Fresh off Carribbean Princess

ahendricks00

I’m fresh off the Carribbean Princess today and will give a brief review addressing some of the topics of conversation I’ve seen on the board recently. Don’t  hesitate to ask if any questions! 

The ship is beautiful and in great shape. The Ocean Medalions are fantastic and make many processes better. I could not image a smoother embarkation or debarkation. Literally walked straight on and straight off with no lines. If the Information Age freaks you out- the medallions may not be your cup of tea. Every crew member we walked by had a tablet or phone and any passenger nearby with their medallion’s information appeared. Loyalty class, hometown, name, stateroom, etc. I guess that makes for more personalized service, but can be a bit creepy.

The carpet desperately needed replaced in our ocean view stateroom. There were so many wine stains it seemed like a murder scene. The room was somewhere between cooler than warm and warmer than cool. Most nights it was fine, but woke up warm a few nights. That said, I like to sleep very cool, so it probably would have been fine for most. 

For those that care, all straws were paper straws. The dining room was great and the buffet was average. One thing I discovered thanks to our great waiter that I didn’t know before is that every night in the dining room there is a $3 desert drink special that even comes with a small soveiner glass. One night was limoncello, another was a Khalua drink. Great deal. Make sure to ask for it. 

Entertainment was pretty good. The  24k gold deck party was great and full of energy. It was a shame that it was the only deck party of the cruise. Shows were okay, but had no real storyline or narrative. The final show, Fantastic Journey, was cut short on the first showing as the lift broke due to ship movement. Made for a bit of an awkward moment and the remainder of the show was cancelled as well as the second showing due to safety concerns for the performers.

Overall it was a great cruise. I highly recommend both the Carribbean Princess and the eastern Carribbean itenrary!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ahendricks00 said:

The Ocean Medalions are fantastic and make many processes better. I could not image a smoother embarkation or debarkation. Literally walked straight on and straight off with no lines. If the Information Age freaks you out- the medallions may not be your cup of tea. Every crew member we walked by had a tablet or phone and any passenger nearby with their medallion’s information appeared. Loyalty class, hometown, name, stateroom, etc. I guess that makes for more personalized service, but can be a bit creepy.

Did you notice if your security photo, or avatar (if you downloaded one different from your photo) or both appeared on those tablets? Or anywhere else as your avatar is purported to do on all the public screens throughout the ship? To me that is what will be potentially a bit too creepy for my bones when I board the CB in three weeks.

1 hour ago, fishywood said:

id you notice if your security photo, or avatar (if you downloaded one different from your photo) or both appeared on those tablets? Or anywhere else as your avatar is purported to do on all the public screens throughout the ship? To me that is what will be potentially a bit too creepy for my bones when I board the CB in three weeks.

Your photo appears on the screens where the staff see them, your avatar appears on the public screens.

So my comments, just got home a bit ago.

Got to the port at 9:45am and we were probably in the first 50 people in line to board.  Got to go inside at about 10am, then thru security, and to the check in.  The first lady we got to at the check in gave us a boarding pass "Boarding group 5", and sent us to one of the check in personnel.  He checked us in, we were about to leave and I asked him if this was a new way of doing it, and he said no, she should have given you an elite boarding pass and he swapped it out. 

Went upstairs to the elite lounge and was there about 10:15 till 11.  Then they let us board, went straight to the room and dropped our bags and went and had lunch.  Overall very easy.

We were in an interior room on Lido deck.  Last year we were in a lido balcony, and as some of you might remember, we had A/C issues and had to remove the baffle from the ceiling to get sufficient airflow to keep it reasonably comfortable.  I took a thermometer with me this year, and in the inside room, we were able to keep the air between 69-72 degrees the entire week.  Would have liked it a bit cooler, but overall it was good.  Had read about A/C issues since dry dock, but we didn't have any, although the buffet area was rather warm on several nights, uncomfortable enough to notice.  Not sure if anyone was having A/C issues.

Ship was in great shape overall.  We spent all of our days at the terrace pool.  Tijana was a great bartender and we  tipped her at the end of the week. At the last minute, I decided not to buy a bunch of drinks and take onboard as I had planned, and went ahead and got the Soda drink package.  I wasn't going to because of the price hike, but my wife talked me into it so we didn't have to drag so much on board.  It worked out good, as Tijana took great care of us.  Princess made a lot of money on me for that decision, but we did enjoy a lot of mocktails, so I was okay with it. 

Lots of chair hogs too, people would show up at 7:30am, put towels on chairs, and not come back till 10-11 am, then leave and not come back.  I did love the new loungers back there, hope they make those fleet wide and ship wide in the future.

We went to Crown Grill twice, once was a freebie from our TA and ones was because we got the coupon book, and it had BOGO on embarkation day, so we went that night as well.  Called to change the default reservation that was on the one from the TA, but was told they only had 5pm or 8pm for reservations, everything else was booked online.  We just went down when we wanted and they seated us, no issues at all.

We did ask our room steward about the toiletry kit, and he did get us one, but I don't think they supply them by default anymore.

