Great Article on Overtourism - Shouldn't Cruise Lines Mix Up Their Itineraries More?

mnocket

9 minutes ago, ducklite said:

This!!  

The boom in tourism is going to become a bust for Belfast.  So many companies were started just to cater to the tourists flocking in to see where the series was filmed.  But memories are fleeting and in a couple of years people will be saying "Game of What?" and that entire segment of tourism to NI will be in shambles.  

It depends on the show. I heard that Sex and the City tours are still running in New York and that show is over 20yrs old😳.

51 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

It depends on the show. I heard that Sex and the City tours are still running in New York and that show is over 20yrs old😳.

I believe there are currently only one or two Sex and the City tours still running.  This validates my point.  At one time there were probably 20 different tours. That's a lot of lost jobs as those tours shuttered due to waning interest.

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

What amuses me is people who travel to visit sites where Game of Thrones, or The Godfather, were filmed -- as if these were places where real history took place. They are movie sets!  😏

Some movies mark history as well though. Some fond memories are tied in with films, just like with songs. As for movie sets, where they are using stunning landscapes or architecture it can be wonderful and that is worth seeing in any case.

Thousands of people still go to many landmarks and places due to just being popular but the films have added an extra dimension to the interest. Empire state building, Kakadu, Casablanca, Colloseum, Sydney Harbour, Dubrovnik, London, Paris and NYC where very popular before the many films that featured them.

35 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Some movies mark history as well though. Some fond memories are tied in with films, just like with songs. As for movie sets, where they are using stunning landscapes or architecture it can be wonderful and that is worth seeing in any case.

Look what Lord of The Rings has done for New Zealand

Went to a convention years ago at Vegas and had a name tag on saying I was from NZ  Everybody said what a beautiful country you have.  At that stage I hadn't seen Lord of the Rings. I must have been the only person in the world who hadn't seen it then

54 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I can understand a film bringing back fond memories, but wouldn't it be logical to just see the film again?  Nothing really "happened" at the filming site other than a few actors and a whole lot more crew treading the (probably highly altered in digital engineering) ground.

I really loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy but it didn't make me want to travel to New Zealand. If and when I do go there, I'd be much more interested in learning more about maori culture and (not least) finding out where all that delicious NZ Sauvignon Blanc comes from!

27 minutes ago, Thecat123 said:

Look what Lord of The Rings has done for New Zealand

Went to a convention years ago at Vegas and had a name tag on saying I was from NZ  Everybody said what a beautiful country you have.  At that stage I hadn't seen Lord of the Rings. I must have been the only person in the world who hadn't seen it then

Exactly my point.

7 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I can understand a film bringing back fond memories, but wouldn't it be logical to just see the film again?  Nothing really "happened" at the filming site other than a few actors and a whole lot more crew treading the (probably highly altered in digital engineering) ground.

I really loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy but it didn't make me want to travel to New Zealand. If and when I do go there, I'd be much more interested in learning more about maori culture and (not least) finding out where all that delicious NZ Sauvignon Blanc comes from!

Different people have different interests.  Some people are huge fans if seeing where different movies are filmed.

I enjoy a nice glass of wine, but unlike you I have zero interest in personally getting to meet the vine where the grapes were born. 

Just now, ed01106 said:

I enjoy a nice glass of wine, but unlike you I have zero interest in personally getting to meet the vine where the grapes were born. 

You're right, I was really just struggling for reasons to go to New Zealand. I'm much rather just drink a glass or ten of the wine.

(Nothing against NZ before anyone gets offended. It's just that my travels are primarily driven by ancient history and civilizations, and while NZ is very scenic, I'm sure, it doesn't have a lot of Roman ruins...)

10 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

So no one should go to NYC unless for work because films have enhanced the streetscapes.  Travel is about exploring new places and if films help inspire, nothing wrong with that. I have never gone to a place purely for the film set, but I have sat on the bench in Savannah due to the Forrest Gump film and I have yelled out some film quotes when visiting places that have been in movies as well.

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

You're right, I was really just struggling for reasons to go to New Zealand. I'm much rather just drink a glass or ten of the wine.

(Nothing against NZ before anyone gets offended. It's just that my travels are primarily driven by ancient history and civilizations, and while NZ is very scenic, I'm sure, it doesn't have a lot of Roman ruins...)

It does have ruins though and historical places, just different.

I read The Lord of the Rings trilogy 50 years ago and enjoyed the films.  NZ is on my wish list along with Australia.  I like scenery and history.  I also like wine and  enjoy visiting wineries.  Since  I am allergic to barley, I pass om breweries/distilleries.    There is room for all of us on cruises/tours.

46 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I guess compared to the Colosseum Polynesian temples are probably not as visually spectacular🙄. In saying that you have to give credit where credit is due in that much of ancient Polynesian culture is still alive and practised compared to European ancient civilisations which really only exist in archaeology😜

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I guess compared to the Colosseum Polynesian temples are probably not as visually spectacular🙄. In saying that you have to give credit where credit is due in that much of ancient Polynesian culture is still alive and practised compared to European ancient civilisations which really only exist in archaeology😜

Yep, living history still living.

15 hours ago, ed01106 said:

Different people have different interests.  Some people are huge fans if seeing where different movies are filmed.

You might have no interest in meeting the vine but my visit to the Oban distillery in Scotland is as close as I'll come to a holy pilgrimage.  😉

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Tom47 said:

I read The Lord of the Rings trilogy 50 years ago and enjoyed the films.  NZ is on my wish list along with Australia.  I like scenery and history.  I also like wine and  enjoy visiting wineries.  Since  I am allergic to barley, I pass om breweries/distilleries.    There is room for all of us on cruises/tours.

FYI--not all beer and spirits are made with barley.  Rice, corn, rye, potatoes, grapes, apples, and wheat are also common.

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2019 at 5:46 AM, Extra Kim said:

You should now this by now, if you ask me, I have been to a lot of places. If I would ask you, no since I didn't spend months at the same place 🙄

I really dis-like the winter, the cold and the darkness. I would almost say that I hate it. Taking time off to go to a cold place means that I waste time that I could have spent somewhere warm and sunny.

It seems you've traveled a fair amount but it seems it's a lot of cruising to similar places.  But, honestly, I rarely pay attention to where people go.  Also one travels to Antarctica in their summer.  It's neither cold nor dark.  As a matter of fact when we were on the ship we wore shorts and tees pretty much all day.

On 8/10/2019 at 8:03 AM, ducklite said:

FYI--not all beer and spirits are made with barley.  Rice, corn, rye, potatoes, grapes, apples, and wheat are also common.

Cachaca (Brazilian spirit) is made from sugar cane.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 1:41 PM, Extra Kim said:

My guess is that we have different perspectives based on both age and where we live. 

Oh, I think that's an ill-founded assumption.  Our daughters are in their early 40s and one, for sure, would rather take a beating than go on a cruise period.  They'd rather climb a mountain, raft a river, backcountry ski, etc.  As has been mentioned (here?) cruise lines are likely having the problem that golf clubs have of attracting people.

And speaking of me and Italy, what little I've done so far has been fine and I hope to do a lot more, but I loathed the crowds in Rome and wouldn't go back.