New to HAL, sailing on Westerdam next week

ezcruzer

My first time on HAL coming up. Westerdam Alaska Vancouver to Seward. Been 4 + years since our last cruise. I see there’s a thread for first timers but 168 pages.....?  Not sure I can get thru that. I know from years ago there’s lots of inside info on this board on what’s good/ bad, what not to miss,  and lots of recommendations that a newbie wouldn’t be aware of. I don’t think I’ll have time to get thru all the threads on here this week, so if anyone has tips I should know about please post. Never been on HAL and it’s been some time since our last cruise so I think I need to catch up. Thanks!

12 minutes ago, ezcruzer said:

My first time on HAL coming up. Westerdam Alaska Vancouver to Seward. Been 4 + years since our last cruise. I see there’s a thread for first timers but 168 pages.....?  Not sure I can get thru that. I know from years ago there’s lots of inside info on this board on what’s good/ bad, what not to miss,  and lots of recommendations that a newbie wouldn’t be aware of. I don’t think I’ll have time to get thru all the threads on here this week, so if anyone has tips I should know about please post. Never been on HAL and it’s been some time since our last cruise so I think I need to catch up. Thanks!

Sailing on July 14th?  If so, hello cruisemate! 

There ought to be a sailaway party on the aft Lido Deck as we sail under the Lion's Gate Bridge.  Be there!

The Westerdam has been in drydock since I last sailed on her, so I can't say what may/may not have physically changed.  I would recommend any specialty restaurant reservations that you want to make be made upon embarkation.  The Sel-de-Mar pop-up ought to be offered one night in the Pinnacle Grill.  Sel-de-Mar's cuisine, service, ambiance on the Nieuw Statendam this January provided my best dining experience on that ship.  Making a reservation for this pop-up opportunity is a priority once I embark.

The Westerdam is a beautiful ship.  I hope you will enjoy your cruise on her.

Edited by rkacruiser

We cruised Alaska on the Westerdam last year-our 1st HAL cruise ever out of 15 cruises. Didn't notice anything really "different" other than enjoyed our 2 dinners in the Pinnacle Grill (well worth the $$), and the Lido buffet was different as they serve you so lineups were a little longer at some times. Other than that, the ship was fine, staff was good. What makes this cruise amazing is what we saw. Out of 16 cruises now, it was theeeee best for sights and memories I will never forget! Don't worry about the ship, just take in all the awesome views, wildlife and sights.

Have you seen the predictions for smoke in Seward from the massive nearby Swan Lake fire? 

They look... terrible.  **

Example:  The smoke level for part of tomorrow (734 micrograms per cubit meter) is beyond the worst level "hazardous to everyone" range of 301 - 500.  https://www.weather.gov/sti/stimodeling_airquality_faq

They need to develop an entirely new scale for how hazardous the smoke is now in the seward area.

One key thing to do ASAP before you leave. 

Put a N95 pollution mask in your day bag, and wear it when you see smoke, before your throat starts to feel 'prickly' and your eyes start to burn.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YKBV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This massive fire seems to do nothing but grow:

0R0dpCY.png

** When making sure I was interpreting that smoke concentration table correctly, I found this EPA report on Wildfire Smoke...

[...] Additionally, the size of particles affects their potential to cause health effects.

=== Human Hair === diameter 60 micrometers

For purposes of comparison, a human hair is about 60 micrometers in diameter.

Particles larger than 10 micrometers do not usually reach the lungs, but can irritate the eyes, nose, and throat.

=== PM10 === diameter 10 micrometers & smaller

Small particles with diameters less than or equal to 10 micrometers, also known as particle pollution or PM10, can be inhaled deep into the lungs. Exposure to the smallest particles can affect the lungs and heart.

=== PM2.5 === diameter 2.5 micrometers & smaller

Particle pollution labeled PM2.5 includes both

- coarse particles, with diameters from 2.5 to 10 micrometers

- fine particles with diameters less than 2.5 micrometers

Particles from smoke tend to be very small, with a size range near the wavelength of visible light (0.4 – 0.7 micrometers). Therefore, smoke particles efficiently scatter light and impact visibility. Moreover, these particles are within the fine particle PM2.5 fraction and can be inhaled into the deepest recesses of the lung and may represent a greater health concern than larger particles.

https://www3.epa.gov/airnow/wildfire_may2016.pdf

14 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Have you seen the predictions for smoke in Seward from the massive nearby Swan Lake fire? 