We never went to the DR, so I can't comment on that, ate at the buffet or the pizza/burger each day other than our two trips to the Crown Grill.  I really don't care much for the WMP, some of the foods are bewildering to me, such as the premade sandwiches.  I tried one once just to see, and the bread was hard as a rock.  I just don't get that.  It also appears chocolate bananas and chocolate waffles are now daily fare.  It's a good thing there are lots of choices, and we always found something to eat.

Had express walk A this morning, was scheduled for 7:30, which surprised me, as I expected 6:30, but we went down at about 7am, there were 50-75 people there already, and they actually started letting us off about 7:10.  Through customs by 7:20 and at the airport by 7:40, thru security in 5 minutes, and at our gate by 7:50.  Had a 9:45am flight. 

Good week overall.  No real complaints other than the buffet and the warm temps in the buffet a couple of the days.  Staff was overall good, our room steward Alvin was great. 

9 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

I am getting mixed up. Not this ship. Sorry. However if I recall on this ship in the buffet you get a large cup like for the soup. Or am I screw up here also? If I am correct. Easy to walk with without a spilling it being problem. Wish all ships would use it. One last thing. Is this also the ship with the super hot plates in the buffet? Been a few years since we have cruise on this ship. Memory is going down hill.

As far as I remember the buffet  soup cups take two ladles full to fill to the top. I think they are like that on all Princess ships. Fill them all the way or part way it's your choice. If the plates were just removed from the washer/sanitizer then they will be hot. They cool after they sit a short while. I remember ice cream in the buffet only one evening. You must be thinking about the soft ice cream which is available all day and evening just outside of the buffet area by the main pools.

Oh, one other issue I wanted to mention.  In the WMP area there were only 2 tables for 2 people in the whole area.  I understand that there are lots of groups of 4 or more on every sailing, but I'm sure there are a lot of couples only.  There should be at least 5-10 tables for 2 in each of the large dining areas.  Don't go to the DR anymore so not sure if that has changed or not.

1 minute ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Oh, one other issue I wanted to mention.  In the WMP area there were only 2 tables for 2 people in the whole area.  I understand that there are lots of groups of 4 or more on every sailing, but I'm sure there are a lot of couples only.  There should be at least 5-10 tables for 2 in each of the large dining areas.  Don't go to the DR anymore so not sure if that has changed or not.

Did you venture to the very back; where Planks is at night; there are quite a few booths with chair on one side of table and bench seat on other side.  My wife and I would eat breakfast back there most mornings

Just now, AF-1 said:

Did you venture to the very back; where Planks is at night; there are quite a few booths with chair on one side of table and bench seat on other side.  My wife and I would eat breakfast back there most mornings

Yeah, I did notice that, but in the evening that area is reserved for paying meals for Planks and Steamers.  I was speaking mainly of the buffet area itself. 

I know it is subjective and will vary from cruise to cruise, but I always seem to pack 'wrong' clothes. I like to fit in!

Last cruise men in family wore tuxes, ladies cocktail dresses on formal night and were surprised to see others in MDR in shorts ( Royal Caribbean). Made us feel very overdressed. Lovely photos though.

Our Princess cruises to Caribbean have seemed more informal..Have just about decided to skip formal nights for very first time in over 25 cruises, but feeling a little nervous about what to pack. 

Please comment on on how people were dressed on formal and smart casual nights, if you can help.

Many thanks.

4 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

I know it is subjective and will vary from cruise to cruise, but I always seem to pack 'wrong' clothes. I like to fit in!

Last cruise men in family wore tuxes, ladies cocktail dresses on formal night and were surprised to see others in MDR in shorts ( Royal Caribbean). Made us feel very overdressed. Lovely photos though.

Our Princess cruises to Caribbean have seemed more informal..Have just about decided to skip formal nights for very first time in over 25 cruises, but feeling a little nervous about what to pack. 

Please comment on on how people were dressed on formal and smart casual nights, if you can help.

Many thanks.

While most people on Princess do dress up on formal nights compared to RCI you'll still see some who care to dress down somewhat & will still be OK. ie. dress shirt & dress pants, dressy top & slacks.

People in shorts in the DR are a rare occurrence although we have seen it on some ships. I still wouldn't let it keep me from dressing up if it's your choice although Princess has become less formal in recent years.

On casual evenings most people dress in comfortable clothing for the DR while some change immediately after into shorts. Once again it's your choice.

• Like 1

We didn't do formal nights, and never went to MDR, so we only had shorts/tshirts for evenings, and never felt out of place at all.  It's nice to look at all the pretty people getting their picture made, and inside I'm thinking "I'm glad I'm not dressed like that".  There is no right or wrong answer, wear what you are comfortable and participate in what you want to.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, In Toronto said:

kycatfanone:  You said that you spent most days at the Terrace Pool - Did you notice much vibration?  We are in an aft cabin, deck 14 and this is a concern after reading about bad vibration from previous posters.  Thanks.

At the pool area not at all.  Seemed quite smooth to me.  But I wasnt in a cabin back there either.