Celebrity can we cancel with a future credit?

lescas

1 hour ago, emmas gran said:

I accept there are different rules for across the pond but will tell you about a friend's medical emergency  about 4 yrs ago.

They set off for a family trip to Barbados and after 2/3 days she felt quite ill so a doctor was called then an ambulance to take her to hospital but not before her husband paid $5000 US for bills that may be accrued. He was not allowed to travel with her and had to follow in a taxi to the hospital. It was decided after a couple of days she need care they could not give in Barbados and she was medevaced to Broward hospital in Florida. She spent 8 weeks there and then transported on a medical flight back to the UK via New York and Greenland this route was taken so they could touch down should her condition deteriorate, her final flight landed 15 minutes from her home but took her to a local hospital where she spent a further 10 weeks. The total cost for this was in excess of £500,000 and was covered by their insurance. The initial $5000 he paid was back on his credit card within 2 days of payment and they covered his room at a motel near the hospital in Florida.

My friend is doing OK now a little weak on her legs but doing OK  --we have never and would never travel without insurance even though our premiums used to be loaded due to past medical conditions.

I have posted this before so sorry if you remember it

I couldn't agree more - I pay a fortune for my cover - MS (well recurring transverse myelitis), Lupus and 8 moths in remission from Leukemia (lucky white heather anyone).  But I take insurance cost as part of my holiday cost - I was just happy when I found out after my 7 month hospital stay last year I was still insurable!!

In our experience many companies including cruise lines and hotels try to show compassion in difficult circumstances and indeed are accused of showing ‘no heart’ if they stick to strict terms and conditions....

I do hope that the couple described by the OP do get a something back to soften the blow of their missed cruise. I wish them all the best. However, the more cruisers who don’t insure and the more guests hoping for compassion can encourage companies to stick more and more to rigid terms and conditions.

I still find it hard hard to believe that anyone in this day and age will travel without medical cover....

5 minutes ago, fragilek said:

I couldn't agree more - I pay a fortune for my cover - MS (well recurring transverse myelitis), Lupus and 8 moths in remission from Leukemia (lucky white heather anyone).  But I take insurance cost as part of my holiday cost - I was just happy when I found out after my 7 month hospital stay last year I was still insurable!!

Sincere best wishes for a fantastic cruise fragilek! It sounds like you deserve it.

• 2 months later...
On 7/1/2019 at 6:59 PM, lescas said:

My SIL is sailing on Celebrity Infinity July 13 out of Venice with a party of 6 for their 70 Birthdays. Due to medical reason one couple has to cancel. At the time they booked three months ago, there was a small medical problem that time would take care. But now a surgical procedure has to be done next week with 3-4 weeks of rest. Did not get insurance, celebrity wont refund, or credit for a later cruise, etc. This trip was about $10,000 per couple. Airfare, hotel and cruise with a few extra days in Rome. Any help of where to start. 

FYI She did get a refund from both Celebrity and Airline, all but a few hundred dollars. After a letter from her doctor. So all was good. Thanks for your responses. 

2 hours ago, lescas said:

FYI She did get a refund from both Celebrity and Airline, all but a few hundred dollars. After a letter from her doctor. So all was good. Thanks for your responses. 

It's great for her that it all worked out but it does beg the question of why bother getting trip insurance then. I can get a medical only policy for 2 weeks for $30 (I'm young and it would be secondary coverage since I have primary insurance) but to get full comprehensive trip insurance it's hundreds.

On 7/19/2019 at 9:49 AM, chemmo said:

I still find it hard hard to believe that anyone in this day and age will travel without medical cover..

I’m shocked to frequently read on CC how many do travel without any insurance. It must a cultural issue as I’m pushed to know anyone (personal friends and family) on this side of the pond who doesn’t have/get travel insurance for holidays, and we don’t even have ‘cancel for any reason’ policies either (well, as far as I know).

Edited by villauk

1 hour ago, villauk said:

I’m shocked to frequently read on CC how many do travel without any insurance. It must a cultural issue as I’m pushed to know anyone (personal friends and family) on this side of the pond who doesn’t have/get travel insurance for holidays, and we don’t even have ‘cancel for any reason’ policies either (well, as far as I know).

I am one of those on this side of the pond that seldom purchases travel insurance.  I just figure that I am “self insuring”.  I have always been a risk taker.  I have saved thousands of dollars.  

Recently someone posted about a US based annual travel policy.  I looked into the possibility, but the policy was not very good IMO.  I am sure that many people in the US get travel insurance, but it would not surprise me if it was a lower %.

What  does a typical annual travel insurance policy cost in the UK?  Does it cover all travel within the year without many restrictions?

thanks

7 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I am one of those on this side of the pond that seldom purchases travel insurance.  I just figure that I am “self insuring”.  I have always been a risk taker.  I have saved thousands of dollars.  

Recently someone posted about a US based annual travel policy.  I looked into the possibility, but the policy was not very good IMO.  I am sure that many people in the US get travel insurance, but it would not surprise me if it was a lower %.

What  does a typical annual travel insurance policy cost in the UK?  Does it cover all travel within the year without many restrictions?

thanks

We, personally, have an annual family policy, but from the MoneySupermarket website:

How much is annual travel insurance?

An annual travel insurance policy is more expensive than single-trip cover, but is likely to be cheaper overall if you take three or four more holidays in a calendar year.

Costs vary according to which part of the world you are travelling to - Europe, the rest of the world, or the rest of the world minus North America. You should also expect to pay more the older you are; according to MoneySuperMarket data from March 2019, people under the age of 25 pay less than £23 on average for a multi-trip policy. Once you get into your mid 30s and above, you should expect to pay £40 or more. There's another leap when you retire, when you can expect to pay £65 or more on average.

I feel for the OP, but also am surprised that when a holiday is $10,000 per person that no insurance is bought. I hope some of the expense can be recouped and the birthday celebrations can continue at a later date.

I always buy an annual policy with 'cruise cover' and my holiday is usually only a max £2000 cost. The cruise cover pays out for missed ports, cabin confinement etc. on top of the usual medical costs etc. Possibly it is more a UK thing as we have never had refundable deposits to fall back on. I renew every year and it is so useful as it covers any odd days away as well as main holidays.

17 hours ago, villauk said:

We, personally, have an annual family policy, but from the MoneySupermarket website:

How much is annual travel insurance?

An annual travel insurance policy is more expensive than single-trip cover, but is likely to be cheaper overall if you take three or four more holidays in a calendar year.

Costs vary according to which part of the world you are travelling to - Europe, the rest of the world, or the rest of the world minus North America. You should also expect to pay more the older you are; according to MoneySuperMarket data from March 2019, people under the age of 25 pay less than £23 on average for a multi-trip policy. Once you get into your mid 30s and above, you should expect to pay £40 or more. There's another leap when you retire, when you can expect to pay £65 or more on average.

We wouldn't dream of not having cover. We are probably not covered enough as we usually have 6 cruises booked in suites over the following 2 years at any time but I am ok with the level as it is only in the period after final payment that you are fully at risk. If I lose a few deposits its not the end of the world.

Ours in part comes free with the bank account. We pay £100 to £200 to cover pre existing conditions each year but it covers cruises.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

15 minutes ago, villauk said:

Unsure about the ‘free’ statement 🤣, but ours is the same.

You pay a fee for it be most of my fee is covered by cashback on bills. Our local TA has also signed up for the scheme so I effectively get an extra 1% on our cruise fares. I guess the 1% on the cruises and other holidays puts me in pocket at the moment. 

• Thanks 1