formal nights

delgirl

1 hour ago, snaefell said:

Looks can be deceptive!

Yes, as can be first impressions. But, as the old saying goes, clothes make the man.  

And, a person's attire does say something about them, good, bad, or indifferent and we all make judgements based on that attire.

Just imagine the ships captain and senior crew dressing in sneakers, torn jeans, and logo T-shirts.  Or an airplane pilot boarding in shorts, T-shirt, and flip flops. Imagine going to a lawyer or banker and the person looked like they had just finished a round of yard work.

Yes, attire is important.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Yes, as can be first impressions. But, as the old saying goes, clothes make the man.  

And, a person's attire does say something about them, good, bad, or indifferent and we all make judgements based on that attire.

Just imagine the ships captain and senior crew dressing in sneakers, torn jeans, and logo T-shirts.  Or an airplane pilot boarding in shorts, T-shirt, and flip flops. Imagine going to a lawyer or banker and the person looked like they had just finished a round of yard work.

Not sure I agree, if we all based our judgement on first impressions most defendants would walk free!. I can think of lot's of rather dubious characters that dress very well - I wouldn't want to be sat next to them for dinner!! Clothes don't always make the man!!!

There is also a vast difference between somebody being paid to work in a professional capacity, thus dressing accordingly, and somebody who has paid for a relaxing holiday!

As usual,this has started to get personal,with the odd snipe being chucked in.As I've said I was a plumber for 45+ years,so wearing a suit on a cruise is something I look forward to.On land based holidays,I wear smart casual.It's as simple as that.There is no excuse for not knowing the dress code before a cruise,so why try and change,what is the norm for most of us.As the opposite of a hurray Henry,I never thought I would use the cliche "there are other less formal cruiselines out there" or AI packages in Cancun.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Other people being dressed as you describe would not worry me one bit or consider them any less capable of doing their jobs.

As for appearances I have seen plenty of people on cruises who were very smartly dressed but whos' behaviour certainly rules them out of the elegant category!

56 minutes ago, snaefell said:

Other people being dressed as you describe would not worry me one bit or consider them any less capable of doing their jobs.

As for appearances I have seen plenty of people on cruises who were very smartly dressed but whos' behaviour certainly rules them out of the elegant category!

I never judge a book by its cover,neither would I go to a library and tell them to change the rules because I did not like them.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2019 at 9:55 PM, Denarius said:

I think that you are spot on the mark there. If gentlemen are required to wear dinner jackets or lounge suits, ladies should be required to dress to the equivalent standard of formality and wear evening gowns or cocktail dresses. "Slacks and a nice top" should be no more acceptable for ladies than it is for gentlemen.

Tin hat on!

I have to say I raised my eyebrows at this post. I was quite surprised that in 2019 there'd be a comment that implied it wasn't ok for women to wear trousers and they should wear gowns or dresses

Does anyone still wear 'slacks' these days?. I always think of slacks being made of Crimplene or nylon.

I have worn what I class as evening trousers on formal night, teamed with sparkly or lacy tops (the type of top that looks like the top half of an evening or cocktail dress).  I always feel very appropriately dressed.  I sometimes wear a cocktail dress, but I no longer wear long dresses.

I had no idea I might be offending any sensibilities by wearing my evening trousers 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I have to say I raised my eyebrows at this post. I was quite surprised that in 2019 there'd be a comment that implied it wasn't ok for women to wear trousers and they should wear gowns or dresses

Does anyone still wear 'slacks' these days?. I always think of slacks being made of Crimplene or nylon.

I have worn what I class as evening trousers on formal night, teamed with sparkly or lacy tops (the type of top that looks like the top half of an evening or cocktail dress).  I always feel very appropriately dressed.  I sometimes wear a cocktail dress, but I no longer wear long dresses.

I had no idea I might be offending any sensibilities by wearing my evening trousers 

Personally I see no problem you dressing like that,and that’s not me being condescending but my opinion.

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

No one would have any issues with proper evening wear be it a long dress, cocktail dress, culottes or as you say evening trousers with a suitable top.

