The Celebrity Beyond & Beyond: If You Were CEO, What Would You Do?

vtcruising

The Celebrity Beyond & Beyond: If You Were CEO, What Would You Do?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. If you had the power to stop the present plans to make the Beyond and the other two upcoming Celebrity Edge Class ships about 8% bigger, you would:

• continue the present plan to increase the size about 8%.
    • increase the size of some or all of the 3 remaining Edge Class ships by more than 8%.
    • decrease the present size of the Edge Class ships for some or all of the last 3 ships.
    • keep all 5 Edge Class ships the same size.
  2. 2. How would you like to see the veranda accommodations distributed on the 3 future Edge Class ships?

• I would like to see the same distribution as Edge/Apex, as long as there are improvements in the infinite veranda, including increased size (91% of the total non-suite verandas are infinite verandas)
    • I would like to have all verandas be the traditional open type of veranda, with no infinite verandas
    • I would like a mix of infinite verandas (with increased size and other improvements) and traditional open verandas, with at least 50% being traditional open verandas
  3. 3. What other things would you like to see on the remaining 3 new Celebrity Edge Class ships that are planned? You may choose as many as you wish.

• Forward view lounge for all passengers
    • Adequate shade in outside venues
    • Veranda furniture that includes a minimum of reclining chairs, footstools and a table high enough to be comfortable for room service
    • Change in specialty restaurant choices (more choices and/or more variety) than present Edge Class choices
    • Wine Bar
    • Gastropub
    • Additional lounge for live music/other entertainment (similar size as Ensemble Lounge or Rendezvous Lounge)
    • More seating at Martini Bar
    • Library or Book/Device Nook
    • Less space allotted to suite only areas
    • Glass elevators
    • One large MDR (instead of 4 smaller ones)
    • Thalassotherapy pool
    • Rethink Eden physical space design (as opposed to decor)
    • Elite (and above) Lounge
    • Improved accessibility
    • Change Luminae design to create some division of areas, so that it is not one big area
    • Improved suite/suite balcony design - specifically the physical space design, as opposed to decor (may elaborate in post)
    • Add bar with barstools to Retreat Lounge
    • Other (may specify in post)

2 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

LLP has already said that Edge and Apex will be twins. Apex was originally supposed to be named Beyond, but as Lisa has explained, the third ship in the class was going to be larger and “different” from the first two, going “beyond” them, hence the name changes. I am not convinced that there will be IV's on Beyond, especially since it is supposed to be different from Edge and Apex. This would be a positive move, imo, since there seems to be a love/hate relationship with the IV's. By adding a more “traditional” ship (with verandas) to the E class, X would be offering an additional choice to their clients, which is a good thing.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them go all traditional veranda or a hybrid - the only thing that makes me wonder about them keeping some bigger and improved IV's as an option is that somehow they need to tie the E class brand together and the IV's have been a big part of that. Maybe instead it will be with the different restaurants, Eden, the theater in the round, the audacious art, the unique bow and the MC, and the IV's will be fazed out?

22 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see them go all traditional veranda or a hybrid - the only thing that makes me wonder about them keeping some bigger and improved IV's as an option is that somehow they need to tie the E class brand together and the IV's have been a big part of that. Maybe instead it will be with the different restaurants, Eden, the theater in the round, the audacious art, the unique bow and the MC, and the IV's will be fazed out?

Personally, I don’t think that the IV's are necessary to tie the E class ships together, in other words, they don’t define the brand in my opinion. Going forward I could see the MC being fazed out along with the IV's. Different restaurants, a unique theater, more comfortable furniture, and of course the continuing iconic collection of X artworks will tie the class together.

2 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Personally, I don’t think that the IV's are necessary to tie the E class ships together, in other words, they don’t define the brand in my opinion. Going forward I could see the MC being fazed out along with the IV's. Different restaurants, a unique theater, more comfortable furniture, and of course the continuing iconic collection of X artworks will tie the class together.

