Error in Deluxe Beverage package pricing?

No email yet.  After reading the posted email, I'm so pleased with the deal offered and booked for 5 of our sailings.  WTG Royal!   👍    Maybe this will get us in the habit of buying the alcohol packages each cruise.....that is what you really wanted, isn't it?  

• Like 2

One think we might need to remember or at least beware of and that is a price drop in the cruise

Please be careful they don't revert to the prevailing rate of the day. 

Keep in mind I don't know if they would but you never know they may look for away to get out of the drink package.

1 minute ago, mommao729 said:

Did anyone not get an email yet? I did. My son didn’t. 

I have not.   I am friends with Laly  but don't want to bother her. I will wait a few days 

2 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Pleasant surprise for us for two cruises.  Royal will still profit from us even with lower price (we drink soda and a couple of glasses of Diamond wine at dinner) but appreciate them deciding to honor the goof.  Would never book this at the $46-56 normal discounted price.

Ditto.  Booked deluxe for 2 cruises in 2020 and spent money we wouldn't have otherwise (DH just gets soda package, nothing for me).  We typically bring our own wine, and then the rest of the drinks are a la carte.  Really happy that Royal is honoring it, and think they did the right thing just for their reputation and keeping customers.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Rinderoo said:

I think I will be a really, really, good tipper that week.  😉 

me also!  We already always tip the bar staff extra per drink, but with these savings, we will be tipping even more

• Like 1

I haven't received an email, I am booked through a TA.  I did get my email when I booked the package, as well as the confirmation of my mother's purchase.  Not sure yet if she received an email, she at this point has no idea I added the drink package to her booking.  

I got the e mail but in a strange twist it was not to the address that I used to purchase the drink packages.  It was to another e mail address that I set up to try and get the Royal Up e mails.  It is only associated with one cruise and that cruise is the only one of mine where the drink package wasn’t on sale.  

3 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Ditto.  Booked deluxe for 2 cruises in 2020 and spent money we wouldn't have otherwise (DH just gets soda package, nothing for me).  We typically bring our own wine, and then the rest of the drinks are a la carte.  Really happy that Royal is honoring it, and think they did the right thing just for their reputation and keeping customers.

I'll probably do a premium dining that I might have skipped. Maybe an extra ship's shirt. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

I'm a bit curious if they'll release the numbers to share holders.

1.  it would be immaterial and not require disclosure

2.  The money they collect goes into a liability account called Deferred Revenue, not into the income statement until it is earned.  By definition, this won't impact their P&L until 2020.

3.  To the extent that it makes any kind of a difference, it may need to be reflected in their future earnings per share guidance, but again, I seriously doubt that it would rise to the level of materiality.

• Like 2

This absolutely allows us to also book the ultimate dining package too.  I was really iffy on purchasing the drink package at $57, when my cruise on the Allure last year was at $32.  Glad we got it for 3 of our 4 cabins.  I didn't bother adding to my daughter and her boyfriend as he doesn't drink alcohol and they did get the soda package for the boardwalk room.  

The last time I went on a Royal cruise was about 4 maybe 5 years ago and they had two drink packages- DH got one for beer and I had the deluxe. His cost about $22.99 and the deluxe was in the high $30's - we were there with a large group so that's the only reason we got it. For 2020 I have two cruises scheduled my sister and I for a 4 nite cruise and DH and I for a 7 nite. Had no plans to buy the package - 2 bottles of wine that we bring with us and the occaissonal umbrella drink or bucket of beer by the pool would have sufficed. I am new to the cruise planner and seeing the constant changes  to dining packages and excursion prices is what had me checking prices. So yes I grabbed it- for both cruises. I even checked CC and saw where they thought it was a mistake - but had already bought it. It will add a little more enjoyment but considering my previous end of cruise invoice never went above $150 beyond gratuities I dont  feel guilty that I got this great deal. I am glad RCI is honoring the price. I will happily tip bartenders and honestly they are probably making money off me for both cruises regardless because none of us are heavy drinkers and they just got paid over $500 that I wouldn't have spent. But this thread surely has been entertaining!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

Looking forward now to the many posts still yet to come, this is great entertainment. Congrats to those who got the good price...though I am not impressed with the begrudging tone of the response email and shifting blame to an intern. IMO they still sold a service at a price they quoted, it would been much more classy had they merely said right away it was their mistake and they would honor it. It's costing them a bit of profit is all, not crippling the company.  

Bet you don't go to the comedy shows?  A cruise ship is entertainment and fun, and so a humorous memo to poke fun of their mistake, while telling you, to enjoy it on them is just that.....but humor is not for everyone

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

True, because their tip pool will be smaller because of the lower price.  Perhaps RC will make that up for the crew.

And I hope all of us who got this great deal, brings lots of extra $1 bills to tip the crew above and beyond the norm. Yay for all of us who got the deal - let's not penalize the crew for our luck.

• Like 7

"It might have been bad code, a random computer glitch — or maybe we just need to reinstate our intern typing test."

I wonder why they put this nonsense in the e-mail. Of course they know exactly what has happened. If not they'd shut down the web site until they did to prevent further "glitches". A computer is very unlikely to say $18 when it should have been $55. My guess is that it's either a human error, or a deliberate test to learn a lot at rather low costs. The amount of data gathered must be huge.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

Now that that's resolved, I'm a bit curious if they'll release the numbers to share holders. I'd be interested in knowing just how many people got this. Doubt if their SEC disclosures will be that explicit though

I doubt that the impact on revenue reaches the level of materiality that would require an SEC disclosure. 

mac_tlc

23 minutes ago, TheMiz said:

One think we might need to remember or at least beware of and that is a price drop in the cruise

Please be careful they don't revert to the prevailing rate of the day. 

Keep in mind I don't know if they would but you never know they may look for away to get out of the drink package.

you could be right.  But right now, every single one of my cruises for next year have gone up, not down.  But I agree, that is something to make sure of if you do see a price drop