They look... terrible.  **

I am aware and I am concerned.  I don't have breathing issues, but the beautiful, cloudy scenery of Alaska may be masked.  I have a road trip planned for Denali.  I saw Mt. McKinley once during a Christmas trip.  I have yet to visit the NP and I fear that this trip will be disappointing and that Mt. McKinley will be hidden in smoke/clouds.

10 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Don'y know if you are doing Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier.  But whichever one you are doing, around 10 AM look for the pea soup served on the outer decks and maybe in the Crow's Nest.

Thanks for the reminder, KK.  Westerdam is visiting Glacier Bay and I don't want to miss the Pea Soup!

We’ll be getting on the Westerdam as you’re getting off.  I’m somewhat concerned with the smoke from the fires as well, because I have asthma.  In addition, we are traveling with a large party (13 people), and one child has a lung disease.  This is our first trip to Alaska, and it will be very disappointing if the scenery is hard to see.  I feel horrible for the Alaskan citizens as well. It’s a terrible situation all the way around.

• Like 1

We were just in the Westerdam. 6-30 to 7-7. The smoke came in while we were in Skagway. The morning was great. By 5:00 we could really smell it. Glacier Bay was awesome. Some smoke in the distance. We saw the glacier calving and we were so excited. On our way to Anchorage we had tons of fog. Also had a helicopter medical rescue. We enjoyed the ship. We saw what appeared to be a personnel shortage in some areas. But, all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. Have a great time!

6 hours ago, Jeafl said:

I’m somewhat concerned with the smoke from the fires as well, because I have asthma.  In addition, we are traveling with a large party (13 people), and one child has a lung disease.  

If you have asthma, 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YKBV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do as well, but the ONLY time in 20 years I was affected by it was in the presence of wildfire smoke.

The above masks filter 95 % of bad stuff.  

The ones I used towards the end of my trip last year were very dark with pollution.

The child especially needs one fit for their head size

19 hours ago, wyobean said:

We were just in the Westerdam. 6-30 to 7-7. The smoke came in while we were in Skagway. The morning was great. By 5:00 we could really smell it. Glacier Bay was awesome. Some smoke in the distance. We saw the glacier calving and we were so excited. On our way to Anchorage we had tons of fog. Also had a helicopter medical rescue. We enjoyed the ship. We saw what appeared to be a personnel shortage in some areas. But, all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. Have a great time!

Thanks for your encouraging report.  I am anticipating another HAL cruise that meets my expectations of their former slogan of "Signature of Excellence".  But, I will also "Savor the Journey".

Edited by rkacruiser

I had zero experience with wildfires until

last August in glacier national park. I would like to reiterate that those with breathing difficulties should take this seriously and consider the precautions suggested.. For the first time in my life I had to turn around on a hiking trail. The vertical climb required more, not less, oxygen available. It was frightening and I will never underestimate clean air again. I don’t want to panic anyone, but it’s best to be over prepared. 

On 7/9/2019 at 2:14 AM, SempreMare said:

If you have asthma, 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YKBV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do as well, but the ONLY time in 20 years I was affected by it was in the presence of wildfire smoke.

The above masks filter 95 % of bad stuff.  

The ones I used towards the end of my trip last year were very dark with pollution.

The child especially needs one fit for their head size

Thanks!   Who ever thought something like this would be necessary in Alaska?

Edited by Jeafl

It has  several months  since we were on  westerdam but we enjoyed the ship.  It had been freshened up in many areas but we heard from some “inside” cabin passengers that their areas were not freshed up as our signature suite had been. We loved the space in our suite and except for the placement of some of the furniture and TV we think this one of our better rooms.  Service level was very good but appeared to be limited in some areas with some stewards doing double duty.  Shows pretty good.  Shopping about like normal for holland. We did not have Protestant pastor/leader for sunday service but they let us meet and had a volunteer.  Love the size of this ship.   Furnishings getting a little mod/contemporary for my taste but still overall very nice