Air transat good. bad or in different?

ohnonotmeagain

Hi

Thinking about booking air transat for an upcoming crise to Alaska. Gatwick to Vancouver air bus 330 200( does that sound right?) 

Need your experience required good seats,meals and anything else that may be of interest or relevance 

Flight does seem very cheap...... 

Edited by ohnonotmeagain
Predicted text!!!!!

We have flown on Transat many times to Europe-usually on open jaw tickets.    We have flown them to Cuba and to Mexico on multiple occasions.   We like the 330s-lots of overhead storage space.   

Transat do one way pricing which is something many other carriers do not.  They are our go to when we only need a one way ticket to Europe.  

Never had a problem.  From our perspective they are as good as any other carrier.  You can choose your seats etc. for a fee.

We booked tickets to Athens and return from London last week on Transat.  They had the right flights at the right price.

Meals...they are all the same.  We typically eat prior to getting on the plane.  They do provide a meal on transatlantic flights.  The usual that you get on any airline.  We did notice that they had a gourmet meal option on offer.  We passed. 

Given a choice between AIr Canada and Transat we would typically select Transat.  Unfortunately it appears that AC is poised to buy Transat.

Edited by iancal
  • Thanks 1

We have flown them several times and had no problems.  The last time was a flight home to Toronto from Rome after a TA cruise.  We booked their Club Class - it's like premium economy and were very pleased with it.  

• Thanks 1

I flew them in May, Vancouver to Gatwick and return. I do like the fact that you can book one way with them.

Flight was fine. Seemed a newer plane. Lots of legroom in economy. 

I paid the extra fee to include luggage and seat selection.

They do weigh carry-ons so be aware of that.

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2019 at 9:33 AM, iancal said:

Meals...they are all the same. 

Actually, Delta has just made a big announcement regarding upcoming improvements to the meals served in coach* on international flights scheduled for 6.5 hours or longer, as well as on select shorter international flights.  The changes will begin in November and include:

-welcome aboard cocktails

-hot towel service

-upgraded mix and match options for appetizers and entrees, as well as larger entrees

-improved dinnerware/cutlery and a placemat

-dessert served separately, after the meal, with a choice of coffee, tea, wine or water

-a second hot towel service prior to arrival

-individually wrapped chocolates during descent

*The marketing verbiage about the changes specifically refers to "main cabin," which is a specific coach class booking category, when discussing the upcoming changes.  That may mean that those who purchase a bare bones "basic economy" coach ticket will get the old style coach meal service, although I think that would be impractical, since BE pax are interspersed seat-wise with the Main Cabin pax, putting a burden on the flight attendants to constantly remember who's getting what within the coach section of the plane.

We have had Delta meals in economy on international flights.  They are in desperate need of improvement based on our experiences.  In our experience, only United is worse than Delta when it comes to food.

On our transpacific flight this past January we opted for Korean Air instead of Delta.  It felt like a step up.  Better service, better food on both of our Korean flights compared to what we had experienced on Delta in prior years.  It seemed like more staff but perhaps that was because of the level of service that we experienced.

Edited by iancal

14 hours ago, iancal said:

We have had Delta meals in economy on international flights.  They are in desperate need of improvement based on our experiences.  In our experience, only United is worse than Delta when it comes to food.

It sounds like that's the kind of feedback Delta is responding to.  I find it encouraging that in their announcement they mention improvements to both the food (upgraded food options, mix and match choices, larger portions) AND the overall meal service (nicer service items, dessert served as a separate course, welcome aboard cocktails, etc.).   They have already reintroduced meals in coach on select domestic routes and improved or enlarged snack options that are offered so they it appears they are eager to be an industry leader in this area, at least amongst US-based airlines.

We do not bother with the food very much.  The airlines have a challenge.  People play $600/800 for a return flight to Bangkok and expect filet steak and good red plonk after takeoff and a fresh, hot omlette w/croissant prior to landing.    The numbers don't work.  

We paid $575 USD for YYZ-ATH and LGW-YYC.   Our only expectation is a seat with a small amount of leg room.  Does not matter if the meal, should we bother with it, is good or bad or if their is an upcharge for whatever.    Our expectations are a little different if we spring for business class.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

We flew Air Transat from Toronto to Paris using Club Class and it was a great experience; I would recommend it to anyone.  We are flying Air Transat Option Plus Toronto-Glasgow & Gatwick-Toronto next month at the recommendation of a friend who flies it frequently.  I will report back on that.  🙂  

• Like 1

Fly transat to the UK at least once a year from YYZ to MAN or LGW. This year had to do the trip twice.   I have no issues.  When I can afford it I fly club which is very comfy.  I have to say I flew AC to LHR this year and did prefer it but only because There was a seat sale. Whether Transat’s  pricing will remain so competitive after the takeover by AC remains to be seen

• Thanks 1

Not very happy about this AC takeover. We use Transat twice a year.  Once to do open jaw flights to Europe.   Again around Christmas/New Year to join our daughter/family in Mexico for a week.   Good service, good flights, good price.      Just hope that AC moves AC Vacations over to them instead of the reverse.

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2019 at 12:43 PM, waterbug123 said:

*The marketing verbiage about the changes specifically refers to "main cabin," which is a specific coach class booking category, when discussing the upcoming changes.  That may mean that those who purchase a bare bones "basic economy" coach ticket will get the old style coach meal service, although I think that would be impractical, since BE pax are interspersed seat-wise with the Main Cabin pax, putting a burden on the flight attendants to constantly remember who's getting what within the coach section of the plane.

They've been testing out different parts of this new service on different routes, snd there is no difference in service level and amenities between Basic and non-Basic Economy flyers.