Snorkeling Questions Black Rock at Kaanapali

renee1222

Is there a dive shop offering rental equipment to snorkel,  or do we need to bring our own?  And is there a fee to snorkel (in addition to renting equipment)?

Is the water usually calm?  We've snorkeled several times, but just once was the water so choppy that I felt uncomfortable (in Aruba).

Is there a place to leave towels,  bags etc?

3 hours ago, renee1222 said:

Is the water usually calm?  We've snorkeled several times, but just once was the water so choppy that I felt uncomfortable (in Aruba).

The conditions are generally favorable for snorkeling but don’t go out when it’s rough.  Maui County promotes the saying...when in doubt, don’t go out...which for visitors determined to snorkel despite the conditions can be very risky.

Local news sources too often have coverage about visitors who ignore the conditions resulting in a fatal mistake.  Most are 50+ who might also have an underlying health condition.  I’ve also read statistics that Black Rock has the highest incidence of incidents but it also attracts the highest number of inexperienced snorkelers.

As long as you respect the conditions it’s a good place to snorkel.  Mornings are the best time to go because after noon winds increase resulting in rougher conditions & poorer visibility.

There is no fee to snorkel & all Hawaii beaches are public.  I can’t help with equipment rentals because we have our own gear.  Living in South Maui most of our snorkeling & diving is in the Wailea area.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Each of the hotels along the beach have a small shop with rental equipment. I don't think I would go as far as calling them dive shops because I don't think they are that specialized, but you can rent snorkels, fins, etc along with other things like boogie boards, standup paddle boards, and surfboards. 

The watersports desk at the Sheraton is located next to the Mai Tai bar near the pool area.