It's funny about the MC being added originally as a way to more comfortably tender passengers (a frequent customer complaint) and then someone working on designing the ship suggested that it could be used for other things and the rest is history. Ironically, the tendering from the MC is infrequent because the waves have to be a maximum of 20 cm (about 1 .75 ft) due to the height of the platform on deck 2 (there is also a max height wave for docking the MC on 5). We did use the MC to disembark and re-board the ship on port days sometimes and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed taking the secret staircase up to the Martini Bar. 😉   Since the wind has been an issue that they are working on for the Apex for using the MC for a bar/restaurant,  I wonder if they will make any changes to better use the MC for tendering with higher waves. I never thought I would like the MC, but have to say I am a fan (will be more of a fan once the wind issues are decreased).

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I would like them to dedicate the full 8% on the later expanded E-Class ships to the addition of the old M-Class specialty restaurants that they dumped in favor of Tuscan Grille. 

Or they could just deep 6 Tuscan and bring back those other restaurants.  I have now tried Tuscan three times on three different ships and have not had a decent meal or service in any of them, so I'm done.

3 hours ago, vtcruising said:

they might burn poor Kelly in effigy! 😉

"Poor" Kelly?  She brought this on herself with her vapid "design."  Most of which is not even remotely functional.  And looks like something one could buy at Target or Ikea.  But I'll bet she got paid a pretty penny for this.  So, not poor Kelly.  Probably laughing all the way to the bank Kelly.  I wouldn't burn her in effigy.  I'd sentence her to cruise for a month in one of her nonfunctional cabins.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

It's funny about the MC being added originally as a way to more comfortably tender passengers (a frequent customer complaint) and then someone working on designing the ship suggested that it could be used for other things and the rest is history. Ironically, the tendering from the MC is infrequent because the waves have to be a maximum of 20 cm (about 1 .75 ft) due to the height of the platform on deck 2 (there is also a max height wave for docking the MC on 5). We did use the MC to disembark and re-board the ship on port days sometimes and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed taking the secret staircase up to the Martini Bar. 😉   Since the wind has been an issue that they are working on for the Apex for using the MC for a bar/restaurant,  I wonder if they will make any changes to better use the MC for tendering with higher waves. I never thought I would like the MC, but have to say I am a fan (will be more of a fan once the wind issues are decreased).

If the magic carpet actually worked in the real world for tendering, I would say it was a brilliant idea.  Tendering is a pain.  I hope they can figure out a way to make this work.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Or they could just deep 6 Tuscan and bring back those other restaurants.  I have now tried Tuscan three times on three different ships and have not had a decent meal or service in any of them, so I'm done.

I agree that they could do something to improve the Tuscan menu. We have had some things that were tasty, but have had some meals that were not so good. They could improve the ambiance as well on the M Class ships - the entrance is nice, but the restaurant just isn't appealing, IMO.

I was really hoping that the Revolution would bring a new specialty restaurant or two (I know that LPC was added to some during the Revolution, but that is not one that people would usually repeat time after time). Le Grand Bistro, the French restaurant on the Edge, would be a nice addition to some ships. They have great breakfasts and daily specials at lunch (rack of lamb, duck, sea bass, coq au vin, short rib bourguignon) as well as salads, soups, steak frites, trout, burgers and could have an expanded dinner menu, instead of lunch. It was packed when we were there.  Just a thought...

• Like 1

We have done over 20 Celebrity cruises.  We just sailed on the refurbished Summit - in an inside cabin.  We loved the changes - better closet and storage space and nicer bathroom with strong shower.  We especially appreciated the functional night stands with a drawer and shelves and 2 wonderful lamps that each had 2 electric outlets.  We have sailed on many S class ships, but did not like the inconvenient closet and above bed storage (hard to reach) and non-functional “night stand.”  We were looking forward to the Edge, but are unhappy with reports of lack of shade by the pool, etc.  The idea of the Magic Carpet sounded alright, but my first thought was that it is something that could break (it is mechanical).  My second thought was that it is ugly - not pretty on the side of the ship.  One thing that we would like to see incorporated onto Celebrity ships is a piano bar.  It is a successful venue on other lines - and it is fun.  Hope Celebrity management listens to the feedback on these boards.

