carry on water

Glen&Kathy

$50 gets you 24 one liter bottles, which for the typical 7-10 day cruise is more than enough. You can also bring them off the ship with you at port, saving costs while off the ship.  Not sure the length of your cruise, but just buy the 6 pack for $15 to have in your room and bring a refillable water bottle for the buffet/bars, or have your room steward fill a pitcher for your room. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alyssazoll said:

$50 gets you 24 one liter bottles, which for the typical 7-10 day cruise is more than enough. You can also bring them off the ship with you at port, saving costs while off the ship.  Not sure the length of your cruise, but just buy the 6 pack for $15 to have in your room and bring a refillable water bottle for the buffet/bars, or have your room steward fill a pitcher for your room. 

This is exactly what I did and will be doing.  

I purchased a 6 pack of litters. 

I’ll have an ice bucket in the room to fill my swell water bottle.  

I dont drink anymore so water water is my only fluids these days.  

Ill grab some lemon aid at the buffet if they have it but that’s it.  

In the rare case I’d want a soda I’ll just buy one.   

I also use to bring my water on with me.  But all that’s changed with most CL 

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Or you could sail Royal Caribbean and bring onboard 12 bottles of water for free.

They use to allow you to bring as much as you want on in checked luggage. Now, the 12 bottles need to be in your hand carry and you need to lug it around on embarkation day. What a Royal pain. Easier to buy it on board RCCL too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

They use to allow you to bring as much as you want on in checked luggage. Now, the 12 bottles need to be in your hand carry and you need to lug it around on embarkation day. What a Royal pain. Easier to buy it on board RCCL too. 

It is all nonsense, we just bring two empty bottles and keep refilling them.  There are those who insist they need bottled water, let them do the buying and the lugging.

• Like 2

I'm not going to get into the usual "water fight"!!!   But I would remind you that you MIGHT have a water bottle confiscated when you have been off the ship while in port and have returned to the ship with water still in the bottle.   If you want to ensure you keep your own water bottle for re-use EMPTY it on the dock.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Glen&Kathy said:

Greetings all.  I've seen many posts indicating that NCL has water packages (at ridiculous prices) but historically we've always just brought a case on board.  Is this still an option?

Thx.

G

No need to bring water.  NCL has free water at every bar and dining establishment that is perfectly fine.

• Like 5

The ship's water is fine...it's in your food, your beverages and your ice.  Just use the ship's water.  Your body doesn't give a hoot what KIND of water it is.....your body only uses the H2O that water provides.

On 6/30/2019 at 7:21 PM, Ptroxx said:

This is exactly what I did and will be doing.  

I purchased a 6 pack of litters. 

I’ll have an ice bucket in the room to fill my swell water bottle.  

I dont drink anymore so water water is my only fluids these days.  

Ill grab some lemon aid at the buffet if they have it but that’s it.  

In the rare case I’d want a soda I’ll just buy one.   

I also use to bring my water on with me.  But all that’s changed with most CL 

I plan to bring my True Lemon packets of dehydrated lemon & lime & some Stevia to make lemonade.  True Lemon also makes pitcher packets of plain lemonade.

On 6/30/2019 at 6:48 PM, Glen&Kathy said:

Greetings all.  I've seen many posts indicating that NCL has water packages (at ridiculous prices) but historically we've always just brought a case on board.  Is this still an option?

It is the same price that you would pay for the exact same bottle of water at 7-11. 

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Here's our tap water from our bathroom on a recent cruise

image.png.429dd97bf4fe040559e00cd911b925a7.png

Ahh, can we have more details?   What ship?  What sailing?   Are you sure the glass was not used or dirty?   Is it a glass or tinted plastic cup?

While we always buy the 12 liter water package for the 3 of us for a week, we regularly fill glasses with water for soaking stuff and have never seen water that did not match the clarity of the purchased water.   The water in the toilet or coffee machine has never been off colored either.  Really need clarification on this rarity.

