Personal Cruise Consultant - Why contact them?

Hello everyone - I'm new to CC and mostly new to cruising. I've been on one Costa cruise, but my husband hasn't been on a cruise before. 

We are booked to cruise with NCL in September. For the most part, I'm happy to make all my own reservations. I booked the cruise through the NCL website. I've booked my dining online and I've called and reserved an excursion. 

Because I'm new to NCL, I was pleasantly surprised on June 21 to receive a voicemail and email from my Personal Cruise Consultant. I didn't know there was such a person so I was happy to have a person to contact with questions. I emailed him on June 22 and June 25 with some minor questions. Since then, I've heard nothing from him - no response to either of my emails and it's been two weeks. In the meantime I've discovered these boards and through my reading I have my questions answered, so I'm fine without my PCC contact because I can make all my own reservations and these boards are answering all my questions. 

But now I'm wondering if there is something that would be advantageous to get from my PCC, and if so should I get on the phone and try to track him down or get a new PCC? What information/services do you use your PCC for?

Note - I'm not looking to start a discussion about good or bad service from NCL. I'm quite happy with how things are going with NCL and am confident I'll be happy with the service on the ship. It's just the lack of contact from my PCC that surprises me and I wonder if I should put more effort into establishing a relationship with my PCC.

If you get a good one, s/he can be quite helpful.  Mine typically calls me back within the hour if I leave a message.  (I always call, never email.)

I generally book through the website, but use my PCC to "fine-tune" the booking -- change a perk or whatever.  He also patiently answers my questions.  

If you still want to see what he can do for you, try leaving your PCC a voicemail; if he doesn't respond to that, then see about getting a new one.  

• Like 1

The PCC is basically a travel agent that works for NCL. Using this person is a HUGE win for NCL because they aren't paying commissions to outside travel agents. And in turn, you enjoy none of the perks a travel agent provides. You're not doing yourself any favors by using this person. All you're doing is allowing NCL to make more money.

That being said, find yourself a good travel agent or even easier, just use that website (not sure if I can say the name here) where agents compete for your business. I just used that site to book a last minute NCL sailing and got $100 OBC just for booking through the travel agents website. I didn't have to speak to anyone, everything done online, no different than if I booked it through NCL direct. So basically, I get $100 for free that I'll apply to gratuities onboard. 

Guess how much OBC I'd have gotten if I used a PCC? Zero.

I know none of this helps with your current situation, but keep it in mind when you book your next cruise.

• Like 2

PCC should be more attentive to you.  You should not have to chase him/her down.  Either get a new one who is more responsive or, if you don’t mind, do everything yourself.  I like having one person to contact rather than trying to navigate the system with whomever you get on the phone.

• Like 1

I do lots of research before, and make lots of mock bookings before, but I always book with a PCC. One big reason is that they can see all of the cabins that are available in a particular category, not just the 15 that NCL has on their website. As mentioned earlier, they can also handle upgrades or issue OBC if the price drops after final payment.

That being said, PCC's come and go.  I've had at least 6 PCC's assigned to me in the past 4 years.  Some were good, some were not. On our last cruise, a couple of passengers recommended a PCC they have been using for years. I contacted her to book an upcoming cruise and was very pleased with her attention to detail. She was also able to make reservations for us, for a show on another cruise we have coming up, that the website says you have to wait till you're onboard to book.

5 hours ago, trivimp said:

If you get a good one, s/he can be quite helpful.  Mine typically calls me back within the hour if I leave a message.  (I always call, never email.)

I generally book through the website, but use my PCC to "fine-tune" the booking -- change a perk or whatever.  He also patiently answers my questions.  

If you still want to see what he can do for you, try leaving your PCC a voicemail; if he doesn't respond to that, then see about getting a new one.  

My PCC said he doesn't get credit when I book on line and seemed upset that I did.

27 minutes ago, stormynow said:

My PCC said he doesn't get credit when I book on line and seemed upset that I did.

Same thing happened to me, mine literally said not to contact him if I had any questions about my booking or had to make any changes, and gave me the main number to call for questions. When I did that they told me I should be talking to my PCC, I told them he said to call this number, they were confused. He did tell me to call him directly with any new bookings. 

Suffice it to say I put in a request for a new PCC. 

Edited by tomservo
  • Like 3

I've always booked online but having read this thread I decided to give my PCC a call. He sounded very surprised to be contacted!

It was a swift booking process, and he worked out who I was from my phone number so I didn't have to give any tedious background information. However, I wouldn't say that I got anything that I couldn't have done online with the exception of getting a specific room that wasn't offered by the online system. But I've always been able to email them that request. 

I've found them to be rather worthless. When we first started cruising with NCL, I was surprised to be assigned a PCC as well. I thought it was nice and personal service, but while he was nice and friendly, he didn't do anything for us that I couldn't already do myself and then he got promoted and the ones assigned after that are not always as friendly or helpful. In fact, recently, I was just about to book a great deal on NCL's website, but before I did, I made the mistake of calling our PCC. He kept me on hold for a long period of time and then came back and said no such deal exists. I tried to get the deal that was posted and they had pulled it from their website. He said it would not have been honored because it was a mistake, but I didn't care for the way it was handled. I always find better deals elsewhere often before the PCC is aware of them.

