Carnival Wide new standard is acoming now

AAAAmerican

A new sipping standard is acoming now to Carnival fleet wide.

Sugar Straws.

They are geting rid of the plastic straws and coming now the sugar straws which do disolve in about 45 minutes once in the beverage.

I do not know if they may have sugarlessones.

The Butter is a a fiasco aboard the ships now. As so may are poutting the flatware in the cButter Crocks with jams etc.. on them which contaminates all the Crock full of Butter..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The elimination of plastic straws (replaced with sugar straws), along with other items being eliminated, was announced about a month ago.

Putting butter into community containers to be used by that many people is absolutely disgusting. Someone scoops out butter with their silverware...how do we know where that silverware has been? I can't believe they think that's sanitary. There are alternatives to single-serve butter packets other than the small plastic containers.

• Like 7

I’ll be wishing that they are not taking this too far. 

‘Sharing peanut buttter, margarine, etc...

I’ll be jumping to another line if it does. Enough is enough.

Its still a vacation and we splurge on vacation not skimp. 

Maybe their business model will no longer suit us. 

‘Time will tell I guess. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Putting butter into community containers to be used by that many people is absolutely disgusting

I have eaten at many fine dining establishments that serve herb and various flavored butters in open bowls. I find nothing disgusting about it, not like they reuse it.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, AAAAmerican said:

The Butter is a fiasco aboard the ships now. As so may are putting the flatware in the Butter Crocks with jams etc.. on them which contaminates all the Crock full of Butter..

I was just on the Vista and they had this new method of serving butter (buffet only, I'm not sure if that was clear to everyone but I wondered how they'd handle butter in the MDR- same way as before, small dishes with 2-3 tsps. in each). Just FYI we all found that the process worked very well- not once in 8 days did we see anyone mixing the butter with any other food, and people very clearly understood- take a knife, get some butter, put it on your plate, put the knife in the used utensil repository or keep it on your plate, which is what I usually did, to spread the butter on my bun...

In my opinion, this whole Buttergate was a lot of drama for nothing... am I saying that it doesn't get messed up occasionally? No, but I did see Carnival buffet staff overseeing it regularly and replacing all 3 of the crocks- clean & dirty knives, butter- as needed. Heck- I just wish they could make the stupid salt shakers work on the tables in the Lido buffet- the humidity clogs them up something awful!

• Like 18

34 minutes ago, coevan said:

I have eaten at many fine dining establishments that serve herb and various flavored butters in open bowls. I find nothing disgusting about it, not like they reuse it.

I agree! Like I said, I've experienced it at other restaurants and at Carnival- not a big deal to get so worked up over!

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

In my opinion, this whole Buttergate was a lot of drama for nothing... am I saying that it doesn't get messed up occasionally? No, but I did see Carnival buffet staff overseeing it regularly and replacing all 3 of the crocks- clean & dirty knives, butter- as needed. Heck- I just wish they could make the stupid salt shakers work on the tables in the Lido buffet- the humidity clogs them up something awful!

Buttergate.🤣 That's good.  Haven't heard that before so giving you credit for it.  Nice one.:classic_biggrin:

Yeah, Carnival needs to put a little rice in each of the salt shakers like we do here on the humid Eastern Shore.  That would solve the problem.  And it is super cheap!  Of course, in order to maintain efficacy the rice needs to be changed out for fresh rice every few months on land, so probably every few weeks at sea...  so not likely to be implemented.

• Like 1

Just to clarify the buttergate issue, I think we're mixing two issues.

I have no problem with the way the spread for bread is being served.  I have a problem with what is being served and referred to as butter.

Up until my spring cruise this year, I requested and received butter pats in the MDR.  The individually wrapped small packs contained butter, while the container on each table contained some other spread.

This spring I was told by our waiter that butter was no longer available.  The mystery spread was the only option.

It's not an option, regardless of how it is served.

The Chef's Table, as always, included a tour of the galley and a demonstration of making the chocolate melting cake.  We saw huge packs of butter.

Butter is on the ship.  Until they offer it once again, regardless of how it is presented, in the MDR, I'll take my own.

• Like 1

Full disclosure:  I'm taking my own individually-packaged butter pats as well as my own individually-wrapped plastic drinking straws (not to mention my own drink umbrellas - Crap!, I just mentioned them, didn't I?).  I find the term Buttergate amusing, but I suppose I am part of it.:classic_blush:

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

Butter is on the ship.  Until they offer it once again, regardless of how it is presented, in the MDR, I'll take my own.

How do you plan to bring butter and keep it? Just curious. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaded Lady said:

I was just on the Vista and they had this new method of serving butter (buffet only, I'm not sure if that was clear to everyone but I wondered how they'd handle butter in the MDR- same way as before, small dishes with 2-3 tsps. in each). Just FYI we all found that the process worked very well- not once in 8 days did we see anyone mixing the butter with any other food, and people very clearly understood- take a knife, get some butter, put it on your plate, put the knife in the used utensil repository or keep it on your plate, which is what I usually did, to spread the butter on my bun...

Butter gate, I love it

28 minutes ago, 2PinaColadas said:

I will be taking my stainless steel straws with me.  I agree with replacing plastics, but what is the point of a sugar straw that will quickly dissolve?

There was a special on TV last week regarding aluminum straws and people being injured as accidentally puncture the roof of their mouths......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coevan said:

There's a big difference between a fine dining establishment and a cruise ship buffet. I'm sure those fine dining establishments don't serve nearly as many people in a single meal as the cruise ship buffet. And I'm willing to bet that the fine dining establishment is a cleaner environment than the cruise ship buffet. It doesn't matter if it's reused or not. One person could easily put a utensil in their mouth, then at some point use that same utensil to scoop butter. If one person does that, it's one too many, and I don't think it's that far fetched to think it would happen. Not to mention, as someone else noted, the cross contamination between other food and that butter. Your fine dining establishments aren't going to let things like that happen.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

There was a special on TV last week regarding aluminum straws and people being injured as accidentally puncture the roof of their mouths......

That actually sounds like something I would do, :)  But I like having a straw and an insulated tumbler, especially on a Fun Days at Seas. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joepeka said:

Wasn't this topic on the elimination of plastic straws, plastic drink ware, butter pats, etc. covered in depth weeks ago? I'm not really sure why this has come up again.  

Probably because they are now implementing it.  We all know how everyone embraces change so well.....😎

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, 2PinaColadas said:

That actually sounds like something I would do, 🙂 But I like having a straw and an insulated tumbler, especially on a Fun Days at Seas. 

I understand the want....just saying what their logic is.....

2 minutes ago, joepeka said:

Wasn't this topic on the elimination of plastic straws, plastic drink ware, butter pats, etc. covered in depth weeks ago? I'm not really sure why this has come up again.  

Come on, man.  Don't you know where you are?  This is CruiseCritic.  What doesn't keep coming up again around here?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2