Online Check-In Questions

Hi all, sorry for what are probably dumb newbie questions but this is only my second RCI cruise and the first was quite a while ago, so I don't remember.  Online check-in just opened up for my Allure cruise and I was able to complete it, but have 2 questions:

• I wanted to have a cash account, but online check-in would not let me complete the process without entering credit card information.  Is this something I should change when I check in at the port or should I call RCI?
  • Once the online process completed, I was able to print our SetSail passes, but the luggage tags still show as "pending".  Is this normal or did I do something wrong?

Thanks for your help 🙂

You can change to a cash account at check-in or onboard.  I've always been able to avoid giving a credit card number, don't know what is going on there.

Luggage tags are normally available around 7 weeks before the cruise.

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

...I've always been able to avoid giving a credit card number, don't know what is going on there........

I tried just clicking continue without putting in the credit card info but I got the red naughty text saying I had to check in at the port if I didn't give it up and couldn't go any further.

1 minute ago, custompcsys said:

I tried just clicking continue without putting in the credit card info but I got the red naughty text saying I had to check in at the port if I didn't give it up and couldn't go any further.

Was this the version that wanted the full credit card number or just the last 4 digits?

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

Was this the version that wanted the full credit card number or just the last 4 digits?

It wanted all of it...name, number, expiration date.  I figured there would be a place to opt for a cash account, but nope.  It was either credit card or no online check-in

2 minutes ago, custompcsys said:

It wanted all of it...name, number, expiration date.  I figured there would be a place to opt for a cash account, but nope.  It was either credit card or no online check-in

Perhaps this is something new, but I've never been forced to give a credit card number in order to complete check-in.

7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Were you checking in via the mobile app or on a computer?  I’ve heard that the app has a lot more restrictions.

I have the app but I used my computer to check in.  I hate typing on my iPhone....big thumbs 🙂  The SetSail passes come up fine on the app now that check-in is completed.

Edited by custompcsys

5 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Perhaps this is something new, but I've never been forced to give a credit card number in order to complete check-in.

No big deal if I can make the change to a cash account once I get there, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't done something wrong that I should call in to correct.

4 minutes ago, custompcsys said:

I have the app but I used my computer to check in.  I hate typing on my iPhone....big thumbs 🙂  The SetSail passes come up fine on the app now that check-in is completed.

I believe that there was a small box that you had to select for the cash account.  Was this there?  I hear you on the big thumbs.😁

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

I believe that there was a small box that you had to select for the cash account.  Was this there?

Not that I saw, and I specifically looked for something like that.  I suppose it's possible I missed it but I did scroll all up and down the entire screen and looked.  The other strange thing was that it also wouldn't let me continue unless I put in separate credit card info for my wife, even though my credit card info that I had just entered defaulted to her.  I just repeated the same card info and it was fine with that, but seemed unnecessary. 

Just now, custompcsys said:

Not that I saw, and I specifically looked for something like that.  I suppose it's possible I missed it but I did scroll all up and down the entire screen and looked.  The other strange thing was that it also wouldn't let me continue unless I put in separate credit card info for my wife, even though my credit card info that I had just entered defaulted to her.  I just repeated the same card info and it was fine with that, but seemed unnecessary. 

Strange but unfortunately not surprising.

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I believe that there was a small box that you had to select for the cash account.  Was this there?  I hear you on the big thumbs.😁

Yep, Bella has to help me interpret your messages.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, custompcsys said:

No big deal if I can make the change to a cash account once I get there, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't done something wrong that I should call in to correct.

Sure, not a big deal for most, but some don't want to use credit cards for the onboard account and it's hard to believe they would change this to make it a requiremement.

14 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I have a bunch of check ins to do. 

I'll experiment across platforms

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Strange but unfortunately not surprising.

No, I guess not, but I'm still thinking some sort of programming glitch.  Maybe a different browser or some of the usual fixes.

5 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Sure, not a big deal for most, but some don't want to use credit cards for the onboard account and it's hard to believe they would change this to make it a requiremement.

I agree and I'm one of them.  It's just waaayyyyyy too easy to hand over that SeaPass card if it's attached to a credit card.  With virtually everything paid for in advance I don't see the need to have anything other than a cash account for incidentals, and if (god forbid 🙂 ) we do make a larger purchase on board I will just go to Guest Services and pay for it right then.

Edited by custompcsys

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

If you would let me know if you have the same experience as I did that would be cool.  Would like to think I'm not losing my mind 🙂

1 minute ago, custompcsys said:

I agree and I'm one of them.  It's just waaayyyyyy too easy to hand over that SeaPass card if it's attached to a credit card.  With virtually everything paid for in advance I don't see the need to have anything other than a cash account for incidentals, and if (god forbid 🙂 ) we do make a larger purchase on board I will just go to Guest Services and pay for it right then.

I'd be curious if you would have entered an invalid credit card number, maybe just transposing a few numbers from yours, would that have worked.

14 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I'd be curious if you would have entered an invalid credit card number, maybe just transposing a few numbers from yours, would that have worked.

Didn't think to try that.  With my luck I would have blown something up doing that though 🙂 

31 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Well now you're just Flaunting... 😉

By the time I have to do a check-in, the process has undergone several changes ☹️

dp

Edited by dpostman
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

My past issue has been the date. When my browser auto fills the information,  it uses 4 digits for the year. The website only want the last two.

I'm thinking that it's a case of the lousy IT for Royal striking again. 

I just did the check-in for our Anthem cruise on 9/26, last night. At first the system was doing the whole bounce back and forth through the "normal" login and register the cruise page using the booking number and then to the try again later page, even though I have already been using the Cruise Planner for this cruise for 5 months now. 

After checking my browser for any updates, making sure my pop-up blocker was off, clearing my history, and finally restarting the computer was I finally able to access the online check-in. When I reached the Seapass account setup page a cash account was definitely an option.

I just completed online check-in (from my PC) for a September Freedom cruise, and afterwards I realized it didn't ask for flight info. Or anything else about arrival at the pier, actually. Just name, address, C&A, travel documents, and onboard account info. Are they no longer interested in your third-party travel arrangements, or is that something we put in later now?