Cruise Critic Community
mnocket

Great Article on Overtourism - Shouldn't Cruise Lines Mix Up Their Itineraries More?

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

No, it's just that Italy is where I've encountered it most often because I travel there more frequently. I am not a big fan of tripe -- have tried it in several forms and presentations in Italy and France and while I am perfectly able to manage a few bites, it just doesn't appeal.

Is quinto quarto only tripe? I was under the impression it includes all offal. I haven't been to Italy (unless you include one day in Trieste as visiting Italy😜) so my only knowledge of their food only goes as far as pasta and pizza😂.

Near where I live there is a traditional pho restaurant and they do an amazing pho with tripe. They make into super thin strips like noodles and it absorbs all the lovely broth.

Edited by ilikeanswers

37 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Is quinto quarto only tripe? I was under the impression it includes all offal. I haven't been to Italy (unless you include one day in Trieste as visiting Italy😜) so my only knowledge of their food only goes as far as pasta and pizza😂.

Near where I live there is a traditional pho restaurant and they do an amazing pho with tripe. They make into super thin strips like noodles and it absorbs all the lovely broth.

No, you're correct. Quinto quarto refers to all offal. I was just sort of talking conversationally. 

I can go for a nice rich oxtail ragu, but most of the dishes featuring offal that I've tried in Italy have not inspired me to try them again. Including the famous trippa and lampredotto panini that are a specialty in Florence:  https://www.visitflorence.com/eating-and-drinking-in-florence/florence-street-food.html

My son's college room mate and now good friend is Vietnamese and we have a large Viet community here. They go to some really authentic spots for pho -- but he always recommended to NOT get the tripe -- not sure whether that was because he wasn't 100% sure of the restaurant or whether it is just a preference.... Usually they get the version with several types of beef, including tendon (but no tripe).

(Just had pho and a bahn mi for lunch yesterday myself -- yum!!!)

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Here's an article.  https://italoamericano.org/story/2018-11-29/trippa-romana  The photo looks like all tripe but they list all manner of offal.  I honestly don't think tripe has real flavor.  More like it picks up the flavor of what it's cooked with/in.  We both love it.

I've never thought of oxtail is offal.  Is offal all things that are inside the animal?

I make large batches of pho broth and freeze in portions.  Then it's easy to have it whenever I want.

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Is quinto quarto only tripe? I was under the impression it includes all offal.

Quinto quarto translates to "fifth quarter," an Italian butcher's term describing all meats not part of the traditional "quarter" of an butchered animal.  It and the term "offal" cover all internal organs and parts outside the traditional "quarter" including hooves, head, tail, etc. 

Some "offal" is regarded as more awful than others (pun intended.)  Liver is widely consumed, tripe and pancreas (sweetbreads) not so much.  Tongue falls somewhere in between and properly cooked is delicious. 

5 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Liver is widely consumed, tripe and pancreas (sweetbreads) not so much.  Tongue falls somewhere in between and properly cooked is delicious. 

I like foie gras but not regular liver.  Love tripe and sweetbreads is one of my fave foods ever.  I haven't had tongue in ages.

Sweetbreads:

sweetbreads 216.1.jpg

22 minutes ago, clo said:

I like foie gras but not regular liver.  Love tripe and sweetbreads is one of my fave foods ever.  I haven't had tongue in ages.

Sweetbreads:

sweetbreads 216.1.jpg

That looks amazing--minus the meat.  I'm not vegetarian, but the older I get the more I seem to prefer an ovo-lacto diet.  If my husband wasn't a dedicated carnivore I'd only eat a chicken breast or maybe some fish a couple times a month.

22 hours ago, ducklite said:

HAHHA  Got me!!

Me, too. Just call me a sheeple...

1 hour ago, ducklite said:

That looks amazing--minus the meat.  I'm not vegetarian, but the older I get the more I seem to prefer an ovo-lacto diet.  If my husband wasn't a dedicated carnivore I'd only eat a chicken breast or maybe some fish a couple times a month.

Quick OT.  Without the meat:  https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Milk-Fed-Veal-Sweetbreads-in-the-Old-Style/

On 8/3/2019 at 6:40 AM, ontheweb said:

We won't be there that day (Ringo Starr headlining), but will be at Bethel Woods on Saturday (Santana back on the 50th anniversary of their breakout performance at Woodstock with the Doobie Brothers opening.)

Since CC does not have a PM feature please excuse this post :

Retro69 played last week at Bethel Woods.They were on stage with Melanie and Arlo Guthrie.

Santana and the Doobie Brothers will be in LI tomorrow evening at an outdoor concert venue.

We did a tapas tour in Barcelona and at one of the places we stopped at we were offered a delicious tomato-based dish which turned out to be tripe. Our tour guide didn't tell us what it was until some of us had tried it. I'd happily eat that again but I doubt I'd ever cook tripe at home.

Back to the original topic of overtourism, I just read this blog entry from Mary Beard (author of several books on ancient Rome and Pompeii) about overtourism in Athens:

https://www.the-tls.co.uk/lows-highs-visiting-athens/

I can't tell how many times I've recommended seeing the Roman forum and the Tower of the Winds (a fascinating building) in Athens.....yet so many cruisers go there and only see the Acropolis and the museum. (And then if they go again, they say there is nothing else to be seen there... :classic_huh:)

15 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I can't tell how many times I've recommended seeing the Roman forum and the Tower of the Winds (a fascinating building) in Athens.....yet so many cruisers go there and only see the Acropolis and the museum. (And then if they go again, they say there is nothing else to be seen there... :classic_huh:)

I have noticed that a lot with Caribbean destinations, everyone seems to suggest once you have been a few times there is nothing left to see. I have travelled very little through that region so I don't know it well but it always makes me think about this yearly drive I do to this tiny outback town and every trip we have always found something to do that we haven't done before, so I'm always baffled when I read the comments here saying there is nothing to do in so and so place. It just seems a little unbelievable.