21 minutes ago, hurwitz5 said:

We have done over 20 Celebrity cruises.  We just sailed on the refurbished Summit - in an inside cabin.  We loved the changes - better closet and storage space and nicer bathroom with strong shower.  We especially appreciated the functional night stands with a drawer and shelves and 2 wonderful lamps that each had 2 electric outlets.  We have sailed on many S class ships, but did not like the inconvenient closet and above bed storage (hard to reach) and non-functional “night stand.”  We were looking forward to the Edge, but are unhappy with reports of lack of shade by the pool, etc.  The idea of the Magic Carpet sounded alright, but my first thought was that it is something that could break (it is mechanical).  My second thought was that it is ugly - not pretty on the side of the ship.  One thing that we would like to see incorporated onto Celebrity ships is a piano bar.  It is a successful venue on other lines - and it is fun.  Hope Celebrity management listens to the feedback on these boards.

Glad you like the M Class refurb. I agree about the overhead storage on S Class - I like dresser drawers and that is one of the great things about the Edge - a relief after many years of cubbies except when in a suite. I'm looking forward to seeing a refurbished Millie next year.

I wasn't a fan of the Magic Carpet originally, especially the name sounded Disney-ish. It has grown on me now and I don't even notice it much, except when trying to locate my ship in port.🙂  I have enjoyed relaxing out there with a drink - it's a lovely, unique venue when not windy and a great place to watch the sunset. I have been in a tender from the MC and it is an amazing way to be tendered - from waiting in Destination Gateway (some seats there to wait for others to join you inside or outside on the MC, restrooms and a bar with water for sale or free from package) to easily entering the tender to plush bucket seats and AC inside. Unfortunately the first edition MC wasn't perfect, but hopefully the engineers have put their heads together to improve the MC and tendering for the next ships.

I remember piano bars from older RCI ships, with sing-a-longs - smokey back then so didn't stay long. It is not our cup of tea, but it looks like fun for those who enjoy it. I've been on X ships with pianos in bars and depending on the type of music, have stayed and listened. There is a piano in the Grand Plaza on the Edge by the Martini Bar. It wasn't played much when I was onboard, but one afternoon we had a cocktail while listening to a piano and sax duo - very cool!

image.thumb.png.42fda64e3272ac3d29222e8e85a82039.png

17 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Glad you like the M Class refurb. I agree about the overhead storage on S Class - I like dresser drawers and that is one of the great things about the Edge - a relief after many years of cubbies except when in a suite. I'm looking forward to seeing a refurbished Millie next year.

I wasn't a fan of the Magic Carpet originally, especially the name sounded Disney-ish. It has grown on me now and I don't even notice it much, except when trying to locate my ship in port.🙂  I have enjoyed relaxing out there with a drink - it's a lovely, unique venue when not windy and a great place to watch the sunset. I have been in a tender from the MC and it is an amazing way to be tendered - from waiting in Destination Gateway (some seats there to wait for others to join you inside or outside on the MC, restrooms and a bar with water for sale or free from package) to easily entering the tender to plush bucket seats and AC inside. Unfortunately the first edition MC wasn't perfect, but hopefully the engineers have put their heads together to improve the MC and tendering for the next ships.

I remember piano bars from older RCI ships, with sing-a-longs - smokey back then so didn't stay long. It is not our cup of tea, but it looks like fun for those who enjoy it. I've been on X ships with pianos in bars and depending on the type of music, have stayed and listened. There is a piano in the Grand Plaza on the Edge by the Martini Bar. It wasn't played much when I was onboard, but one afternoon we had a cocktail while listening to a piano and sax duo - very cool!

They should wheel a piano onto the magic carpet at night in good weather and make it into a piano bar.

1 hour ago, hurwitz5 said:

FYI, Summit and the other M class ships always had functional nightstands with two drawers.  The ones on S class are a joke.

