snorkelling trips from harvest Caye or palencia

nbhwarrior

As I understand, all the tours out of Harvest Caye are ship sponsored excursions.  There may be vendors on the dock at the mainland.

But there are many good dive/snorkel vendors in Palencia.  You can see their reviews on Trip Advisor. Appears most are dives and operate for people who are staying locally.  But you can contact them and see if there are snorkel tours that fit your schedule.

• 6 months later...

Wondering same for a Placencia-based excursion.  There is only one ship-based excursion listed for my Harvest Caye port at $99, for 2.5 hours which leads me to believe there will be no more than 1.5 hours of actual snorkeling.  Recent reviews indicate it is not a particularly healthy reef... And I know that Laughing Gull Caye and Silk Caye are both possibilities from Placencia.  My biggest concern with  my plan to use an independent snorkel/dive company in Placencia is the return ferry from Placencia to Harvest Caye; as NCL recommends a 3 hour return from Placencia and any availability beyond that 3 hour turnaround is not guaranteed unless you are on an NCL excursion.  However, we are in Harvest Caye for 11 hours so I feel I have quite a bit of wiggle room even if I get bumped once or twice in the afternoon.  Just curious if anyone else has done an extended excursion booked directly in Placencia and what their feedback/experience was on return ferry availabilty/scheduling.  I hate being so close to Placencia and missing out on some world class snorkeling.