If you could pick a month for a med sailing.....

BermudaBound2014

If you could pick a month for a med sailing which month would it be and why?

I figured this is the best board to ask since MSC has the most ships sailing in the Med and many of the fine contributors here live across the pond :).

I've done July and August a few times and it's HOT, crowded, and expensive. We like temps in the 60's/70's. A few colder days is fine. Same with a few warmer days. Considering a typical western med / Greek isles itinerary (example: Barcelona, liverono, rome, naples, santorini, Kotor, venice). Would you recommend spring or fall?

TIA :)

May, June, September and October would be the best months for weather in the 60’s/70’s and would be cheaper...especially later in September or October.

We have two booked, one in June and one in October...June we are in a balcony room and in October we are in a Suite for a couple of hundred less than June. 

• Like 1

Try Xmas time, we did but with Costa.

Weather was bright and sunny most days and warmest between 11 am and 3pm.

September and early to mid October would be good also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I figured this is the best board to ask since MSC has the most ships sailing in the Med and many of the fine contributors here live across the pond :).

I've done July and August a few times and it's HOT, crowded, and expensive. We like temps in the 60's/70's. A few colder days is fine. Same with a few warmer days. Considering a typical western med / Greek isles itinerary (example: Barcelona, liverono, rome, naples, santorini, Kotor, venice). Would you recommend spring or fall?

TIA :)

We like anytime in the Mediterranean but always avoid the peak holiday months of July and August.

I live in the Med and have done numerous Med cruises.  At first we had to go in July because that was when DH was off work.  Since he retired we have stuck with April and November.  We will be going to the Greek Islands this September because I did want to enjoy the beaches.  

So those people who want to enjoy Europe's beaches might prefer to stick to the warmer months of June - September.  Those who want to visit the amazing cities and tourist sites are better avoiding those times.  

Winter months risk bad weather.  We went on a cruise over Halloween last year and got caught in the really bad storm that hit Italy.  We had to miss Naples as a result.  However the rest of the cruise was lovely.  April has been a great time, but you cannot rely on the weather.  You can get a week of rain.  You have to accept that risk.  

There seem to be fewer real 'bargain' out of season cruises.  More people seem to realise that the cooler months make for better sightseeing.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

TIA 🙂

But are you willing to try MSC again???

6 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I live in the Med and have done numerous Med cruises.  At first we had to go in July because that was when DH was off work.  Since he retired we have stuck with April and November.  We will be going to the Greek Islands this September because I did want to enjoy the beaches.  

So those people who want to enjoy Europe's beaches might prefer to stick to the warmer months of June - September.  Those who want to visit the amazing cities and tourist sites are better avoiding those times.  

Winter months risk bad weather.  We went on a cruise over Halloween last year and got caught in the really bad storm that hit Italy.  We had to miss Naples as a result.  However the rest of the cruise was lovely.  April has been a great time, but you cannot rely on the weather.  You can get a week of rain.  You have to accept that risk.  

There seem to be fewer real 'bargain' out of season cruises.  More people seem to realise that the cooler months make for better sightseeing.  

Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed reply :).

We've been forced to travel July and August but soon that restriction will be lifted and I very much look forward to taking advantage of shoulder seasons around the globe.

I still can't figure out why the fall in the med is so much cheaper than the spring (at least for those of us pricing from the US). Right now it's about 50% cheaper to sail in October over May in 2020. Based on these replies, it doesn't seem like one season over the other is particularly better. Weather will do as weather will do, we just want the best odds. I do know that Venice (which would be the landing point) floods, but the flip side is the hotel prices are also 50% less. And the crowds are what really do us in for the big cities like Venice, Rome, Barcelona, etc... I'll brave some rain and walk in waders for significantly less crowding. :)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, nikkiw60 said:

But are you willing to try MSC again???

Of course! Why else would I hang around this forum? 😉

I've stated time and time again, that while I consider MSC a budget line, I have enjoyed both of my MSC sailings and will gladly sail again as long as the price is right. 

From the USA, MSC is significantly cheaper than main stream lines in the Med. In addition, I think MSC in the med might actually be a more authentic experience than MSC in the Caribbean. Win/win.

I'm a value driven consumer and when priced accordingly, MSC provides an excellent value. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Of course! Why else would I hang around this forum? 😉

I've stated time and time again, that while I consider MSC a budget line, I have enjoyed both of my MSC sailings and will gladly sail again as long as the price is right. 

From the USA, MSC is significantly cheaper than main stream lines in the Med. In addition, I think MSC in the med might actually be a more authentic experience than MSC in the Caribbean. Win/win.

I'm a value driven consumer and when priced accordingly, MSC provides an excellent value. 

Good!

We have just come back from Spain and it's been very hot for past 3 weeks, similar to the rest of Europe. We were also there in March when it was 31c on St Patrick's day so you can never tell with weather.

we cruises from Venice around Adriatic and Greek islands in mid October and weather was fantastic, we also did Med last January and again weather was great.

to avoid crowds I would suggest May or end September when weather is normally good and crowds less, don't go last week of May as this is usually UK school holiday week.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Was Venice flooded in October? We will be traveling with my sil and she has never been to Venice so I want to make sure we are pretty safe from flooding. 

Venice was indeed flooded last October.  The weather was somewhat atypical.  I have cruised two consecutive years that same week (my wedding anniversary week) and the weather was completely different.   I would not avoid October just because there might be flooding.   

Imagine those tourists in Athens last week who could not visit the Acropolis because it was closed due to being too hot.    Sometimes the weather does get in the way of your plans.  

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 8:53 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

TIA 🙂

Late April, May or September

Ive done February, March , June, July, August, October and November for me personally I dont like it too hot so even in June it got very hot in some ports and  for February and November we were lucky to have warm dry weather . So I would I think avoid late June to Late August 

• Like 1

Well... Ok: By living and mostly travelling myself just across the pound in the southern med, I think I have something to say on this one!...

First of all; as many have noted weather is at certain extent unpredictable at a long distance. Bear in mind that!... That said, TBHH, I tend to avoid mid July to mid September for cruising and general city touring, because that is generally school holiday time for most of the European kids, and main holiday time for most of their parents!... So, usually I prefer something from mid May to mid July or mid September to mid November. Those are usually very nice times. Mid November to mid mid May might to be nice... But it is pretty much uncertain!...

So now: Would I pick a specific month for cruising? Really not!... By and large all of them do have their advantages and disadvantages!... 🙂 I tend to give more attention to other details. To avoid the huge crowds and the kids is one. Price is another. And to pay attention to the conditions of the particular travel I am choosing is another.

Have a nice day!... 🙂

• Like 3

I did mid May. Nice weather, no crowd, no kids, every day was a sunny day besides a few showers in Rome.

I don't care about the human meat soup pool on the cruise, but most of the time was a little too cold to be in there. Price was also dirt cheap.

Edited by thetaro