3 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I agree that they could do something to improve the Tuscan menu. We have had some things that were tasty, but have had some meals that were not so good. They could improve the ambiance as well on the M Class ships - the entrance is nice, but the restaurant just isn't appealing, IMO.

I was really hoping that the Revolution would bring a new specialty restaurant or two (I know that LPC was added to some during the Revolution, but that is not one that people would usually repeat time after time). Le Grand Bistro, the French restaurant on the Edge, would be a nice addition to some ships. They have great breakfasts and daily specials at lunch (rack of lamb, duck, sea bass, coq au vin, short rib bourguignon) as well as salads, soups, steak frites, trout, burgers and could have an expanded dinner menu, instead of lunch. It was packed when we were there.  Just a thought...

Yes to Le Grand Bistro instead of Tuscan!  Everybody was raving about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

image.thumb.png.42fda64e3272ac3d29222e8e85a82039.png

On the Edge TA in April there was musical entertainment every afternoon in the Grand Plaza except for port days.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Yes to Le Grand Bistro instead of Tuscan!  Everybody was raving about it.

Except that Le Grand Bistro becomes Le Petit Chef by night on Edge.

Marilyn, I just can’t remember.  Are they still serving breakfast and lunch in Le Grand Bistro or just an occasional brunch.

Katie

1 hour ago, Oville said:

Except that Le Grand Bistro becomes Le Petit Chef by night on Edge.

Marilyn, I just can’t remember.  Are they still serving breakfast and lunch in Le Grand Bistro or just an occasional brunch.

Katie

In my musings above, I was thinking of the original concept of LGB dinner every night for $25, except for one night/week for LPC. They later changed it to LPC every night. The original concept was Breakfast ($10), Lunch ($20), Dinner ($25). We had a dinner booked at LGB for $25 for our Jan cruise and then when they took away LGB dinners, they grandfathered us in and let us do LPC that night for the $25 we had already paid (instead of $55). I would think that LPC every night for years will eventually not be sustainable and maybe they will go back to the original plan for LGB.

They did breakfast for a few months and then ended up with brunch twice a week and lunch on the other days the last I heard. The brunch had the crepes and some of the other great items that they had for the breakfast on our cruise. I'm so glad we had breakfast there before they stopped. Maybe it will come back again on a future ship.

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

In my musings above, I was thinking of the original concept of LGB dinner every night for $25, except for one night/week for LPC. They later changed it to LPC every night. The original concept was Breakfast ($10), Lunch ($20), Dinner ($25). We had a dinner booked at LGB for $25 for our Jan cruise and then when they took away LGB dinners, they grandfathered us in and let us do LPC that night for the $25 we had already paid (instead of $55). I would think that LPC every night for years will eventually not be sustainable and maybe they will go back to the original plan for LGB.

They did breakfast for a few months and then ended up with brunch twice a week and lunch on the other days the last I heard. The brunch had the crepes and some of the other great items that they had for the breakfast on our cruise. I'm so glad we had breakfast there before they stopped. Maybe it will come back again on a future ship.

Thanks Vt, I think you are right about all the above but wasn’t sure.  O

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1

Marilyn, many thanks for all of this information.  Hopefully, this may spur more than just a conversation on Cruise Critic.  You did a great job and I have enjoyed reading your comments, along with others on this thread!  Bravo 11268 sister!

14 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Marilyn, many thanks for all of this information.  Hopefully, this may spur more than just a conversation on Cruise Critic.  You did a great job and I have enjoyed reading your comments, along with others on this thread!  Bravo 11268 sister!

It is interesting - I'm excited to see what direction they go with the Beyond (and what happens to 11268 😉) and hope I'm still around for, and can afford, the Venus (or whatever she is called). They should be able to get everything right by then. 🙂

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

26 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

It is interesting - I'm excited to see what direction they go with the Beyond (and what happens to 11268 😉) and hope I'm still around for, and can afford, the Venus (or whatever she is called). They should be able to get everything right by then. 🙂

Hey 11268 sisters, looking at this cabin on upcoming cruises it is available, weird.

i agree with Suzy Marilyn, “great job”. K

5 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I think Le Petit Chef is a one and done thing.  Don't think people will go more than once.  Whereas I have done Qsine several times.  Lots of variety there.

