Are price drops even possible for sold out cabin categories?

Booked a panoramic ocean view suite for a cruise on Independence. There are only two on the entire ship and with my booking, both are now sold for my cruise.

Silly question, but am I right to assume that because the only cabins in this category are now sold out, that the idea of a price drop makes no sense?  The only reason I could think that it is even possible is if bookings in general for the cruise are down, but with 2/2 of these VP cabins already sold I see no reason why RC would even think about pricing for these two cabins.

You can still get a price drop in certain situations, such as if the terms of the current fake sale change from 25% off to 30% off and they have not changed the fake base price.  You must call to do this.

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

We have one of those Panoramic suites booked on the Mariner and got a price drop when a new promo came out even though both cabins were booked.

You also have an excellent travel agent!

6 minutes ago, molly361 said:

That was BK- but I do have an excellent TA

Well, I actually didn't know if you could get the price drop by calling RC directly, I figured they would say the category was sold out.  I thought the travel agent had some other way to price the sold out category.  Good to know.

We got a drop on the Serenade RS in 2017. We called our old TA to get a drop on the JS for the week prior, and she came back with a drop on the RS as well. 😁 We didn't even ask. 

• Like 1

How do you know if there would be a drop?

I still monitor prices for our Adventure cruise , which is sold out for our stateroom category.  We have a JS booked so only thing I do is watch the balcony room price and also the Grand Suite room (i.e. category below us, and category above us).  If I notice those drop, then guess I'll call royal to check ours?

Edited by LuCruise

Just now, LuCruise said:

I still monitor prices for our Adventure cruise , which is sold out for our stateroom category.  We have a JS booked so only thing I do is watch the balcony room price and also the Grand Suite room (i.e. room above us, and room above us in category).  If I notice those drop, then guess I'll call royal to check ours?

Check when the fake sale terms change, usually at the beginning of the month.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

I still monitor prices for our Adventure cruise , which is sold out for our stateroom category.  We have a JS booked so only thing I do is watch the balcony room price and also the Grand Suite room (i.e. category below us, and category above us).  If I notice those drop, then guess I'll call royal to check ours?

That;s what I did.  I have the Panoramic suite booked and watch the price of the JS on that sailing.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

Am I correct in assuming that you can’t book these cabins with just 2 people?  I’ve tried several times and it always disallows booking and says to try a different category. 

Possible.  Royal does impose minimum occupancy requirements on certain categories, and these can change as the sailing date approaches.

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Possible.  Royal does impose minimum occupancy requirements on certain categories, and these can change as the sailing date approaches.

Booked our Panoramic Suite for two well over a year out. It wasn't even a suite back then. 

We also booked the A1 on Allure that way. 

I was surprised.

Booked one of the forward Family OV's on Mariner for two years ago, but that was close in.

Could not book the same cabin on Liberty for next year without adding a third passenger. 

Someone may have suggested we add a fake kid since it was a KSF promotion 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I booked our Ocean View Panoramic Suite #1804 on Freedom a B2B just for the two of us in Jan 2019 for a sail date of Apr. 2021....Excited to have all this room and try out this new category....and the price point at which I got it at :classic_biggrin: :classic_biggrin:

10 hours ago, Ashland said:

I booked our Ocean View Panoramic Suite #1804 on Freedom a B2B just for the two of us in Jan 2019 for a sail date of Apr. 2021....Excited to have all this room and try out this new category....and the price point at which I got it at :classic_biggrin: :classic_biggrin:

Both legs?

16 hours ago, HicksRA said:

Am I correct in assuming that you can’t book these cabins with just 2 people?  I’ve tried several times and it always disallows booking and says to try a different category. 

We also booked one of the panoramic suites for 3 different dates, 2 people in each one.