Bringing extra Epipens

I will be travelling with my two daughters who have severe food allergies.  We will have Epipens in our carry-ons.

However, I want to bring extra Epipens.  I plan to pack several extra packs in my checked luggage; is this okay?  I don't know if Royal Caribbean goes through our luggage, but I am assuming that they would not have a problem with Epipens in our suitcases.  Is that correct?  Would it matter if the Epipens are not in their original boxes?  We don't always keep the boxes.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by Cecilia V.

If it were me, I would pack your extra Epi-pens in your carry on luggage. What it something happened to your checked bag? While unlikely, it COULD happen and then you would be without the additional medication. They don't weigh much, so just pack them all together. 

• Like 4

I do plan to carry plenty in my carry-on.  I would also like some in my checked luggage. I am just asking if Royal Caribbean would have any problem with that: I know it sounds silly, but a friend suggested that possibly the Epipens would be confiscated once the bags are checked, so now I'm just a little worried. 

I would never pack anything important in luggage that I don’t have complete control over.   I’m not sure why you would want to do that and take a chance on your luggage being lost or stolen.  Small chance, but I’ve read stories recently about things happening. And on my last cruise somebody had their luggage misplaced and notices went to all cabins in an effort to find it.   Your carryon would be the proper place for medication and anything else of value. 

49 minutes ago, Cecilia V. said:

I will be travelling with my two daughters who have severe food allergies.  We will have Epipens in our carry-ons.

However, I want to bring extra Epipens.  I plan to pack several extra packs in my checked luggage; is this okay?  I don't know if Royal Caribbean goes through our luggage, but I am assuming that they would not have a problem with Epipens in our suitcases.  Is that correct?  Would it matter if the Epipens are not in their original boxes?  We don't always keep the boxes.

Thank you for your help.

you should be contacting royal for there policy 🙂

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-packing-clothing-recommendation

now if you need opinion on what to wear , drink , tip etc etc you have come to the right place .

• Haha 1

Check with pharmacy to see if there are temperature restrictions on epinephrine—- freezing cold on a plane or roasting hot waiting to get on the ship seems like could potentially make it less effective although I do not know this to be true. Better safe than sorry.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

Check with pharmacy to see if there are temperature restrictions on epinephrine—- freezing cold on a plane or roasting hot waiting to get on the ship seems like could potentially make it less effective although I do not know this to be true. Better safe than sorry.

I was wondering the same thing.  I agree with the others suggesting you carry it with you. I have a friend with a severe bee allergy and always carries an epi pen during warm weather months.

There is nothing rule-wise preventing you from packing extra cartridges in your checked luggage. (And a pat on the back from this RN for thinking ahead and packing extra-extra pens for vacation!)   As long as you're comfortable with temperature fluctuations (which will be decreased if the cartridges are packed in the center of a lot of clothing for insulation), there are no rules against it. 

While it is a prescription item, it's not a "controlled substance" that would be illegal to have (like marijuana or heroin) or prone to being stolen (like opiate pills, which should always be carried on and stored in a locked bag or room safe).  

The cruise line doesn't rummage through your bags --- they simply x-ray them looking for weapons or smuggled liquor, etc.  An Epi-pen isn't even on their radar and is highly unlikely to even be noticed. 

Even if they do see something questionable on an x-ray, they pull the bag aside and you have to go down to "the naughty room" (Security) and open the bag in front of them and show them what the questionable item is.  When they see that it's medicine, they'll just send you on your way with your bag and all its contents.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Cecilia V. said:

Would it matter if the Epipens are not in their original boxes?  We don't always keep the boxes.

You could always ask the pharmacist for extra labels. Put the (unboxed) epipens in a tupperware and stick the label on that.

I wouldn't want unlabeled injectables in a checked bag.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marci22 said:

You could always ask the pharmacist for extra labels. Put the (unboxed) epipens in a tupperware and stick the label on that.

The pens come in a carrying case inside the box, and the pens themselves have writing all over them.  It's very obvious what they are, even when they're outside of the box or the carrying case.  It's not like an unlabeled syringe.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cecilia V. said:

I do plan to carry plenty in my carry-on.  I would also like some in my checked luggage. I am just asking if Royal Caribbean would have any problem with that: I know it sounds silly, but a friend suggested that possibly the Epipens would be confiscated once the bags are checked, so now I'm just a little worried. 

I would carry them on, there is an issue if they are exposed to heat.  Granted, this is talking about a hot car, I would not want to put them in a checked bag that just might be the bag at the top of the pile on a luggage cart in the hot sun for hours.

https://www.aaaai.org/about-aaaai/newsroom/news-releases/epipens-heat

11 minutes ago, brillohead said:

The pens come in a carrying case inside the box, and the pens themselves have writing all over them.  It's very obvious what they are, even when they're outside of the box or the carrying case.  It's not like an unlabeled syringe.  

Exactly, and their shape is easy to detect on an xray and I'm sure that the techs see many of them in a day.

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

I understand; I'm a pharmacist. Just figure it's easier if name/instructions/doctor is on it to avoid confusion with whomever is scanning the luggage. Maybe it's the same person who saw my cabin tag and lock on my luggage and still broke it off because another cruiser thought it was theirs.

4 hours ago, marci22 said:

Agree. Have had additional label's printed by them put on item or even second smaller pill bottle 

1 hour ago, marci22 said:

I understand; I'm a pharmacist. Just figure it's easier if name/instructions/doctor is on it to avoid confusion with whomever is scanning the luggage. Maybe it's the same person who saw my cabin tag and lock on my luggage and still broke it off because another cruiser thought it was theirs.

In my experience, you just can't fix stupid.  

If they don't know what an Epipen is, they're gonna be too stupid to read a label!  😁

23 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I would never put RX medication in a checked bag. 

Totally agree.  My wife is diabetic and she requests that her inulin requires refrigeration.  On Symphony Feb. cruise. our cabin steward called maintenance and they took the fridge out and adjusted the settings to make it colder. 

Read a post, in which Pax asked the cabin steward to place their insulin supply in refrigeration, however by mistake it was placed in freezer and insulin went bad.  Medical staff had to call ahead to next port to order replacement supply of insulin.

1 hour ago, marci22 said:

Marci, I didn't know that you're a pharmacist.  So am I!

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:22 PM, Cecilia V. said:

Thank you for your help.

Although sometimes things may be ok to do, without any problems, it is not always the safe or proper thing to do.  Yes, you can pack it in your suitcase, but it is always strongly recommended all medicine to be carried on.  Also, you can bring medicine not in the original package, but is it the recommended way?  No way. 

You can do what you want, and ask strangers for the answers who will tell you they do something one way.  The real answer is that you should have any medication with your name and prescription on it, and it should always carry it, based on just about all TSA or immigration instructions around the world. So chose strangers or posted rules.  Either one will work, maybe

Epi-pens and auvi-qs are way too expensive/important for me to pack in bag that may or may not be temperature controlled.    Will they still work?   Not sure where they have been.   

Or lost. And i bring about 4 per child with allergies so 8 on a regular trip so it does take a bit of room and often gets pulled aside at TSA. More on longer flights.  But never an issue with needing the Rx box. Once I tell them it’s epi-pens I’m on my way.   (My allergic kids are 22 and 21 and we are frequent travelers including NZ, Africa, many trips to Europe, don’t let allergies stop you!).   Me and my quart ziploc bag with 8ish epipens and an additional ziploc with several Auvi-qs in someone else’s carryon. 

YMMV. Personally just used to counting on the room for them in my carryon. 

Edited by cindivan