Travel insurance for Vancouver/Victoria RT?

We always purchase travel insurance for international trips. We have an upcoming RT West Coast trip to Vancouver.  I know that Medicare does not extend past the states however I read that it will cover you if on a cruise ship within 6 hours of arrival or departure from a US port, which both Vancouver and Victoria are. I am wondering if those more experienced with this type of situation have Information or experience with this?  Thank you

(Call Medicare for the best details)This is what Medicare says:

If you got Medicare-covered services on a cruise ship under a situation described in the previous question, the doctor must ordinarily submit the Medicare claim. However, you may also file a claim directly to Medicare in these rare circumstances. For information on where to send a foreign claim, visit CMS.gov/Medicare/CMS-Forms/CMS-Forms/CMS-Forms-Items/CMS012949.html to get the “Patient’s Request for Medical Payment” form (CMS 1490S). Print out the form and instructions that apply to your situation (like for services you got on a cruise ship or during other foreign travel). You can also call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). TTY users can call 1-877-486-2048.

Not sure where you read the "6 hour" info but it appears you only read part of the criteria. I suggest you read it on the Medicare site and read it all. As neverbeenhere suggest, call Medicare or SHINE /SHIP if you still have questions.

Thank you. I did call Medicare. The person I spoke with told me it covered six hours outside of US. What she could not clarify was if that was sail time or drive time (either Victoria or Vancouver are very close to Washington), bit she thought it was sail time. She also wasn’t sure of the difference in the statement when the 6 hours was in effect - arrival or departure. We just aren’t going to take a chance. Isn’t worth it. Buying the insurance. 

Thank you for your responses. 

The following information is on page 48 of the official U. S. Government Medicare Handbook Medicare & You: "Medicare generally doesn't cover health care while you're traveling outside the U.S." "There are some exceptions, including cases where Medicare may pay for services you get while on board a ship within the territorial waters adjoining the land areas of the U.S."

Additional clarification is provided under Travel on the Medicare website: "In some cases, Medicare may cover Medically necessary health care services you get on board a ship within the territorial waters adjoining the land areas of the U.S. Medicare won't pay for health care services you get when a ship is more than 6 hours away from a U.S. port."

Note that it says "In some cases" and "may" - not "will". The 6-hour limit is only one part of the sentence. Note that the ship must be "within the territorial waters adjoining the land areas of the U. S." Once the ship enters Canadian waters, it is no longer in U. S. territorial waters even if it just left the U. S. port an hour ago.