Flying into FCO, train to Roma Termini - What would ETA be?

MCazer

Hello all!

For this trip, we are flying direct from JFK to FCO, and intend on collecting our luggage, and catching train to Roma Termini station (how long does this train take?) and then taking high speed train to Florence for 3 days before our cruise out of Civitavecchia.

My question is, how much time should I give myself to do all that?  Want to book our train, while discount train rates are still available.

Our flight arrives on a Saturday, September 28th at 12:10pm.  What would be a feasible time to get to Roma Termini? 

These are trains I was looking at: 14:15, 14:45, 15:15 or 15:45

Thanks!

Fair question but tough to be real exact with an answer.  You first need to consider that many International flights are delayed (late) so the 12:10pm arrival is questionable.  But assuming you arrive on time it can take about an hour to get off the aircraft,  get to the luggage area, claim your luggage, get through immigrations/customs (customs is usually not an issue).  Once you have your luggage and are out of the secure area (essentially free) you will have to walk about 500 yards to the FCO train station.  The Leonardo Express runs every 30 minutes and takes about a half hour to get you to Termini.  But depending on your timing you might have to wait for up to 30 minutes for that next train.  The trains depart FCO at 23 and 53 min past each hour and the posted journey time is 32 minutes.

Also keep in mind that Termini is a huge train station.  Depending on your train's platform you can find yourself walking several city blocks (within the station) just to get to or between platforms.

If your flight arrives on time and everything goes nicely you would probably get to Termini around 2 (at the earliest) to 2:45.  But you will be in Italy and in Italy things do not always work according to a schedule.    As to the trains from Termini to Florence, looking at the Trenitalia schedule for the faster trains you have departures at 14:20, 14:50 and 15:22 and 15:50.  Personally I would not choose anything earlier than that 15:22 train...especially since you want to reserve (and pay) in advance.  Just keep in mind that there is always the risk that your plane is a few hours late and you miss your train.  A bummer...but its only money.  Booking the 15:50 train does give you a little more breathing room and you will still be in Florence in plenty of time for dinner :).

Hank

The Leonardo Express from FCO to Roma Termini takes 32 minutes.  You don't have to  buy in advance, a good thing since I never know how long it's going to take me to deplane, go through immigration and walk to the train station.  Depending on how fast you get through, you could make the 14:15 or 14:45.   I'd use the 14:45 as the basis to buy your ticket to Florence - if you get the 14:15, you have a little time to grab a bite at one of the food stalls in Termini.  If you get the 14:45, no biggie.   The Freccerossa (sorry a bout the spelling) to Firenze S.M. Novella (the station you want) has some departures in the 15:00 hours you could book.  

Just what I saw from a quick look at the trenitalia website.

Thank you

Looking at booking through ITALO instead.  Since we are traveling to Florence, it is similar to using Trenitalia, but following ITALO on Facebook, they have a coupon right now. And they have good reviews and newer trains.

I think we will probably go with the 15:45 train, just in case.  We have an Airbnb close to Firenze SMS, so that helps!

Also note that there are direct trains from Termini to Florence (on Trenitalia) a couple of times each day.  You might consider buying that one in advance but allowing several hours between your arrival and the train departure.

The direct trains are at 11:08 and 15:08.

If your flight arrives on time at 12:10 you'd end up killing time at the airport before the 15:08 but you'd avoid the hassle of changing at Termini.

Edited by euro cruiser

5 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Also note that there are direct trains from Termini to Florence (on Trenitalia) a couple of times each day.  You might consider buying that one in advance but allowing several hours between your arrival and the train departure.

The direct trains are at 11:08 and 15:08.

If your flight arrives on time at 12:10 you'd end up killing time at the airport before the 15:08 but you'd avoid the hassle of changing at Termini.

OMG, thank you so much! Just booked this. It is the perfect solution, now I don’t have to stress it! Paid and chose our seats.  I had no idea there were direct trains.  So much less expensive than flying too! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Also keep in mind that Termini is a huge train station.  Depending on your train's platform you can find yourself walking several city blocks (within the station) just to get to or between platforms.

Yes, Termini is HUGE.  We took the train from Termini to the port for our cruise several years ago and thought we'd given ourselves plenty of time.  We ended up running to catch our train with all of our bags!

4 hours ago, CruiseDigits said:

Yes, Termini is HUGE.  We took the train from Termini to the port for our cruise several years ago and thought we'd given ourselves plenty of time.  We ended up running to catch our train with all of our bags!

If I remember correctly, the Leonardo Express from FCO always comes into the same binario and it is in the same area as the binarios that the Frecce trains leave for Florence.  I don't remember having to walk very far at all at Termini for those trains.  But, I don't travel with any bag that I can't lift myself into the overhead on the trains, so my walking time may be skewed.  

I do hear people posting about the very, very long walk from the Civi train binario to the main entrance of Termini or to the Frecce train binarios.  

It will not take that long to get to the train station at the airport. You will be there before 1pm if you have nothing to declare. All you have to do is scan your passport and have your picture taken. A bit of walking for sure, but no reason why you couldn't be at the airport train station by 1pm.

Just a heads up, there is no place to sit in Roma Termini.

On 7/6/2019 at 1:27 PM, slidergirl said:

I do hear people posting about the very, very long walk from the Civi train binario to the main entrance of Termini or to the Frecce train binarios.  

It all depends on the train. our train to Civi left on track 19 but it was an Inter City train.