Okay, here's the deal on the yellow/brown water in the sink taps.  The ships are required to maintain chlorine levels at higher than municipal water services do.  Along with the chlorine, the ship adds calcium carbonate (the active ingredient in antacids) to maintain the pH of the water at the optimal range for the chlorine to be effective as a sanitizing agent.  Both of these chemicals will tend to form a scale on the inside of the pipes throughout the ship.  Unlike municipal water supply, ship's water is constantly circulated, from the storage tanks, around the ship, and back to the storage tanks.  As long as the water is circulating, this chemical scale stays put on the inner wall of the pipe.  Whenever the water is shut off, to repair a leak for instance, and the pipes drained, this scale dries out and breaks off the pipe walls.  When the water is restored, it takes this now flaked off scale and carries it around the ship.  Being heavier than water, the scale wants to settle out, so in branch lines that flow downward from the main water pipes that circle the ship, and that are "stagnant" (no water flowing until you open the tap), the scale will accumulate in these lines, which are typically the water branches to each cabin.  When you open the tap, this scale will discolor the water, until it clears from the line.  This typically takes a minute or two, and again only happens when piping maintenance has been done.

Every month, the ship tests its water, samples taken from all the storage tanks, and from 6 random locations around the ship (pax cabins, crew cabins, galley, laundry, spa, wherever) that must be different each month, and tested for pH, clarity, chlorine, and coliform bacteria.

The only difference in water supply anywhere around the ship is that places like the dining venues (the water stations where the wait staff fill their pitchers), the bars, and the ice machines will all have carbon filters on them to remove the chlorine and the calcium carbonate to prevent scaling inside the machinery.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Okay, here's the deal on the yellow/brown water in the sink taps.  The ships are required to maintain chlorine levels at higher than municipal water services do.  Along with the chlorine, the ship adds calcium carbonate (the active ingredient in antacids) to maintain the pH of the water at the optimal range for the chlorine to be effective as a sanitizing agent.  Both of these chemicals will tend to form a scale on the inside of the pipes throughout the ship.  Unlike municipal water supply, ship's water is constantly circulated, from the storage tanks, around the ship, and back to the storage tanks.  As long as the water is circulating, this chemical scale stays put on the inner wall of the pipe.  Whenever the water is shut off, to repair a leak for instance, and the pipes drained, this scale dries out and breaks off the pipe walls.  When the water is restored, it takes this now flaked off scale and carries it around the ship.  Being heavier than water, the scale wants to settle out, so in branch lines that flow downward from the main water pipes that circle the ship, and that are "stagnant" (no water flowing until you open the tap), the scale will accumulate in these lines, which are typically the water branches to each cabin.  When you open the tap, this scale will discolor the water, until it clears from the line.  This typically takes a minute or two, and again only happens when piping maintenance has been done.

Every month, the ship tests its water, samples taken from all the storage tanks, and from 6 random locations around the ship (pax cabins, crew cabins, galley, laundry, spa, wherever) that must be different each month, and tested for pH, clarity, chlorine, and coliform bacteria.

The only difference in water supply anywhere around the ship is that places like the dining venues (the water stations where the wait staff fill their pitchers), the bars, and the ice machines will all have carbon filters on them to remove the chlorine and the calcium carbonate to prevent scaling inside the machinery.

Thank you for that explanation.   Makes perfect sense.   I think we'll still buy some liters but now not so grossed out.   LOL. 

1 hour ago, VicRock said:

Thank you for that explanation.   Makes perfect sense.   I think we'll still buy some liters but now not so grossed out.   LOL. 

While the water is definitely off-putting in appearance, it is perfectly fine to drink, though you will get a free dose of Tums, and it may taste that way.

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

While the water is definitely off-putting in appearance, it is perfectly fine to drink, though you will get a free dose of Tums, and it may taste that way.

Yes,  think I'll pass.   But makes sense because when there's issues with our well,  we just let it run as well.