May I bring a travel kcup coffee maker?

CarolSW

I have searched and can’t find the answer.....

....may I bring a small travel kcup coffee maker to use in my cabin?

I tried bringing my own tower fan once and that got taken until the end of that cruise.

Now I carryon small desk fans with no problem.

I would like for my dh to be able to enjoy his beloved hazelnut kcups, especially since the regular coffee offered is notoriously underwhelming.

I know we can buy better coffee at the coffee shop, just wanted to know if we might be able to bring a small travel coffee maker with us for the stateroom.

Would it be considered a fire hazard?

Thanks for being kind to answer if you know.....

I believe it would be considered a fire hazard, and confiscated until the end of the cruise.  

Edit:  Just looked it up on Carnival’s website, and coffee maker is one of the items listed under prohibited items.

Edited by DanvilleCruiser
Clarification
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think there is any mass cruise line that allows this. Some suites have coffee makers, but not on Carnival. A quick look through the FAQ’s will list prohibited items.

If he really wants Hazelnut coffee, there are flavored instant brands. Just order a carafe of hot water in the morning from room service (put the hanger out the night before with time for delivery). 

• Thanks 1

Definitely can't bring your own coffee maker. I would consider a french press...they have some pretty compact ones, and you can order some hot water in the AM to your room. Unfortunately, due to fire hazards, no way to bring on anything with a heating element that will make your own hot water.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, silvercrikhix said:

Bring a French press and make yourself some great coffee. 

This would actually be a great idea if you absolutely can't stomach the ship coffee and don't want to buy specialty coffee.  French press makes some good coffee.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, silvercrikhix said:

Bring a French press and make yourself some great coffee. 

As much as French Presses and Chemix pots make excellent cups of coffee, they are somewhat inconvenient for ship use.  Cruisers have used them and there are travel/camping FPs around.  But your water isn't going to as hot, unless you take it to the Lido and pour out of the urns.  Your cleanup can be a niughtmare--where to dump the grounds?; where to clean out the pot?

Kcups aren't that good of coffee to begin with, albeit some premium roasters are getting better.  They are for convenience.  1 minute to brew versus 4-7.  Flavored instant is a reasonable substitute assuming the OP's DH can find one that suits his tastes.  Flavored specialty coffees on Carnival are derived via liquid flavoring after regular coffee is poured.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know you said you already searched everywhere, but here is a link to the Carnival FAQs page listing "What Items am I NOT Allowed To Bring" (emphasis mine)

https://www.carnival.com/help

About halfway down you'll find:
Electrical and household appliances containing any kind of heating element, such as irons, clothes steamers, immersion heaters, heating blankets, water heaters, coffee machines, hot plates, toasters, heating pads, humidifier, etc. (All Carnival ships provide facilities with ironing boards and irons; fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.

So the answer is no, you cannot bring a travel kcup maker since it contains a heating element and is a "coffee machine".
However since you mentioned the specialty coffee, if you are purchasing the CHEERS! package, it does include the specialty coffees in addition to alcohol.

• Thanks 1

Because this doesn't plug in, it might be okay. The one I had in the past was kind of bulky and cumbersome. There are several brands available that accept kcups.

Gourmia GKCP135 Manual Coffee Brewer - Single Serve Manual Hand French Press Coffee Maker

• Thanks 1

If you want to take a coffee maker that is definitely permitted, simple, and very compact, you could take a Vietnamese coffee press.  I'm not a coffee drinker (tea addict, here), but I use these to make cà phê sữa đá (Vietnamese iced coffee) for my family quite often.  They are super-cheap - can be picked up at just about any Asian market for less than $5 each (or online for about the same price), and are very simple to use.  But they use a very slow drip process.  So, if you're in a hurry for your morning coffee, this is not the way to go.  If you want to make cà phê sữa đá, you'd have to also bring a can of sweetened condensed milk.  But these little coffee presses can be used for any type of grounds, so they might be an option to consider.

image.png.6e46730fcb90275f1aeb9312eb68802a.png

image.png.5b6dab4493683ff870aab88bff3a51f2.png

• Thanks 1

You may want to try Starbucks Via packets. I consider them a step up from regular instant. Very lightweight .  All you need is hot water. Also maybe a small container of hazelnut flavoring to add to it.

Mary Ann

• Thanks 1

The short answer is no.  

The long answer is noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Coffee on carnival may not be gourmet blend but I have always found it drinkable.  Room service coffee has always been acceptable.  Probably the best coffee on the ship.  Usually comes faster than could make some.

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2019 at 9:52 AM, crewsweeper said:

As much as French Presses and Chemix pots make excellent cups of coffee, they are somewhat inconvenient for ship use.  Cruisers have used them and there are travel/camping FPs around.  But your water isn't going to as hot, unless you take it to the Lido and pour out of the urns.  Your cleanup can be a niughtmare--where to dump the grounds?; where to clean out the pot?

I bring my 34 oz french press on every cruise - with a little planing, it is not much different than when I use it at home

On the first night, I usually grab a tea pot from the dinning room.  I then use the hot water spigot in the lido to fill the french press 3/4 of the way and top it off with water poured from the tea pot.  Once brewed, I transfer the coffee to a Contigo thermos and drink at my leisure

Clean-up is a bit of a challenge - I scoop the used grounds into a bowl in the lido.  I then wash-out the press in my cabin bathroom using dish soap, sponge and dish towel that I bring from home

An easy alternative is a Melitta pour over - they are single serve and can be found at most grocery stores

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2019 at 1:13 PM, CarolSW said:

....may I bring a small travel kcup coffee maker to use in my cabin?

You can drag one along if you want to and you will be able to pick it up at the naughty room when you disembark.  All luggage will go thru scanners and anything with a cord will be considered a "heat" producing appliance which are verboten.   They will open your luggage and remove the item/s.   There will be a documented note signed by staff that will verify they removed certain items.  Fire is the most dreaded danger on a cruise ship.  An overloaded electrical circuit aboard could spell disaster for everyone.  

• Thanks 1

THANKS SO MUCH for the discussion on my question.

i appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

I decided to try one of these I saw on Amazon.

It seems like a low tech French press.

We will see if it works on our cruise in 2 weeks.  It has not been delivered yet.

E1FF01A0-3786-495A-9572-4F306D571F17.jpeg

Several have suggested using a French press... if you try it, make sure you get the water from the Lido deck- don't count on room service to bring anything hot enough that would work half-decently. I got a carafe of hot (sort of) water and a tea bag once for tea and it took about 10 minutes of steeping to even turn the color of the water, never mind become actual tea! I ended up dumping it and getting hot water at the beverage stations on Lido.

• Thanks 1

Also, I used the argument that if we got the drink package, dh could get his fill of specialty coffees, and that convinced him to let me order Cheers!  We have had it before once, but I was yearning for it for this next cruise and he was hesitating,  The coffee crisis was the deciding factor LOL !

Edited by CarolSW
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, CarolSW said:

We will see if it works on our cruise in 2 weeks.  It has not been delivered yet.

It looks interesting! Make sure you come back and let us know how it works! Also see my previous note about the hot water... 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Shaded Lady said:

make sure you get the water from the Lido deck- don't count on room service to bring anything hot enough that would work half-decently.

As long as you are on the Lido....would you bring me back  a cup of their black coffee....LOL    

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, CarolSW said:

I would highly recommend you try it out at home before you leave.  That way you aren't dragging something along that turns out to be not what you want/need.  Also, it allows you the time to experiment with coffee types and strengths - you find that a dark roast, while preferred at home, is not what works best in that device, and a lighter roast tastes better (or vice versa).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1