruises completed and learn some lessons before they are willing to widen their offerings. Or maybe they need case numbers to drop a little more, and those numbers have plateaued recently, perhaps increasing in key places.

Just some guessing.

Wish we knew more about what the plans are for the Galapagos sailings. Hubby and I are not getting any younger. One day soon we won’t be fit enough for this type adventure. I can’t stand the thought of missing out. 

On 4/8/2021 at 1:32 PM, ridge4 said:

Wish we knew more about what the plans are for the Galapagos sailings. Hubby and I are not getting any younger. One day soon we won’t be fit enough for this type adventure. I can’t stand the thought of missing out. 

If it's any consolation, you can still enjoy the Galapagos with limited mobility. On our 2013 trip, a woman who had had knee surgery in the month or so prior went on a bunch of excursions. The crew lifted her in and out of the panga as necessary.  They (and she) were brilliant.

On 4/7/2021 at 5:30 AM, isnowman said:

We're booked on the 11 day Outer Loop on Flora this December, and see that Celebrity is still booking cruises for June. I'm hoping that we hear from anyone who has had their cruise cancelled in June, or later in the year, lets us know. 

Celebrity is also still booking a 14 day TA that sails out of NY and stops in Halifax CANADA.  

Posted (edited)

We canceled our Flora 11 day cruise for the end of June.  I researched all the information, and eveerything seemed okay.  Even got a card in the mail about the trip. but not any other information.  I wanted more difinitive information about the trip, but there wasn't any.  We wanted to be sure to receive our 1,800 back...I will book again because I really, really want to go!  

Edited by Lastdance
On 4/10/2021 at 2:52 AM, critterchick said:

If it's any consolation, you can still enjoy the Galapagos with limited mobility. On our 2013 trip, a woman who had had knee surgery in the month or so prior went on a bunch of excursions. The crew lifted her in and out of the panga as necessary.  They (and she) were brilliant.

Wow, that’s great. Thanks for posting!

• 3 weeks later...

It's really tough not hearing from Celebrity as to the status of Galap cruises...

On one hand, it sounds encouraging that apparently all Galap adult residents have been vaccinated - 

"And another great news arrived on March 15, 2021 as the Galapagos islands became the first region in the entire country where all residents got vaccinated against Covid19!"

Entrance now easier as vaccinated travelers allowed to enter Ecuador, and crew to be vaccinated.

On the other hand, Ecuador as a country, as well as South America, not doing well with covid.  Brazil is dire.  Only 1.4% of Ecuador vaccinated.   Per TripAdvisor, JW Marriott was to open end of April, but still hasn't, with no known date.

As of April 20,  US State Dept raised travel alert to Level 4 - "do not travel due to high covid".   How can Celebrity/Royal Caribbean, HQ'd in Miami, proceed to a country that's at level 4 alert??!!

We have to decide by mid June with final payment for October sailing, using FCC from previous cancelations (licensing, hit the rocks).  Not clear if "cruise with confidence" where 100% FCC given, includes refunds on deposit/taxes/port fees?  Not to mention, the $200 cancellation fee per person with Flights by Celebrity airfare.

Still just guessing...

Mexico is also  Level 4, do not travel.  Celebrity is visiting ports in Mexico and folks from the U.S. have been traveling to Mexico even at the height of the pandemic.   It is an advisory and many choose to ignore them.

Regarding FCC's, Celebrity says this: "All existing Future Cruise Certificates are now valid for use through April 30, 2022 on Celebrity Cruise sailings departing on or before September 30, 2022." I am not sure if that helps.

These Galapagos cruises are so different from others that Celebrity has options not normally available. Maybe cover flight changes and have all passengers stay in some other city, or even country, rather than Quito. Or use Quito but keep everyone isolated, maybe scrapping some of the pre-cruise tours. If they get creative they can limit our exposure in Ecuador. I think. 

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Mexico is also  Level 4, do not travel.  Celebrity is visiting ports in Mexico and folks from the U.S. have been traveling to Mexico even at the height of the pandemic.   It is an advisory and many choose to ignore them.

Almost the entire world is Level 4.  If that is your standard, you can't leave home.