I'm pretty certain that LPC's days are numbered. It's all too gimmicky to have any real longevity. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I think Le Petit Chef is a one and done thing.  Don't think people will go more than once.  Whereas I have done Qsine several times.  Lots of variety there.

1 hour ago, Mynki said:

I'm pretty certain that LPC's days are numbered. It's all too gimmicky to have any real longevity. 

I hope so. I have actually done it 4 times, though 2 different shows. We enjoyed it the first time on the Edge and the food was quite good and then friends wanted to go with us on another cruise and it was fun with friends who hadn't done it. On the Infinity we went twice because Blu was not quite up to par on that cruise and the LPC dinner was excellent and service superb (not many options for specialty restaurants on the Infinity). We got the second dinner at a reduced rate and it was worth it for the food/service, but we just ignored the show the second time.

We wouldn't do LPC on the Edge or S Class because there are many other specialty options, but if we can get a reduced price next year on the Infinity, since there is only LPC, Tuscan and Sushi on 5, we'll go back for the bouillabaisse, lobster, excellent steak and wonderful service and ignore the little people running around on the table. 🙂

8 hours ago, Oville said:

Hey 11268 sisters, looking at this cabin on upcoming cruises it is available, weird.

i agree with Suzy Marilyn, “great job”. K

There are a lot of sky suites available on some of the cruises I have checked. Looking at the Apex Inaugural, there are many sky suites available (still priced at about 11-12 grand for two). About 100 of the 146 sky suites are available - maybe I will get to Move Up at a nice rate? 🙂 Interesting, most of the upper suites are sold, but if you still want one there are a few available: IC for only 83 grand for two, PH 67K, RS 27K,  and CS for 18K.

I personally think they may have put in too many sky suites. If I were the CEO, I would turn the deck 9 S2's (24) into traditional verandas (3 verandas for every 2 S2's = 36 verandas) on future ships. I think that they would come out ahead since still could still charge a premium price and they would have less Go Bests and other suite perks as costs, and taking out 24 suites (about 50 people) would help make the suite life feel more exclusive (more space and better service in Luminae and better Concierge service in the Retreat). It would mean about 24 extra passengers at double occupancy for the 12 extra cabins, but that could be absorbed in the allowed max occupancy. You are welcome, X! 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

There are a lot of sky suites available on some of the cruises I have checked. Looking at the Apex Inaugural, there are many sky suites available (still priced at about 11-12 grand for two). About 100 of the 146 sky suites are available - maybe I will get to Move Up at a nice rate? 🙂 Interesting, most of the upper suites are sold, but if you still want one there are a few available: IC for only 83 grand for two, PH 67K, RS 27K,  and CS for 18K.

I personally think they may have put in too many sky suites. If I were the CEO, I would turn the deck 9 S2's (24) into traditional verandas (3 verandas for every 2 S2's = 36 verandas) on future ships. I think that they would come out ahead since  still could still charge a premium price and they would have less Go Bests and other suite perks as costs, and taking out 24 suites (about 50 people) would help make the suite life feel more exclusive (more space and better service in Luminae and better Concierge service in the Retreat). It would mean about 24 extra passengers at double occupancy for the 12 extra cabins, but that could be absorbed in the allowed max occupancy. You are welcome, X! 😉

Just my opinion, but I think that part of the extra space provided by lengthening the Apex will be used to add more space to the Retreat areas and Luminae. The same will probably be true going forward with the last 3 E class ships.  As for better service in Luminae and the Retreat, it couldn’t have been any better on our Edge TA in April. Ok, maybe a little better if the Retreat had a real bar. 😁

Btw, “Go Bests” and other suite perks do not “cost” X anything. They are factored into those premium prices of the suites. 😉

• Like 1