Best restaurants for Gala night on the Volendam

mcgahrec

Hi Everyone,

Not long now until our Alaska cruise on the Volendam on the 24th July. We are first time cruisers and in a NS. We went with open dining too for flexibility.

There will be two Gala nights. Does the pinnacle grill also participate in the Gala nights or is it a separate menu always ? We have a meal in the Pinnacle included and I am wondering if its worth using it on one of the Gala nights or saving it for a different evening.

Second question is about room service served course by course on your balcony. How early in advance does this need to be planned ? We were thinking of using room service on the days we are late in port so that we can hop back on the ship for a quick dinner and then head off again to explore Juneau and Skagway - maybe check out a local bar. 

Cheers☺️

2 hours ago, mcgahrec said:

Hi Everyone,

Not long now until our Alaska cruise on the Volendam on the 24th July. We are first time cruisers and in a NS. We went with open dining too for flexibility.

There will be two Gala nights. Does the pinnacle grill also participate in the Gala nights or is it a separate menu always ? We have a meal in the Pinnacle included and I am wondering if its worth using it on one of the Gala nights or saving it for a different evening.

Second question is about room service served course by course on your balcony. How early in advance does this need to be planned ? We were thinking of using room service on the days we are late in port so that we can hop back on the ship for a quick dinner and then head off again to explore Juneau and Skagway - maybe check out a local bar. 

Cheers☺️

I'm not sure you can get course by course service.  We were told it wasn't possible.  We've had room service several times on the balcony of a NS.  I think most room service has to be order during the first hour the MDR is open.  Not sure because we always asked the concierge to make the arrangements.  They have the daily menus and you can set up a delivery time.  You can do that anytime earlier in the day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcgahrec said:

Hi Everyone,

Cheers☺️

You can request your course-by-course meal in your stateroom/balcony the same day through the Concierge, the earlier in the day the better.  Since a Room Service waiter will be dedicated to you for more than one hour, a reasonable tip would be a nice gesture.

The Lido Market will be serving later on late port evenings and you can still go to the Main Dining Room quite with no waiting on those same evenings.

If you opt for Room Service, here is the menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Room-Service-and-Breakfast-Card.pdf

Your Juneau and Skagway evenings will be the easiest PG reservations since most of the ship's passengers will be away.  I enjoy eating the PG big platter of Alaskan King Crab on my last cruise evening.  Note that you are limited to one entree but you may have multiples of both appetizers and desserts.  Here is the PG menu (click on the menu to enlarge):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-specialty-restaurant-menus/pg-dinner-menu

Enjoy your cruise planning.

You are wise to plan ahead.  Keep asking questions.

Since the Main Dining Room serves a special menu on Gala evenings, I would eat the Pinnacle Grill dinners on other evenings.

You have a wonderful cruise to enjoy.

Barbara

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcummin said:

You are wise to plan ahead.  Keep asking questions.

Since the Main Dining Room serves a special menu on Gala evenings, I would eat the Pinnacle Grill dinners on other evenings.

You have a wonderful cruise to enjoy.

Barbara

Thanks Barbara, so the speciality restaurants don't get involved in the Gala night and remain separate.

These forums have been such a great source of info. You don't realise the half of what you could be missing out on! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

Your Juneau and Skagway evenings will be the easiest PG reservations since most of the ship's passengers will be away.  I enjoy eating the PG big platter of Alaskan King Crab on my last cruise evening.  Note that you are limited to one entree but you may have multiples of both appetizers and desserts.  Here is the PG menu (click on the menu to enlarge):

Thanks for the information.

I was hoping to try it the other nights so as not to be rushed on port days but I guess we will have to see. Hopefully we can get a booking in the PG when we want it. 

And hopefully we are not limited to that basic room service menu on the roger jett site and we can order whats being served in the MDR as some other posters mentioned 

Edited by mcgahrec

I would definitely attend gala night in the MDR.  They do such a nice job and those nights always have their best menus of the week.  Save the specialty restaurants for another night.  And make reservations in advance if you think you can figure it out before you leave.  Either that or immediately upon boarding.  The good times/days will go fast.  

• Like 1

Its a pity they havent figured out a way to book online using your credit beforehand.

if we book now we get charged and we already have credit on our account and get a PG dinner included in our booking.

if we head to the neptune lounge soon after boarding would the concierge be able to sort us with reservations or should we go to the PG ourselves?

as we are open dining for the mdr is it possible to still reserve a table for dinner on the gala/any evening or you just rock up and get whats available?

3 hours ago, mcgahrec said:

Its a pity they havent figured out a way to book online using your credit beforehand.

if we book now we get charged and we already have credit on our account and get a PG dinner included in our booking.

if we head to the neptune lounge soon after boarding would the concierge be able to sort us with reservations or should we go to the PG ourselves?

as we are open dining for the mdr is it possible to still reserve a table for dinner on the gala/any evening or you just rock up and get whats available?

The concierge can certainly help you with PG reservations.  I think they normally have a few spots for NS & PS passengers.

You can reserve a table in the MDR for open dining as long as you are ok to dine at non peak times. Reservations can usually be made between 5:30 - 6:15/6:30 & after 7:45 or 8 pm.  Otherwise yes, you can just walk in and request the table you want (a table for 2 or join  another table).

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 1:12 AM, mcgahrec said:

Thanks Barbara, so the speciality restaurants don't get involved in the Gala night and remain separate.

These forums have been such a great source of info. You don't realise the half of what you could be missing out on! 

I'm not sure what you mean about specialty restaurants "not getting involved"... the gala night just means that the MDR will have a slightly special menu (not a huge deal, but nice), and there is a "dress code" of "decent clothing" LOL, not much more than that so you are free to dress up or down as you like.  That "dress code" applies to the Pinnacle Grill as well. I agree with others who suggested you go to MDR on gala night, since Pinnacle Grill isn't going to be doing anything special at all that night.

Edited by Moriah

3 hours ago, Moriah said:

I'm not sure what you mean about specialty restaurants "not getting involved"... 

I just meant that the PG or the Lido are not having a "Gala" night. That the PG menu would remain what it normally is.