DIY Naples

newtocruise_rj

Hi All. We are going to Naples on our cruise in July and since we have both been fortunate enough to visit all the nearby gems such as Sorrento, Capri, Pompeii, Vesuvius etc. Therefore, we have decided we're going to just stay in Naples and explore on our own. However, we have heard very mixed reviews about Naples itself so wondered if anyone had any recommendations for which areas are best to visit on foot from the port and any nice places for an authentic pizza for lunch!
Thanks in advance 

Well we enjoyed Naples.  We went and visited the Palace which is not that far from where you leave the ship.  There is a very old coffee place nearby on the main street.  Then we went to visit a church on the square and there was a police wedding going on and it was fascinating.

You can get the metro to the archeology museum, stop is very near the port and then return the same way or walk back, all very easy and you will no doubt see somewhere that grabs your fancy for lunch.

4 hours ago, newtocruise_rj said:

However, we have heard very mixed reviews about Naples itself so wondered if anyone had any recommendations for which areas are best to visit on foot from the port and any nice places for an authentic pizza for lunch!
Thanks in advance 

Fascinating and very individual city - just wander about and take your choice from one or more of these:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/may/29/10-best-pizzerias-naples-italy-world-pizza-making-championships-pepe-in-grani

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/naples/attractions/a/poi-sig/359879

Certain areas are not wholly safe (as in any city) - stick to the busier thoroughfares and take care around the port area.

• Like 1

We went to the museum and then walked back towards the port.

We looked for the restaurant with the most Italians and had a pizza............we chose napoli (obviously) and have to say it was pretty amazing.

Afterwards we took a funicular up above the town and sat in a park and ate ice cream looking down on the ship. A thoroughly enjoyable day.

10 hours ago, happy v said:

We went to the museum and then walked back towards the port.

We looked for the restaurant with the most Italians and had a pizza............we chose napoli (obviously) and have to say it was pretty amazing.

Afterwards we took a funicular up above the town and sat in a park and ate ice cream looking down on the ship. A thoroughly enjoyable day.

I agree - we’ve been to Naples on a few occasions and the funicular takes you high above the city.  There’s not as many tourists up there - more a place where locals shop and eat/drink from what I can remember.  We love Naples and, as long as you’re aware of your surroundings, don’t walk around flaunting ‘bling’ etc, we’ve always felt safe. There’s also a lovely shopping arcade ‘Galleria Umberto 1’ on Via Giuseppe Verdi which is worth seeing for the beautiful building alone.

• Like 2

You didn’t mention it, but if you haven’t been to Herculaneum, then it is well worth a visit. We found it more interesting than Pompeii and much less busy. It is easy to take the train there and back from Naples

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bedruthen said:

You didn’t mention it, but if you haven’t been to Herculaneum, then it is well worth a visit. We found it more interesting than Pompeii and much less busy. It is easy to take the train there and back from Naples

Sorry yes we have done Herculaneum before! But agree that is definitely worth doing and far less busy than Pompeii

The narrow streets between the Piazza Dante on Via Toledo and the Duomo on Via Duome, particularly Via Del Tribunali, probably look pretty much the same now as they did centuries ago. Get a good map in case you get lost (you probably will) and just wander.

Edited by Denarius
spelling

On 7/1/2019 at 4:17 PM, DamianG said:

Some great suggestions here. If you need a refreshment stop whilst wandering and like white wine then I would recommend locally produced Greco di Tufo which is a favourite of ours.

I agree, lots of great suggestions! I'm so pleased I asked! Oh that sounds lovely, thanks very much, we do indeed like white wine!

Just a warning that we read on CC that the area between the port and the town isn't particularly safe for tourists. I have a friend who has relatives in Naples and they totally agreed with this (and they have lived there all their lives and are 'street wise'). Personally, I would get a taxi in to the main part of the town and not walk in. A personal decision but thought I'd share.

Totally agree re Herculaneum - it is awesome

Edited by Presto2

36 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Just a warning that we read on CC that the area between the port and the town isn't particularly safe for tourists. I have a friend who has relatives in Naples and they totally agreed with this (and they have lived there all their lives and are 'street wise'). Personally, I would get a taxi in to the main part of the town and not walk in. A personal decision but thought I'd share.

Totally agree re Herculaneum - it is awesome

Presto2 is correct, you do need to take adequate precautions to avoid thefts (or getting run over!) from the motorcycle riders that grab bags or pickpockets but no more so than say Barcelona. Rule of thumb, take cash you can afford to lose and not credit cards, passport or fancy jewellery etc.

We have heard a lot of horror stories from other pax re pickpockets but have I never had any issues myself as I keep my wits about me (as I would in any major city) and minimise risk. We have been to Naples dozens of times.

Herculaneum is better than Pompeii imo.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Presto2 is correct, you do need to take adequate precautions to avoid thefts (or getting run over!) from the motorcycle riders that grab bags or pickpockets but no more so than say Barcelona. Rule of thumb, take cash you can afford to lose and not credit cards, passport or fancy jewellery etc.

We have heard a lot of horror stories from other pax re pickpockets but have I never had any issues myself as I keep my wits about me (as I would in any major city) and minimise risk. We have been to Naples dozens of times.

Herculaneum is better than Pompeii imo.

Agree with this, we've been to Naples several times without any problems but always take care with our belongings. Personally I tend to favour walking trousers or shorts which have zip pockets for our cash and cruise cards.

• 1 month later...

Agree, I have a cross body bag, but carry only a small amount of cash.  Husband has a hidden cash bag which attaches to his belt but hidden in his trousers.  There was lots of building work going on from the port but we found it an easy walk in.

It is an easy walk in (only a mile and a quarter to either the Archaeology museum or the Duomo, the two furthest points most head to) but as it's uphill, many choose to take the metro from the beautiful and relatively new Municipio station across from the cruise port.  (At some point in the future there will be an entrance to this station quite close to the cruise port, that's part of the ongoing work in the area.)

You can take the metro three stops to Museo if you're going to the museum, or two stops to Dante if you're going to Spaccanapoli and the rest of the historic center, and easily walk back from there, downhill.

The cautions about pickpockets are warranted, not just in Naples but throughout Italy (and the rest of Europe, for that matter) in urban areas and any crowded situation.  

Naples looks a little scruffy, but there are many hidden gems.

Some good suggestions above, and in addition to the sites already mentioned, if you also look at Tripadvisor reviews and photos you will find you are actually  spoiled for choice and that one day isn't going to be enough.

We were back in Naples in June, and having explored much of it on previous visits, this time we opted for a repeat to via San Gregorio Armeno, the street where the nativity sets are made and sold. Much more touristy nowadays but each Christmas we bring out the little set we bought on our first visit around 25 years ago. It is in the most historic area which also includes the Gesu Nuovo Church, and just around the corner,  the Complesso Monumentale  di Santa Chiara. We enjoyed them all. The area is mentioned in a previous post. Spaccanapoli.

Can also recommend the views from the Castel Sant' Elmo (can go up by funicular)

Edited by edinburgher

We get Travel + Leisure magazine at work, and this month is the Best Restaurants issue. I read about this place on my lunch break today. There was a glowing review of a pizzeria called Sorbillo in Naples. I think we will look for it when we are there next May. They said prices were between €5-€9 per person.