Hotels within walking distance from NOLA port

skeeter195

Hello all.  I am trying to gather info for our December cruise form NOLA.  Here are my questions: 

1)Are there any hotels within actual walking distance from the port in NOLA?  

2)How far is the port from the french quarter?

3)Is there a great place for oysters(grilled, raw) nearby?

4)Is there a great Jazz music venue in town?

Thanks as always for any help.

Can't tell you about the oysters or the jazz, but yes, there are a number of hotels within walking distance.  We use Harrah's but there are many others.  Hopefully other posters can name them.

The port is reasonably close to the French Quarter.  Walking distance if you aren't too elderly,  LOL.  That is one reason we like Harrah's.  Close to both.  Like halfway between them.

• Like 1

as others have said, you can find plenty of hotels in walking distance to the port.  I also stay at Harrahs, but I play there so I can usually get a free room.  No problem walking to the port from there.  You should check out the "gulf coast departures" forum here on cruise critic.  You can read the postings about the local hotels and I'm sure where to get the best food

as others have said, you can find plenty of hotels in walking distance to the port.  I also stay at Harrahs, but I play there so I can usually get a free room.  No problem walking to the port from there.  You should check out the "gulf coast departures" forum here on cruise critic.  You can read the postings about the local hotels and I'm sure where to get the best food

We stayed at the Drury Inn up the hill from the cruise port.  I would not want to walk it with luggage, but it was definitely walkable for hubby.  We had our car and they offered a park and cruise package.  Hubby dropped us at the pier with our luggage and then parked the car and walked back.  We walked to the  French Quarter, took the street car up to one of the famous graveyards and could have done the same for the Garden district.

Because walking distances are so subjective, here is a link to the terminal location on Google maps. https://goo.gl/maps/Dg2C14YQaUGCNy1g7 I believe NCL is at Julia which is a bit closer to the French Quarter. 

You can find more info on the street cars here: https://www.neworleans.com/plan/transportation/streetcars/ 

The two closest to NCL’s Julia Street terminal are New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center, and Omni Riverfront Hotel, both on Convention Center Blvd. I believe the Marriott offers cruise parking as well.

For Jazz, try Snug Harbor.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, skeeter195 said:

Thanks for the replies guys.  Dragos sounds good.  I did not think Harrahs was within walking distance, I will look into them.  Any others?

Thanks again

If you have any kind of player status with Caesar's/Harrah's group you might be able to get a comped room or a discount.   Also, if you have players status with them you can get a discount when you book a NCL cruise.   

The Harrah's  NOLA hotel is super nice.   We always stay there before and after our cruises from NOLA.   We find it easy to roll our luggage over to the port, but that might not work for everyone.    

In the French Quarter, for Jazz, I think Preservation Hall is the best, although it costs money.

We always stay at the Bourbon Orleans and they have a bar called Bourbon "O" Jazz bar with nightly Jazz. All the groups we have heard are fab and never had a cover charge, but there may be a drink minimum at the tables. Can't remember. 

The Hilton is within walking distance to the cruise terminal,  has Drago's for the best chargrilled oysters around (have tried many places in NOLA) and is within walking distance to the French Quarter (Cafe du Monde, Central Grocery for a Mufuletta).    Great jazz clubs on Frenchman Street but that is a bit of a walk.   The Jazz Playhouse is good.   It also depends on what kind of jazz you like.   

Have stayed at the Drury Inn - it is nice and you can walk to Drago's and the French Quarter.   Would be too far to walk with luggage to the pier but it is easy to get a cab.   Prices better than the Hilton.

You can walk through the mall from Hilton riverside. I also recommend drago’s chargrilled oysters which are in Hilton riverside. Omni Riverfront, embassy suites, Marriott would be other good ones for walking. Some of these can be had on Hotwire at good prices.  Give me your dates if you want me to look. 

Here is my Marriott review which includes a  walk to the port video.

https://saintgregtravel.com/new-orleans-hotel-review-marriott-convention-center/

Here is my walk to the port article which includes the Hilton riverside walk.

https://saintgregtravel.com/new-orleans-walking-to-the-port/