Canada/New England Itinerary Q

PoolSlider

Hello. We will be on a southbound sailing from Quebec City to Ft Lauderdale. The first US stop is Portland, Maine and there are 3 more American stops before FLL. My question is: will we have the customs/re-entry procedures in FLL or not as we will be in US territory for a week prior to disembarkation? 

Also would love to hear any suggestions to things to see and eat during this sailing. Thanks!

O, Portland Maine is first US port, so no Immigration in Fort Lauderdale.  Why don’t you join the roll call for this cruise, if it is on Zuiderdam departing Quebec City on October 9?  Discussions of activities on there.

Just a heads up that the ship will be travelling very slowly going through the St. Lawrence Seaway.

Speeds have been drastically reduced for all ships in the hopes of preventing further whale deaths.

Yes, you will go through immigration in Portland, Maine.

Now -- one time we also had to go through immigration when we got to Ft Lauderdale.  Don't know if that will happen to you or not.

Customs has been stopped the last couple of years for ships disembarking in US ports.

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Just a heads up that the ship will be travelling very slowly going through the St. Lawrence Seaway.

Speeds have been drastically reduced for all ships in the hopes of preventing further whale deaths.

I'm sure this was a typo, but the speed restriction zone is in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, not the Seaway.  It is about 180 miles long, and speeds are limited to 10 knots, so about 18 hours of reduced speed.  Probably adding about 8 hours to the time in the Gulf.

Just now, chengkp75 said:

I'm sure this was a typo, but the speed restriction zone is in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, not the Seaway.  It is about 180 miles long, and speeds are limited to 10 knots, so about 18 hours of reduced speed.  Probably adding about 8 hours to the time in the Gulf.

LOL - yes it was a typo.  thanks for the correction.  

Thanks all. I guess there is no definitive answer to the immigration question but it would seem odd to go thru twice. 

I am really looking forward to this cruise on the Zuidy; it will be our 3rd trip on this ship. Looking forward to Capt van Hoogdalem's pithy morning greetings. 

Yes lobster is going to play a starring role! Also hoping for some fall foliage.