The issue is the indeed the crimpelene trousers (or other such casual equivalents) with the type of top that I would  wear to do the shopping at the supermarket or visit the local coffee shop but certainly not for a formal evening. Men would not be admitted to the restaurant if they wore the equivalent on formal nights.

If it applies to the gents it should apply to the ladies as well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I have a pair of evening trousers that I have worn with various evening tops. The trousers are black pleated chiffon over black silk when I wore them on Queen Mary 2 I had a black top that made them look like I was wearing a long dress.  No-one has ever suggested that they are unsuitable for formal evenings and personally I think that they are more dressy than some of the long dresses that I have seen on some cruises. 

On our last cruise I saw a lady in a jumpsuit that was stunning, later in the evening I overheard her telling another lady that she had worn it instead of a wedding dress at her wedding.

I say that if you are happy with yours then wear them on formal nights I am sure that they look lovely.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2019 at 6:21 PM, Dermotsgirl said:

In which case you should stay away from the Cunard message board! 😅

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Broadside said:

In which case you should stay away from the Cunard message board! 😅

I've been on Cunard several times and have no problem wearing trousers on formal evenings. We don't live in the 1950s and whatever those  who live in the past think that the 'inferior sex' :classic_biggrin: :classic_laugh: should wear, I wear what I want and feel comfortable in

On formal evenings on any line I wear either a calf length floaty  dress, a blinged up jumpsuit or evening trousers with a sequin jacket. I feel happy that I have made an effort and I conform to the dress code always. I still have a full length evening dress which I may take for black and white evenings on P&O but sometimes I just tweak another outfit.  

• Like 2

Cruise lines tend these days to have a lot of information on almost every aspect of cruising with them, published in brochures and on their websites. Formal "Black Tie" evenings or whatever they call their formal nights are described in detail.  They outline in most cases details of precisely what modes of dress are acceptable.

Regards John

51 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Fyi I still use the term slacks for trousers and the term frocks for dresses same as my grandmother did. I am just over 50. 😁😁😁

What word would you use for "pasties"?

Regards John

On the subject of trousers and slacks.  Some Aussie terms for same are for me, 'Strides' or 'Pants.'   A bit Americanised.

I have some nice 'strides to take on Arcadia x 2 next year.😂  My wife has some nice 'pants' to wear on formal nights.😆

6 hours ago, john watson said:

Regards John

As in pasties sold at Greggs? or those things the ladies wear on their chests at the burlesque shows in Soho, London or Kings Cross, Sydney? 😆

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

As in pasties sold at Greggs? or those things the ladies wear on their chests at the burlesque shows in Soho, London or Kings Cross, Sydney? 😆

This was my point NSWP.  A number of Americanisms relating to clothing seem to be creeping in.  "Slacks" in the UK seemed always to be crimplene or other stretchy man-made fabric, tight fitting casual trousers with a side zip and a pair of elastic stirrups to stop them riding up.  I think the stirrups were also a fashion necessity to confirm precisely what was being worn,  Americans seem to regard slacks as a more universal term for trousers (trousers being a term they do not use). Tuxedo (a town in the USA) is used in the context of clothing in the UK with a narrow meaning of jacket type with appropriate dress trousers whereas in the US it seems more of a wide range of smart jackets.

In short I am not too keen on Americanisms but love Americana.

Regards John

PS NSWP.  "Soho" is a hunting call which any rider can call on sighting the fox. The response given by the Master of the Hunt is "Tally Ho" as a command to commence the chase on the fox. Soho, London was on the ancient Berkeley Hunt which is why and where this place gets its name.

Edited by john watson

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

On the subject of trousers and slacks.  Some Aussie terms for same are for me, 'Strides' or 'Pants.'   A bit Americanised.

I have some nice 'strides to take on Arcadia x 2 next year.😂  My wife has some nice 'pants' to wear on formal nights.😆

And I take it she knows what “pants” refer to in the UK and so will be careful how she uses the word in context 😀

• Like 1

15 hours ago, john watson said:

Regards John

Personally I prefer the Gregg's variety having no need for the stick on variety. In that dpt Platex has always served me well. Hope that cures your curiosity. 😋🤣🤣🤣

27 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Personally I prefer the Gregg's variety having no need for the stick on variety. In that dpt Platex has always served me well. Hope that cures your curiosity. 😋🤣🤣🤣

Crikey, 2BA you seem to have divulged an enormous amount of personal political and gastronomical information on a straight forward general vocabulary usage question.

