Denver to New York Airport and Hotel help

jiminyC_fan

Hi everyone,   I need some hand holding.  I've never paid any attention to the New York sailings and now I am surprising my daughter and joining them on a Merrytime cruise.  I just feel lost and don't know which way to turn.  What airport does everyone fly into in New York City?  What hotels are recommended when cruising?   I know Disney uses Marriott Marquis and I checked the price and it is 450.00 per night.  Any hotels that have shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and then to the port?  We will then fly out of Puerto Rico and I am guessing we clear customs at the port and no need to at an airport, correct? 

I truly appreciate any help and suggestions. 

Any of the airports will work. Just depends on which has the most convenient flights. As for hotels you can go to any of the hotel booking sites to find hotels. Or ask your travel agent for recommendations.  I’m guessing the only hotels with shuttles to and from airport are those right at airport. I can’t believe any would offer shuttle to port unless you stay at the precruise disney hotel. Then they would offer a transfer. 

The price will depend on what day of week, location, amenities etc.  my husband are going to nyc in October and wanted to stay in theater district. We are staying at the Premier hotel  with continental breakfast for about 325 a night. I thought that was pretty decent price. And we are flying in and out of LaGuardia. We will take a taxi to hotel. 

In PR you clear customs at pier to get your luggage. But there is still passport control at PR airport. And if you are flying from PR to the states you probably need to clear customs at your home airport. 

2 hours ago, Cedricandsophie said:

In PR you clear customs at pier to get your luggage. But there is still passport control at PR airport. And if you are flying from PR to the states you probably need to clear customs at your home airport. 

Why?????   PR is part of the USA, flying from San Juan to Denver is a domestic flight, no different than flying from San Antonio to Denver.  

1 hour ago, ed01106 said:

Why?????   PR is part of the USA, flying from San Juan to Denver is a domestic flight, no different than flying from San Antonio to Denver.  

That's what I was thinking.  It is part of the US so I guessed it's one and done. 

Thank you Cedricandsophie for your input.

Edited by jiminyC_fan

25 minutes ago, jiminyC_fan said:

That's what I was thinking.  It is part of the US so I guessed it's one and done. 

Thank you Cedricandsophie for your input.

A lot of people don’t realize that PR is part of the US.  (Including the POTUS)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ed01106 said:

Puerto Rico may be part of the US, but the cruise will be going to the Caribbean and Castaway Cay. Both places are not part of the US. You will go through customs in PR after you dock, and then when you fly to Denver it will be a domestic flight.

Back to OP original question.  New York doesn't operate like rest of US.  Traveling to/from hotels and port is normally done by booking a town car through an agency.  Cabs may or may not run from airports to hotels since they need a medallion in each area to operate there (they may be able to take you to another area but can't pick up another fare there).  Most hotels don't have airport shuttles except a few that are close to airports.  If you book hotel through cruise line rate is often per person rather than per room, but usually includes transfers.  If you stay in Manhattan you can cab to the port but will need other arrangements to get to the hotel.  Allow lots of time to get anywhere.  

In contrast, San Juan is easy.  Get off ship, breeze through immigration, and pick up a cab from the cab stand.  Dispatcher writes a ticket for the driver and loads you into an appropriate type vehicle.  At airport put luggage through agricultural xrays and then check in.  Only real glitch is airlines won't let you check bags until 4 hours before flight.

• Like 1

Cedric and sophie had it right....you can fly into any of the airports.  It really depends on which has to most convenient flights from your point of origin.  We specifically chose a hotel near the airport that DID offer a shuttle to the hotel.  You can easily filter for these on line.  I think we paid about $200 for the night, but not sure.  I do know it was not as high as others are quoting here, but it was nothing fancy--all we needed was a place to sleep and have breakfast in the morning.  The next day we got a "super shuttle."  I'd used the company before, but honestly our NY experience was the worst I've ever had with them.  I would not recommend them.  Don't know if Uber is a possibility.

