Wheelchair-bound passenger in stateroom question

Kealani98

Hi ... my partner has Parkinson's and is wheelchair bound. We have traveled w/Princess many times, but he could use a walker then, so this would be our first cruise with just a wheelchair.

Just wondering how other wheelchair-bound passengers get in and out of bed if their partner can't help them.

Do you use a portable sit to stand device or bring a companion?

We haven't used the accessible rooms yet and wondered what you thought of those? Are they easy to get around in?

Are there any other potential difficulties we should be aware of?

Also, what do you do about getting to a bathroom on a 16 hr flight?

Hoping we can continue to cruise with Princess.

Many thanks!

Hi, I have not sailed with Princess and have not used a portable sit to stand device but have sailed for the last 8 years with a wheelchair and a rented hoist (patient lifter), for my son. 

When you first get to the cabin see how you can maximise the space. Get items removed from the cabin that you can manage without; i.e coffee table; vanity chair. Move the beds to give you more space.

Have you used a portable sit to stand device before?  There are several types. Some you will have to maneuver whilst your partner is standing on them. You should research which is the best one for you.

• Like 1

Thanks, Bloodgem. That's terrific to know. I've seen sit to stands used with my partner when he's been in hospital, but have not used one myself yet. That will change this week since we're renting one to see about using it at home. Many thanks, again!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I find the biggest problem for wheelchair users (who, like myself are unable to stand or walk at all) in accessible cabins is the height of the bed! I have been in a chair for 56 years, and my shoulders are worn out......meaning that I cannot lift myself onto the bed due to it's height.

A hoist would certainly be easiest for both of you, but be aware that it will be VERY hard to move with a person dangling in the sling over the deep-pile carpets used in cruise ships; and they take up a LOT of floor space in the cabin when not in use.

It may not apply to your partner, and it is pretty ungainly, but I get as close as possible to the bed with brakes on, and literally throw myself sideways onto the bed so my upper body is on the bed. My wife then lifts my legs up while I swing around and further on until I can slide easily. Getting off is a lot easier as I can drop down onto my chair.

My wife calls my "technique" whale-watching.....she finds it quite amusing, but we get there.

All long-haul airlines will have a collapsible narrow aisle chair for use in getting to the on-board toilet. Depending on the airline, staff may or may not assist you in transferring between the seat and the aisle chair (hope your partner is neither tall or heavy, as the aisle chair is quite small and uncomfortable, as you sit in a knees-up position).

The toilet itself is another matter.......although some aircraft show an (supposedly larger) accessible toilet, once you are in the "larger" toilet in the aisle chair, and with the curtain (not a door) drawn, there is very little room to move or for your partner to be in with you for assistance (airline staff will wheel you to/from the toilet, but cannot help from there).

Check out www.seatguru.com to see accurate seating layouts of any airline and aircraft in it's fleet. You can see seat widths and knee room, and check out comments from people who have been on that aircraft. This will be helpful to assess which will be best for your partner's access options.

John.