NCL Pearl Cancelled 07/05/19

shadow1972

This is heartbreaking. We are on the Star out of Venice in September and I told my husband something like this could happen.  We are going to Rome after cruise and we have talked about the Plan B if cruise were cancelled.  I’m a flexible traveler but would still be disappointed if this would happen.  

7 hours ago, shadow1972 said:

Why did you feel the need to comment on this?To correct the accurateness. I know someone on board.

Their story is pure fiction! I was on the 4/28/19 TA crossing and the ship,was rampant with Norovirus and the crew was not well trained to handle this. There is no mechanical issue but a MASSIVE health issue. If you are concerned I suggest the USA CDC thoroughly inspect his ship is allowed into a USA port prior to since it's a floating cesspool. Complain like me and you are thrown off even though my wife was was

sick and still is. In my opinion it's a floating cesspool.

10 hours ago, maulers2000 said:

No but it was the remnants of Norovirus which spreads like wildfire and hard to kill. I was on the TS crossing on 4/28/19 and it was HELL. Don't go near that ship! Money can't restore health.

1 hour ago, CookieShip said:

Sucks for all involved. Just curious if this would be covered by standard travel insurance? 

The cruise line is refunding fare, plus giving $300PP for airline changes. What else do you want the travel insurance to cover?

13 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

The cruise line is refunding fare, plus giving $300PP for airline changes. What else do you want the travel insurance to cover?

For travelers who have already departed, their flights if they can even be changed would probably be in excess of $300?

Or they have to spend money on last minute accommodations in a foreign country they hadn't planned spending? 

Anyway, I was asking as I didn't know, but this seems to be a more unusual case of a vacation being cancelled/interrupted.

• Like 1

Can't believe my luck.

I was due to sail on 5th. This was a replacement cruise for the Oasis Of The Seas transatlantic which was cancelled in March!

Thankfully I have managed to switch to a shorter Celebrity alternative, and will spend a few days pottering about Italy. Life could be a lot worse.

• Like 12

I'm so sorry to hear about this.  What a horrible thing to be stranded at the last minute especially if you are already over there or on the way, especially for those folk who traveled so far (Australia, New Zealand).  And a $300 airfare credit certainly does not even begin to cover international airfare.

There is also another company to look at --Celestyal Cruises--that does the Greek islands. They depart from Piraeus (Athens), though.  They have a 3-day on July 5th and a 4 or 7 day on July 8th.

I'm booked on the Pearl for July 28th with a non-refundable 2-day pre-cruise hotel.  Sometimes mechanical issues do not get resolved on the first go-round so I will be holding my breath.  I wonder if the awful heat wave is contributing to issues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drb247 said:

Can't believe my luck.

I was due to sail on 5th. This was a replacement cruise for the Oasis Of The Seas transatlantic which was cancelled in March!

Thankfully I have managed to switch to a shorter Celebrity alternative, and will spend a few days pottering about Italy. Life could be a lot worse.

Hopefully third time lucky for you... enjoy Italy and have a great cruise.

5 hours ago, CookieShip said:

Sucks for all involved. Just curious if this would be covered by standard travel insurance? 

I would think so. Since cruise has been cancelled and refunded, insurance does nothing there. But flight change fees not covered by NCL’s laughable $300 allotment would probably be covered as well as non refundable hotels and what not. I have an Allianz policy from a trip earlier this year and am going to review it later today, out of curiosity. 

14 hours ago, El168 said:

We are a very unhappy bunch of people on the Pearl.  Its chaos here and people are already buying tickets back home.

my sympathy to all affected. What a crappy thing to have happen. I don't know if I feel sorrier for those ending their cruise or for those prepared to board in just 2 days. Stuff happens, but that doesn't make it any better for anyone involved. The Pearl is such a great ship and now this.  

13 hours ago, shadow1972 said:

Why did you feel the need to comment on this?

Maybe it wasn't necessary to make the comment, but in all fairness, I understand the frustration for all involved, and yet no one asks for mechanical problems to happen. The op knows this and could have held back from the comment he made. 

I feel sorry for everyone but especially those who are not in their home country and feel

stranded because their cruise was cancelled. We once were stranded when our flight out of LaGuardia

was cancelled due to a snowstorm but were able to find a hotel to stay at for three days until

we could get home. We were also at the end of our vacation (land based) plus 

I was in my home country so I spoke the language. It  was still was super upsetting. I can

just imagine being overseas in this situation. So sorry to everyone in this situation.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, shadow1972 said:

I just received a robocall, and have confirmed this with my NCL cruise consultant that the 13 day Greek Isles & Italy from Rome has been cancelled due to unforeseen mechanical problems.  Way to give us a few days notice NCL.

H

Edited by purpleally
Wording

13 hours ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

Does the future cruise credit include the promotions from the cruise that was cancelled? 

The future credit is usually off base fare which is a number smaller than you'd see for the booking rate.  Very difficult to reconcile from past experience.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Motegi said:

Wow!  Weeks!?!?

It took us just a day or two when we did it.  

We called them first and then emailed them the NCL Latitudes screenshot.  

Even if if you don’t get a status match I would strongly consider MSC options to fill the gap left by the Pearl cancellation.

I also think the NCL Epic 7 day western med would be an easy alternative.  Especially since you can embark from Civitavechia or Barcelona. It’s a shorter cruise but it’s still a cruise!

Reports are from a couple days to a few weeks to, in case of DW, resubmit after months.

My brother and friends are currently on Pearl. They missed Palma on Monday and headed for Barcelona due to propulsion problems. Yesterday they were told that Monaco will also be missed today and they would leave for Livorno at 6am this morning. They did not depart and are still docked in Barcelona. It seems that they are not given much information and the uncertainty is frustrating. We are now arranging flights to Rome in order to catch flights home on Friday. Barcelona is a wonderful city, but they have been numerous times and it does not quite make up for missing other ports during the 2nd week of their cruise.