DCL will not be offering shuttles from hotels unless you book the hotel package thru them.  Do call DCL to find that cost when booked thru them--it is often different than booking directly thru the hotel.

Edited by cantgetin

Uber and Lyft are possibilities to get around. Cabs at airports have a set rate to go from any airport to Manhattan. I am not sure what the fares are. Personally, I wouldn’t go through La Guardia, they are renovating the airport and traffic is horrible. 

• Like 2

Great advice.  Thanks everyone.  We are platinum so we aren't cruise newbies but have never been to New York and as far as I am concerned it is it's own little country, LOL.  Huge and daunting.

DCL has a 2 day pre stay at the Marriott Marquis with transfers for 1066.00.  Airfare is outrageous so was trying to save $$ somewhere.

I am assuming that if I have DCL transfers that they will work similarly in Puerto Rico like in Port Canaveral.   Great to know about the airlines not allowing you to check luggage prior to 4 hours out.  That happened to us years ago in Orlando with Frontier Airlines.  What a pain.

jiminyC-fan- 

Native of NYC here.

I would fly into either EWR ( Newark NJ) or JFK (Queens,NY) as another poster has written that LaGuardia can be a mess. Both airports are miles from NYC. No City hotels offer shuttles from either airport.

Cabs are available at the airports and have a set rate into Manhattan.

Ordering a car service is another option.

Two companies that have been suggested on CC are Carmel Limo or Dial7.

If you plan to do any sight seeing in NYC,then you should book a hotel in the City,preferably in the mid-town area which has the theater district,museums and many popular sites in the vicinity.

Disney is offering the Marriott Marquis. That hotel is located in the busy TimesSquare area and seems to cater to conventions and tour groups. It would not be a hotel that I would choose. It is very large,busy and in a congested area. While the inside is nice, I have been to meetings and events there, I think it may be a bit hectic for someone not familiar with the area.

Look at hotel brands such as Hilton ,Marriott and Holiday Inn.All those brands have many hotels in the City.

NYC hotels will be pricy, especially before Thanksgiving until New Years. I assume the Merrytime cruise is sometime during this holiday time.

If you do not wish to do any sightseeing in NYC,staying at a hotel near the airport would be an option. Airport location hotels usually do offer shuttle service from the airport to the hotels.

If you choose to do this,you could arrange for transportation to the pier at the front desk or through the conceierge at the hotel. 

NYC may seem daunting,but it is an easy city to get around as it is laid out on a grid.

It is composed of various neighborhoods.

Native New Yorkers can be kind and helpful,although those rushing along the street may be headed to business appointments and may seem unapproachable.

NYPD officers are always available to help with questions about directions or addresses.

I hope you enjoy your stay in NYC. I think it is a great place,but I may be biased !

The sailaway from the City is wonderful. 

Bon voyage !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MJSailors said:

jiminyC-fan- 

Native of NYC here.

I would fly into either EWR ( Newark NJ) or JFK (Queens,NY) as another poster has written that LaGuardia can be a mess. Both airports are miles from NYC. No City hotels offer shuttles from either airport.

Cabs are available at the airports and have a set rate into Manhattan.

Ordering a car service is another option.

Two companies that have been suggested on CC are Carmel Limo or Dial7.

If you plan to do any sight seeing in NYC,then you should book a hotel in the City,preferably in the mid-town area which has the theater district,museums and many popular sites in the vicinity.

Disney is offering the Marriott Marquis. That hotel is located in the busy TimesSquare area and seems to cater to conventions and tour groups. It would not be a hotel that I would choose. It is very large,busy and in a congested area. While the inside is nice, I have been to meetings and events there, I think it may be a bit hectic for someone not familiar with the area.

Look at hotel brands such as Hilton ,Marriott and Holiday Inn.All those brands have many hotels in the City.

NYC hotels will be pricy, especially before Thanksgiving until New Years. I assume the Merrytime cruise is sometime during this holiday time.

