Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Deep68

What to do on my own

Recommended Posts

My husband will be Scuba Diving in Tortola and I am looking for something I could do on my own. I have been to the baths twice so looking for other options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Some options -

 

Island tour, shared or private, with or without a beach stop.

 

Relax at beautiful Brewers Bay, Cane Garden Bay where many of your fellow cruisemates will be, or Long Bay, Beef Island which has been developed for day visitors.

 

Visit the Botanic Garden in Road Town.

 

Take the Rebel Yell to Jost Van Dyke and visit Foxy Callwood in Great Harbor then relax in White Bay and enjoy a Painkiller or two at the  Soggy Dollar Bar, or  Seddy’s Bushwacker at his One Love Bar.

 

Taxi to Marina Cay for lunch and then shop Aragorn’s pottery studio in Trellis Bay.

 

Are you interested in a daysail, a popular beach or a more secluded beach, snorkeling, or anything else?

 

 

 

 

Edited by blue_water

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2019 at 6:16 AM, blue_water said:

Some options -

 

Island tour, shared or private, with or without a beach stop.

 

Relax at beautiful Brewers Bay, Cane Garden Bay where many of your fellow cruisemates will be, or Long Bay, Beef Island which has been developed for day visitors.

 

Visit the Botanic Garden in Road Town.

 

Take the Rebel Yell to Jost Van Dyke and visit Foxy Callwood in Great Harbor then relax in White Bay and enjoy a Painkiller or two at the  Soggy Dollar Bar, or  Seddy’s Bushwacker at his One Love Bar.

 

Taxi to Marina Cay for lunch and then shop Aragorn’s pottery studio in Trellis Bay.

 

Are you interested in a daysail, a popular beach or a more secluded beach, snorkeling, or anything else?

 

 

 

 

Thanks for the suggestions. Pretty open to what I do. Do not like large tours with the cruise ship and being hurded off and on coaches. Small or private tours are fine. Not one to just sit in sun all day either need shade or something active with walking or hiking. Love the water though

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Tour to Jost Van Dyke to White Bay Beach.

 

Great place to visit, nice people to chat with wading in the water

Thanks for the suggestion this may be a good option

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

White Bay is a fun spot to drink and people watch, but doesn’t fit what you are looking for...

 

But if interested in just a beach day you do actually need to book through the cruise ship before that excursion fills up (aka the Rebel Yell). And you are in WB a short time...

 

An alternative is going on your own, a bit more adventurous. Taxi 25 minutes to West End, ferry to Great Harbor, and taxi (or walk over the hill!) to White Bay. Cost for 1 person  is ~$114 + drinks! But you are not with a larger group...

 

In the end it is just a beach day, albeit a nice beach!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading your reply again (love the water though), you may enjoy spending time just limin’ in White Bay via Rebel Yell. There are usually two departures so if this excursion through your ship is still available you can go early or later then walk around the port area when you return...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2019 at 8:16 AM, blue_water said:

Some options -

 

Island tour, shared or private, with or without a beach stop.

 

Relax at beautiful Brewers Bay, Cane Garden Bay where many of your fellow cruisemates will be, or Long Bay, Beef Island which has been developed for day visitors.

 

Visit the Botanic Garden in Road Town.

 

Take the Rebel Yell to Jost Van Dyke and visit Foxy Callwood in Great Harbor then relax in White Bay and enjoy a Painkiller or two at the  Soggy Dollar Bar, or  Seddy’s Bushwacker at his One Love Bar.

 

Taxi to Marina Cay for lunch and then shop Aragorn’s pottery studio in Trellis Bay.

 

Are you interested in a daysail, a popular beach or a more secluded beach, snorkeling, or anything else?

 

 

 

 

Is it possible to walk to the Botanic garden from the cruise ship dock and if yes how long of a walk? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peachypooh said:

Is it possible to walk to the Botanic garden from the cruise ship dock and if yes how long of a walk? Thanks.

Yes it’s about a 20 minute, 1 mile walk from the cruise pier to the J.R. O’neal Botanical Garden...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2019 at 8:23 PM, blue_water said:

White Bay is a fun spot to drink and people watch, but doesn’t fit what you are looking for...

 

But if interested in just a beach day you do actually need to book through the cruise ship before that excursion fills up (aka the Rebel Yell). And you are in WB a short time...

 

An alternative is going on your own, a bit more adventurous. Taxi 25 minutes to West End, ferry to Great Harbor, and taxi (or walk over the hill!) to White Bay. Cost for 1 person  is ~$114 + drinks! But you are not with a larger group...

 

In the end it is just a beach day, albeit a nice beach!

 

 

 

What is white bay is it a beach/bar or a resort 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mikrich12 said:

What is white bay is it a beach/bar or a resort 

White Bay is just a nice beach on the island of Jost Van Dyke with beach bars (Soggy $, Ivan's, and Seddie's One Love are a few) and a small hotel on the beach. If you taxi and ferry over got Jost you dock in Great Harbor where Foxy's Taboo is, if you take the Rebel Yell cat you land in White Bay. Jost Van Dyke is further from the cruise dock than other destinations like the Baths on Virgin Gorda, or beaches on Tortola so is less easy to get to.  

 

Cane Garden Bay is a larger bay on Tortola that is home to several beach bars, and there are less-visited beaches as well, just depends on what you are looking for.... 

 

 

Edited by blue_water

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...