Great Article on Overtourism - Shouldn't Cruise Lines Mix Up Their Itineraries More?

mnocket

2 hours ago, clo said:

It seems you've traveled a fair amount but it seems it's a lot of cruising to similar places.  But, honestly, I rarely pay attention to where people go.  Also one travels to Antarctica in their summer.  It's neither cold nor dark.  As a matter of fact when we were on the ship we wore shorts and tees pretty much all day.

Well if I like where I'm going, Why wouldn't do something similar? 

Not sure how you still can be able to miss the point. I wouldn't mind if I never saw snow again, ever. Spend several weeks in a army tent when it's below - 30°C and you need to showel away 1 meter of snow before you can put up the tent and you too might just get enough of the winter for the rest of your life..

1 hour ago, clo said:

Oh, I think that's an ill-founded assumption.  Our daughters are in their early 40s and one, for sure, would rather take a beating than go on a cruise period.  They'd rather climb a mountain, raft a river, backcountry ski, etc.  As has been mentioned (here?) cruise lines are likely having the problem that golf clubs have of attracting people.

And speaking of me and Italy, what little I've done so far has been fine and I hope to do a lot more, but I loathed the crowds in Rome and wouldn't go back.

Do you think that the cruise lines have a problem attracting new passangers? For real? Where have you been the last 10 years? Antarctica? 😉 All major lines are expanding and have new ships on order, plus there new lines in the pipe line.

9 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

Well if I like where I'm going, Why wouldn't do something similar? 

Not sure how you still can be able to miss the point. I wouldn't mind if I never saw snow again, ever. Spend several weeks in a army tent when it's below - 30°C and you need to showel away 1 meter of snow before you can put up the tent and you too might just get enough of the winter for the rest of your life..

Do you think that the cruise lines have a problem attracting new passangers? For real? Where have you been the last 10 years? Antarctica? 😉 All major lines are expanding and have new ships on order, plus there new lines in the pipe line.

https://www.brandwatch.com/blog/millennials-cruise-industry/

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

I don't think it snows very often in Reno

Define "very often."  But up until a year ago we lived 50 miles away from Reno at Lake Tahoe where our six foot high fences were frequently covered with snow.

15 minutes ago, clo said:

Define "very often."  But up until a year ago we lived 50 miles away from Reno at Lake Tahoe where our six foot high fences were frequently covered with snow.

I got the info from a weather site (for Reno) - 

Most days of snowfall in Reno leave just a skiff, amounting to less than an inch, of fresh snow on the ground. For 6 days a year on average, the amount of new snow totals at least an inch.

Being an hour away, would be different to the city.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Being an hour away, would be different to the city.

Sincerely not sure what you're saying here.

And rest assured that we are VERY happy to not live in that any more.  One of the ski resorts got sixty FEET (what's that? 20 meters) last winter and were open through the 4th of July.  

4 minutes ago, clo said:

Sincerely not sure what you're saying here.

And rest assured that we are VERY happy to not live in that any more.  One of the ski resorts got sixty FEET (what's that? 20 meters) last winter and were open through the 4th of July.  

I was saying that the weather would be different to what is in the city, if you are an hour away (50 miles) from the city.

As for the ski resorts, I doubt they have them in the city, they tend to be out of the city. so people can ski.

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

I was saying that the weather would be different to what is in the city, if you are an hour away (50 miles) from the city.

As for the ski resorts, I doubt they have them in the city, they tend to be out of the city. so people can ski.

I guess I'm especially dull today.  We used to live in snow country and now we live where we get much smaller amounts of snow.  But unsure what this has to do with this thread.  And I seem incapable of wading through long threads.

2 minutes ago, clo said:

I guess I'm especially dull today.  We used to live in snow country and now we live where we get much smaller amounts of snow.  But unsure what this has to do with this thread.  And I seem incapable of wading through long threads.

Extra Kim said they don't want to holiday where there is snow.

Just now, MicCanberra said:

Extra Kim said they don't want to holiday where there is snow.

Oh, thanks.  She also commented about "cold and dark" which is what I replied to.  It wasn't either and if you do a "cruise by" all you do is look at the snow 🙂 .

39 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

If there's snow, it's too cold. 

So if you can see/look at it then it's cold.  I don't know about Sweden but here in the Western US, there are mountains that have snow on them year round.  When the temp 'down below' may be 100F/37C.  That has to add another restriction to your travel 🙂

41 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

I'm a man. If there's snow, it's too cold. 

Where we live, we get about 100 in of snow a year.  DW has been known to stand at the window and yell "Stop snowing!"😊

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tom47 said:

Where we live, we get about 100 in of snow a year.  DW has been known to stand at the window and yell "Stop snowing!"😊

Our county did a good job of plowing and we had a guy who did our parking deck.  But we had a fair amount of shoveling to do. But we're retired so after the shoveling it was nice to sit and watch it and say "let it snow, let it snow, let it snow." 🙂  I can't imagine eliminating Antarctica because there was snow!

36 minutes ago, clo said:

Our county did a good job of plowing and we had a guy who did our parking deck.  But we had a fair amount of shoveling to do. But we're retired so after the shoveling it was nice to sit and watch it and say "let it snow, let it snow, let it snow." 🙂  I can't imagine eliminating Antarctica because there was snow!

I have a snowblower.  My city does a good job plowing.  We are retired also.

Just now, Tom47 said:

I have a snowblower.  My city does a good job plowing.  We are retired also.

We had a setup that really precluded a snow blower.  We're in our early 70s and just go too exhausted by it.

43 minutes ago, clo said:

The cruise we did to Antarctica we didn't have any snow on the decks just a few fluffy bits. The cruise following us the passengers were making snow men on the deck around the pool. A lot of the Americans were saying it was warmer at Antarctica than where they lived

2 minutes ago, Thecat123 said:

A lot of the Americans were saying it was warmer at Antarctica than where they lived

Totes 🙂  We had some travel mates from upstate NY who were laughing at their friends who couldn't believe they were in Antarctica.

5 hours ago, clo said:

So if you can see/look at it then it's cold.  I don't know about Sweden but here in the Western US, there are mountains that have snow on them year round.  When the temp 'down below' may be 100F/37C.  That has to add another restriction to your travel 🙂

How is it possible that you still don't get it? During the winter we travel to getaway from the snow, cold and darkness. We travel to go to beaches.

Since we normaly have five weeks off work, we need to have priorities. If we would spend one week in Antarctica, there's one week less that we can spend in a place we would rather go. 

Some day I would like to go to Iceland, but not until I have unlimited time off work. 

5 hours ago, clo said:

I can't imagine eliminating Antarctica because there was snow!

That seem to be the problem, you can't imagine that people have a different view of life then you have.