Covermore refuse to pay $40,000

Go to a few bars (so total isn't so visible), still look fairly okay on the outside, even grab a bucket of beers esp from someone you're with. Lots of things that make it possible - and it's not been said anywhere that he should have been refused service. Just he was trying to blame others, when he contributed to the outcome.

3 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Go to a few bars (so total isn't so visible), still look fairly okay on the outside, even grab a bucket of beers esp from someone you're with. Lots of things that make it possible - and it's not been said anywhere that he should have been refused service. Just he was trying to blame others, when he contributed to the outcome.

Correct, he was the one that drank the booze, no one forced it down his gizzard.   He probably thought..'I paid for the booze in my ticket, I will get my monies worth.'      That is why I am not mad keen to get on a river boat, you pay for someone else's booze if you are non imbiber or light imbiber. True? 

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Correct, he was the one that drank the booze, no one forced it down his gizzard.   He probably thought..'I paid for the booze in my ticket, I will get my monies worth.'      That is why I am not mad keen to get on a river boat, you pay for someone else's booze if you are non imbiber or light imbiber. True? 

True of any all inclusive deal.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

.19% would be approximately a dozen full strength stubbies for a man.  A fair drink in anyone's language.🍺

NSW Blood Alcohol Legislation...High Range PCA is .19%.

Yep, a lot of alcohol or at least a fair few and mixing with medication.

10 hours ago, NSWP said:

Though there are some river cruises which either only include at certain times, or don't include at all. Pricing is a lot lower as a result.

We just priced an all inclusive circumnavigation, it wasn’t bad if we would have done at least one shore tour each stop and bought drinks packages, and two or three specialty restaurants each week (indeed probably cost less than Princess or Royal Caribbean,)but for us it was too expensive.

I don't know how accurate this information is but I was once told that if you are tested for BAC they will use it as an excuse to void a claim. So even if you are not showing signs of inebriation if your limit is above whatever limit the insurance company has in their protocols they will say you broke the conditions of contract.

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

I don't know how accurate this information is but I was once told that if you are tested for BAC they will use it as an excuse to void a claim. So even if you are not showing signs of inebriation if your limit is above whatever limit the insurance company has in their protocols they will say you broke the conditions of contract.

That is likely the case, they do not want to pay out if they can avoid it.

On 7/4/2019 at 5:42 PM, MicCanberra said:

Drink in moderation and take care of yourselves when travelling or at home.

Yet another example of sound advice from a sage gentleman.  😉

48 minutes ago, vozzie said:

I have information that the blood alcohol reading quoted is very much exaggerated. I understand that it was actually below 0.05.

While your information may indeed be accurate, this is not what was presented on a current affairs show I saw on the matter.  By his own admission, the bloke had a significant amount under his belt, having been drinking over a long period.   I'm pretty sure he was mixing his drinks too, wine / spirits / beer.   I can't now remember what was reported but, my husband is a very big man (>125 kg) and not shy of the odd drop, I can assure you.  He said watching the telly that if he'd drunk that much in a day, he may not be falling down pissed but he'd certainly be feeling the effects.

Having said all that, if the matter truly has been misrepresented (as if a television program would do that!), shame on them.  

I have been looking at the T&Cs of our insurance and there is no actual blood alcohol limit for intoxication. It is simply stated that if the accident or incident happened due to intoxication, the claim will be void. Other insurance companies state that they will not cover the event even if it wasn't caused by being intoxicated but the claimant was intoxicated at the time. (i.e, you get hit by a car on the sidewalk and end up not being covered because you had been drinking).

The issue, as mentioned above, is that people tolerate alcohol differently. Without getting into a whole set of measurements on e.g. BMI as well, putting a threshold would either pull many people in who are fairly okay, or exclude many who are feeling the effects.

Thus, they use discretion and investigation - but yet to hear of anyone being unfairly treated.

We did two BtB river cruises a couple of years ago and we noticed that the drinks were flowing freely especially when they had us sitting down to dinner at 7pm and not serving the meal until 7.45-8pm.  Many cruisers were having glass after glass of wine.  The stairs on those river boats are quite steep and if you are not at all quite so nimble, then you need to really hold on to the bannister.  We had someone trip and hurt themselves whilst on board. Am not sure what the outcome was but after our experience on those two boats, we would never return to a river boat. Give me a cruise ship every time.

Jennie

• Like 1