• Like 1

I have to tip my hat to NCL, they have done a fantastic job with the "PCC" scam. You will *always* get a better deal booking through a TA. NCL and their "PCC" offers no deal at all, just a facade. How much OBC does a "PCC" offer? LOL!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I'll continue on as I have and not think too much about contacting my PCC. If something changes and I do feel I need one, I'll push my current one or ask for a new one. 

I'm loving all the info on these boards and how much more experienced cruisers are open to sharing with us new people. 😊

Welcome to cruising Janetonboard and CC.  Of all of the web-forums on the topic, CC seems to have a better clientele and the information here is 'typically' more accurate.  However, do not blindly believe everything you read here; be sure to confirm things with your TA, PCC or the cruise line directly.  As to NCL PCCs, I've had experiences similar to others posted above.  Our current PCC is fairly good and attentive to our questions if we book through him, but we have learned that we can always get all he offers he can provide AND cash back by booking through COSTCO.  It pays to comparison shop (as others have suggested).  Now that you are booked to cruise with NCL in September, take the time to find your "Roll Call" for that cruise where you will find other passengers on your cruise and maybe make new friends.  Cheers!

We have used the same travel agent for almost 20 years and she has always come through with anything we needed and it has never been at an increased cost of the cruise over directly booking with NCL. I spend zero time contacting NCL, that is her job. I just email or call her and can be confident that she will get me an answer.

26 minutes ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

We have used the same travel agent for almost 20 years and she has always come through with anything we needed and it has never been at an increased cost of the cruise over directly booking with NCL. I spend zero time contacting NCL, that is her job. I just email or call her and can be confident that she will get me an answer.

I understand the need to have a TA with NCL.  We have cruised on Princess, Carnival and Royal Caribbean and have always gotten a prompt response and help from our PCC.  Only with NCL has it been an issue which IMO shouldn't be the case.  The issues started long before all of the current complications (software update, Cuba cancellations and now Pearl cancellations).  I just don't understand that each time it takes more than half a dozen phone calls and more than 10 emails each and every time there is an issue and not all items being addressed.  I feel this is just unacceptable and a TA should not be the answer. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

I understand the need to have a TA with NCL.  We have cruised on Princess, Carnival and Royal Caribbean and have always gotten a prompt response and help from our PCC.  Only with NCL has it been an issue which IMO shouldn't be the case.  The issues started long before all of the current complications (software update, Cuba cancellations and now Pearl cancellations).  I just don't understand that each time it takes more than half a dozen phone calls and more than 10 emails each and every time there is an issue and not all items being addressed.  I feel this is just unacceptable and a TA should not be the answer. 

I get better service for the same cost. I book all our cruises and travel insurance through the travel agent and don't lose a minute of sleep over some problem. Better service, same cost; no brainer.

We have booked our cruises through a PCC.  We always get OBC when the price goes down.  Any questions answered promptly.  Our currant booking not yet taken we have been given OBC and a move at no extra charge from a balcony to a mini-suite.  I like that I do not have to always be checking to see if the cruise prices have changed.   For us it has been a win, win.

My PCC never responds to emails. I prefer email since their hours can conflict with when I'm free to chat on the phone. But they refuse to ever write back. They'll only assist if I call them, and even then it's hit or miss. 

The only thing they were useful for was when I booked my upcoming POA cruise so we could get connecting cabins for my sister and I. If I call the main number, they force me to go through my PCC and then I end up having to leave a voicemail and call back saying he didn't answer and I need someone now. 

17 hours ago, LISAARCH said:

We have booked our cruises through a PCC.  We always get OBC when the price goes down.  Any questions answered promptly.  Our currant booking not yet taken we have been given OBC and a move at no extra charge from a balcony to a mini-suite.  I like that I do not have to always be checking to see if the cruise prices have changed.   For us it has been a win, win.

This seems to be the best reason I've heard to book my next cruise with the PCC. When the time comes I still consider booking it myself, or using a TA, or contacting my PCC (and hoping he responds, or asking for a new PCC if he doesn't). But when I do book I'll be keeping your experience in mind. 

Thanks

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 12:06 AM, CruisingNole said:

I have to tip my hat to NCL, they have done a fantastic job with the "PCC" scam. You will *always* get a better deal booking through a TA. NCL and their "PCC" offers no deal at all, just a facade. How much OBC does a "PCC" offer? LOL!

Ours got us $600 for our upcoming cruise. 

On 7/5/2019 at 4:04 PM, tomservo said:

Same thing happened to me, mine literally said not to contact him if I had any questions about my booking or had to make any changes, and gave me the main number to call for questions. When I did that they told me I should be talking to my PCC, I told them he said to call this number, they were confused. He did tell me to call him directly with any new bookings. 

Suffice it to say I put in a request for a new PCC. 

My PCC was really rude and told me that since I booked through their website (NCL) he would not help me with details or questions.  He told me I had to call the general NCL toll free number instead.  Totally worthless and a waste.  Left a very bad taste in my mouth, and I'm certainly never going to book through him, due to this interaction.