Regards John

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2019 at 9:33 PM, Mim Lloyd said:

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't booked a P&O cruise now. Four nights of OTT formal dressing is four nights too many for me. I don't wear dresses or fancy frocks, my husband will not contemplate travelling off to the Caribbean carting 'proper' shoes and his funeral suit. And to read that there are staff that will bar you entry to some bars because they consider you improperly dressed is appalling. On RCI and Celebrity it is very comfortable to dine in the MDR on formal nights clad in nice trousers and top (me, but definitely no sparkles or bling!) and long trousers with smart open neck shirt (him, and one shirt he has actually cost over £90!). I'd say half dress like this and the other half does more formal attire, and no one bats an eyelid or cares. As long as you look clean and have made some kind of effort It's all that matters. It's off putting to think that we'll feel forced to hide away in the buffet and feel judged by others if we want to drink in particular bars.

Mim I could have written your post.  Starting to wonder if P and O is for us.  I didn't see about the formal dress code when I booked.  Last few cruises have been on NCL and one Princess in Alaska - DH has always been smart enough for me in a shirt and tie.  It is not a wedding.  He did wear a sports jacket at our wedding 30 years ago.  I am not really sure why it is not still in his wardrobe.  But that is not the point for us.  I don't want to waste my luggage allowance.  I am not taking a formal dress.  I can dress up like a pageant princess as good as the rest of them -  but I don't have room for my heels and sash.    If it was not for that aft cabin I would cancel.  

On 7/1/2019 at 11:04 PM, wowzz said:

Ideally men need to wear a suit plus tie, but the code only applies to the mdr and certain bars. If you don't want to dress up, you can use the buffet, or the speciality restaurants, but no shorts anywhere on the ship in the evening. 

Not quite accurate.  You can certainly wear smart shorts anywhere on the ship in the evening, apart from the main dining rooms and perhaps the speciality restaurants.  Shorts are perfectly acceptable in the buffet.

10 minutes ago, nomadgirluk said:

Not quite accurate.  You can certainly wear smart shorts anywhere on the ship in the evening, apart from the main dining rooms and perhaps the speciality restaurants.  Shorts are perfectly acceptable in the buffet.

The following statement is taken from P&Os website-

After a busy day of exploring (or lazing by the pool), there’s plenty to look forward to on board. For Evening Casual nights, dress as you would for dinner in a nice restaurant; smart dark denim or trousers and a nice top, open-neck shirts, skirts and dresses (but no tracksuits, football shirts or trainers please). If you're in the Caribbean, tailored shorts may be worn in the buffet areas and open deck bars – whether you choose to pair them with your loudest Hawaiian shirt is up to you!

So this proves your statement incorrect that shorts are perfectly acceptable as this only applies whilst cruising in the Caribbean. So on smart casual nights if not cruising in the Caribbean shorts are not acceptable in the evenings

Edited by majortom10

14 minutes ago, nomadgirluk said:

As MajorTom has just said, you are incorrect. To be honest, I was not aware that shorts were acceptable in certain venues only, in the Caribbean.

Just wondering, on a cruise to or from the Caribbean, when exactly the ruling comes into force.  

Edited by wowzz

15 minutes ago, wowzz said:

As MajorTom has just said, you are incorrect. To be honest, I was not aware that shorts were acceptable in certain venues only, in the Caribbean.

Just wondering, on a cruise to or from the Caribbean, when exactly the ruling comes into force.  

We have just returned from a cruise on Ventura to northern Europe and also did the Fjords last June.  On both cruises, smart shorts were acceptable everywhere except the main dining rooms and speciality restaurants.  My husband wore black tie on the formal nights and long trousers and jacket on casual nights in the main dining room, but wore smart shorts on every evening in the buffet (as did many others).  The only rule regarding long trousers applies to main dining rooms and speciality restaurants only.