Plastic water bottles

Dusko

Seabourn has had for years, a filtering system that generates water for drinking.  While some people ask for / expect / demand bottled water they do serve water in the dining venues from that system in pitchers.  Another issue, IMO, is the number of paper coffee cups used, along w/ the plastic lids.  We bring our own refillable travel coffee mugs.

For those who want to limit the number of single use plastic bottles that get discarded (and end up floating in the ocean gyres...), you can buy refillable plastic water bottles that pack flat, and sort of fold open as you fill them, and have nice secure screw tops.  They weigh nothing and - empty - take up no space.  I have one I've used for years.  They can be found at outdoor stores such as REI, or other places selling backpacking supplies.  I believe mine holds half a liter. 

I take it along on day outings from the ship, and have reliable, safe water when I need it.  When we get back to the bus, or close to the ship, I dump the water, fold it up and put in a pocket - so hands are free.  Unlike a rigid stainless steel or aluminum bottle, this packs flat and saves critical volume when packing, or should I say, cramming stuff in your carry on.  

1 hour ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

For those who want to limit the number of single use plastic bottles that get discarded (and end up floating in the ocean gyres...), you can buy refillable plastic water bottles that pack flat, and sort of fold open as you fill them, and have nice secure screw tops.  They weigh nothing and - empty - take up no space.  I have one I've used for years.  They can be found at outdoor stores such as REI, or other places selling backpacking supplies.  I believe mine holds half a liter. 

I take it along on day outings from the ship, and have reliable, safe water when I need it.  When we get back to the bus, or close to the ship, I dump the water, fold it up and put in a pocket - so hands are free.  Unlike a rigid stainless steel or aluminum bottle, this packs flat and saves critical volume when packing, or should I say, cramming stuff in your carry on.  

Do you fill it from the bottles in your suite or from the tap?

On 7/6/2019 at 9:37 AM, Mahogany said:

But while it's still in this SB forum, let me commend you for your work, a truly noble and let's hope, not too lofty, a goal.

Thank you for the words of encouragement 🙂  We have so very far to go....

Onboard now, and yes plastic water bottle are going👍. They now have refillable bottles in the suite, refilled daily by stewardess. They're using the Nordaq water filtration system, and I must say, I am a bottled water fan!, but this water actually tasted very good, pure and no irony taste. 

I have been researching folding or collapsing water bottles.....and there are some nifty items out there.   If SB is using the Nordaq water filtration system, which Thomas Keller uses in his restaurants, then these convenient refillable bottles are a great solution.  Depending on where you are in the world, refilling them off the ship would require some careful observation of the source of the water. 

Refilling your original original plastic water bottle may or may not be a good idea.   There are many contradictory articles published.  One thing is clear to me.....any container that you put to your lips must be thoroughly washed & dried between uses.  I would think this particularly important while traveling.  A typical water bottle is thin ( which allows for microscopic cracks that harbor bacteria) and difficult to wash & dry properly.....an alternative bottle whether plastic or metal that allows a wider opening after taking off the drinking cap lends itself to proper cleaning.   I think you take a chance with reusing plastic that is designed for single use.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cece50 said:

I think you take a chance with reusing plastic that is designed for single use.  

Cece50

you make an excellent point.  Being a germaphobe, I bring on every cruise, a bottle of Dawn dish soap, antibacterial hand soap and disinfectant  hand gel. I wipe down everything in my suite that a human hand could  touch several times a cruise with antibacterial wipes and I wash everything in the suite that touches my lips with Dawn and hot water. And I never ever ever touch the stair hand rails. 

I didn’t know about the micro cracks in water bottles so yuck - I’ll never reuse them again. Thanks for the info.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cece50 said:

Refilling your original original plastic water bottle may or may not be a good idea.   There are many contradictory articles published.  One thing is clear to me.....any container that you put to your lips must be thoroughly washed & dried between uses.  I would think this particularly important while traveling.  A typical water bottle is thin ( which allows for microscopic cracks that harbor bacteria) and difficult to wash & dry properly.....an alternative bottle whether plastic or metal that allows a wider opening after taking off the drinking cap lends itself to proper cleaning.   I think you take a chance with reusing plastic that is designed for single use.  

I very much agree with this post cece50. 

The single use bottles are prone to micro damage, and poor/no cleaning that will no doubt harbour bacteria over time.Avoid !

As advised up thread I have used for some time now a refillable bottle that meets your criteria ie the top unscrews to reveal an opening that is large enough for proper and fuss free cleaning - there are many brands producing a similar design.  I keep a small one in my jacket pocket/hand luggage when travelling, and have it with me every morning for my brisk 6 mile walk (OK - maybe the final 5 miles aren't quite so brisk 😉)

I'm not sure what the fuss would be about carrying & using something like this - assuming of course that the cruise organisation provided decent water 'on tap' - and people spend a few seconds each day cleaning/sterilising their bottle rather than dumping more single use plastic bottles into the trash. 

A thought - on a single 14 day cruise on Seabourn Ovation, with each passenger using say 2 single use bottles a day - this equals nearly 17,000 plastic bottles in the trash - on just one cruise.   

819rVDDBKpL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.ee5a34664d3bc5b916ebbfd2d38d1081.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2019 at 5:58 AM, raphael360 said:

Cece50

you make an excellent point.  Being a germaphobe, I bring on every cruise, a bottle of Dawn dish soap, antibacterial hand soap and disinfectant  hand gel. I wipe down everything in my suite that a human hand could  touch several times a cruise with antibacterial wipes and I wash everything in the suite that touches my lips with Dawn and hot water. And I never ever ever touch the stair hand rails. 

I didn’t know about the micro cracks in water bottles so yuck - I’ll never reuse them again. Thanks for the info.  

Interesting. At one point in my career we studied the design of Ferries (also human cargo carriers) to try and implement changes that would make them safer. It was difficult because by far the greatest number of accidents on vessels are caused by the failure of passengers to use handrails.

Edited by Dusko
correcting grammar
  • Haha 1

Any new reports of how this is going?  And the refillable bottles a normal size bottle for taking off the ship, or large for refilling our reusable water bottle?  Where I live (Memphis) we have some of the best tasting tap water in the country ( it comes from wells). We just refill our glass or water bottle.  Can we do this on the Quest?

It was the same as Chairsin's experience for our cruise in July on Odyssey. 

What we did though was take our insulated flask and filled it with ice water from the ice bucket and topped with water from the refillable bottles before going out for the day. It worked out great because the water was still chilled all day while we were out exploring the Greek Isles. A major bonus to have it chilled due to the heat wave we encountered. 

I have already packed two insulated flasks for our next holiday.