If you do not wish to do any sightseeing in NYC,staying at a hotel near the airport would be an option. Airport location hotels usually do offer shuttle service from the airport to the hotels.

If you choose to do this,you could arrange for transportation to the pier at the front desk or through the conceierge at the hotel. 

NYC may seem daunting,but it is an easy city to get around as it is laid out on a grid.

It is composed of various neighborhoods.

Native New Yorkers can be kind and helpful,although those rushing along the street may be headed to business appointments and may seem unapproachable.

NYPD officers are always available to help with questions about directions or addresses.

I hope you enjoy your stay in NYC. I think it is a great place,but I may be biased !

The sailaway from the City is wonderful. 

Bon voyage !

As another native New Yorker, who works in the city, I concur with this detailed and excellent advice. I want to add to the suggestion about avoiding LaGuardia. I never liked to fly out of there, since it was an airport built for 1930s equipment with no room to expand the runways, since it sits on the East River. But I had to fly out of there two weeks ago.  The construction is as bad as everybody says. I had to drive around the airport twice to find the entrance to the parking garage. It's that confusing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad to help !

I hope you enjoy your stay in NYC.

It definitely has a lot to offer visitors ! A good guide book would be helpful.

Although I recommend staying at a brand hotel, I recommend the opposite when choosing a restaurant.

Please try pizza at a neighborhood pizza place, not a chain restaurant.

If you are in the City from the beginning of December to the first days of January, I might suggest lunch,dinner or weekend brunch at the Rock Center Cafe.

It is at the base of the Rockefeller skating rink. There are tables near large windows where you can watch people skating on the ice and have an up-close view of the huge Christmas tree  that is lit every Christmas season. It may seem like a tourist place,but City residents also enjoy this restaurant. I would advise you to make reservations though as it is a popular place. One evening as my DH and I were having dinner,the rink was cleared for cleaning ,then a couple came out on the ice a bit ahead of other skaters. The young fellow dropped to one knee and proposed ! Luckily the girl said yes ! The entire restaurant burst into applause. According to our waiter that night, proposals happen frequently there.

You could also visit the Holiday markets at Bryant Park- behind the 42nd Street NY Library. These are outdoor markets similar to those in Germany and Austria.

There is an indoor holiday fair set up in Grand Central Station as well.

I could keep writing, but you will find what appeals to you in your research.

A word of advice though to a first time visitor- walk with confidence and purpose. Map out where you are going before you begin to set out to your destination, keep your purse or belongings close to you and try to be aware of your surroundings.

While I love my hometown, I can recognize that it is a city like so many others and some people can take advantage of visitors trying to enjoy the sites.

Wishing you good travels !

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

No,that is not me!

Whenever I see a question about NYC  on CC,I have to offer my 2cents and try to give advice that will help others enjoy the City.

Well I see it more than 2 cents.  More like a silver dollar.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MJSailors said:

No,that is not me!

Whenever I see a question about NYC  on CC,I have to offer my 2cents and try to give advice that will help others enjoy the City.

MJSailors, just curious because of the initials 'MJ'. Do I know you by another name on DISboards?

1 minute ago, jiminyC_fan said:

You are thinking the same as me and MJ is from New York.

I believe that MJ is from Long Island, as I am from. New Yorkers are not just from NYC, I am from the Metro area but was born in Manhattan.

48 minutes ago, Elka said:

I believe that MJ is from Long Island, as I am from. New Yorkers are not just from NYC, I am from the Metro area but was born in Manhattan.

Ok,.   I am from the suburbs of Denver but when someone asks I just say Denver.  It's easier.

7 minutes ago, jiminyC_fan said:

Ok,.   I am from the suburbs of Denver but when someone asks I just say Denver.  It's easier.

I know! When I travel I say I am from New York, just outside of New York City. When I take Uber from where I live, they take a route that bypasses the roads that pass La Guardia airport. Just an FYI. Hope you enjoy NYC when you come!