Volendam dry dock Oct 18-Oct 31

tommy

1 minute ago, RuthC said:

Are wall-mounted TVs with a DVD slot in the side still made? That's what we had on Oceania. 

I never looked for such.  Had no interest for a DVD when such a wide range of other options were available.  Like you, I think, I don't cruise to watch my stateroom TV.

On 10/2/2019 at 7:15 PM, RuthC said:

Are wall-mounted TVs with a DVD slot in the side still made? That's what we had on Oceania. 

Optical media, (DVD, Blue ray, Compact Disk) are all being phased out.   I doubt that you can find any flat screen on the market today that would have a DVD player built-in.

TV locations will not be changed on the S&R class in most cabin categories except Neptune/Pinnacle Suites. HAL may however install newer, more energy efficient, units with larger screens and better resolution.  They could increase the number of channels and looping movies at any time they wish to with the existing units/wiring.  I would not expect extensive video on demand on these ships as the cost to upgrade the wiring is just too prohibitive. 

I would not not be surprised to see DVD players removed in the near future. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

14 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

TV locations will not be changed on the S&R class in most cabin categories except Neptune/Pinnacle Suites. HAL may however install newer, more energy efficient, units with larger screens and better resolution.  

That works perfectly for me. I love those ships, and my inside cabin on them. The TV is in a great location to be seen from the couch, and could also be watched from the bed, if someone were to want to do that. 
Happy for that news. 

Two ships - Taipei Trader & Agathonissos that were in the shipyard before Dorian hit - went to sea to ride it out & are now back in #3 floating dock & at fitting out berth to complete there work.

First cruise ship Carnival Ecstacy due 5th October for her docking.

Yard employees have been assisting to repair local water system & other work.

Taipei  Trader in no.3 floating dock.jpg

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

SeaDog-46,

Do you think/know if the Volendam will be able to get her previously scheduled drydocking late in October?

The yard is fully operational and all drydock work being performed as scheduled.  No changes to schedules at this time.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/despite-hurricane-grand-bahama-shipyard-is-open-for-business

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/grand-bahama-shipyard-drydocks-first-vessel-after-hurricane-dorian

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Bob - It's hard to know if the yard has spare capacity or if they are able to clear work to get Volendam in ontime.

If you have not heard from HAL - I would expect your Volendam cruise will go ontime.

John

18 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Bob - It's hard to know if the yard has spare capacity or if they are able to clear work to get Volendam in ontime.

If you have not heard from HAL - I would expect your Volendam cruise will go ontime.

John

The thought that the cruise might be cancelled has crossed my mind.  I would think that HAL would want to get the Volendam's drydock completed prior to her first Grand South America cruise in January and it might take precedence over my cruise.  But, the Christmas/New Year's Cruise is at such a high per diem, I think HAL would be reluctant to cancel the cruise.

20 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

John

Ohhhh, I hope so.   I would think they would let us know by this time if the 01 Nov cruise was cancelled..... and then there is the issue of those of us with flights.....  

On 10/6/2019 at 7:32 PM, Shih-tzu said:

Ohhhh, I hope so.   I would think they would let us know by this time if the 01 Nov cruise was cancelled..... and then there is the issue of those of us with flights.....  

SeaDog-46 is a much more knowledgeable source of information and views than I am.  I would trust his opinion because I personally know him.  We future Volendam cruisers will be OK with our bookings.

• Like 1

Got off the Volendam on October 1st, and Ian, the CD said they'd be remodeling the mainstage (also called the BB King Blues Club) to put in the large screens and Step 1 dancers are coming as well. The Piano Bar will be altered to allow for more guests to enjoy the show. Oh yeah, and the bathrooms, at least on the Dolphin deck, have been remodeled at some time in the recent past, with wonderful floor to ceiling showers. She was in fine shape, not certain they needed to make any updates.

On 10/6/2019 at 7:32 PM, Shih-tzu said:

I'm sailing right after you on the 11th.  I hope HAL lets us know of any delays, especially your sailing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TonyC1952 said:

Got off the Volendam on October 1st, and Ian, the CD said they'd be remodeling the mainstage (also called the BB King Blues Club) to put in the large screens and Step 1 dancers are coming as well. The Piano Bar will be altered to allow for more guests to enjoy the show. Oh yeah, and the bathrooms, at least on the Dolphin deck, have been remodeled at some time in the recent past, with wonderful floor to ceiling showers. She was in fine shape, not certain they needed to make any updates.

Step 1 Dancers:  not good news based on my Nieuw Statendam experience.  Altering the Piano Club/Mix Area for more space to enjoy the performers is good news as long as the performers are worth it.  As a Dolphin Deck "resident"--always keep looking for my oars in my closet, just in case 😀, knowing that I can expect floor to ceiling showers is good news.  I really liked what I experienced on Nieuw Statendam.

The stateroom's TV systems, at least on her sister Zaandam, do need upgrading as best they can do.

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Shih-tzu said:

image.thumb.png.c2746c6cd8d2c77243571f4239ac5e88.png

Looks like the Volendam has left FLL and is on the way to Freeport.... this screen shot was 5:50pm Atlantic Time - 18 Oct.  Let's hope she' ready to greet us with open arms on 01 November.   

Yes I hope so as well..was a little nervous booking a sailing fresh out of dry dock ..fingers crossed everything is done and all areas of ship are open 🚢😎 happy cruising 

1 hour ago, hotlipss said:

Yes I hope so as well..was a little nervous booking a sailing fresh out of dry dock ..fingers crossed everything is done and all areas of ship are open 🚢😎 happy cruising 

I am on Noordam right now. When we boarded on Sunday she was right out of dry dock. I haven't noticed any "left over" work being done. If there is, it is either behind the scenes or during times passengers are not in the areas being worked on.

2 hours ago, hotlipss said:

I was on Zuiderdam fresh out of dry dock in Nov '17.   Only thing that wasn't open on embarkation day was the aft deck and pool.  That's because all the sea containers with the old things came back on aft deck and all the lounge chairs  were stored in the pool.  They spent that day and better part of the next day cleaning the deck, cleaning the pool and then filling it up.  It wasn't that bad as the 1st day we were at Half Moon Cay in the water anyway.   

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from Volendam on its first cruise after refit Yes the TV's in the Vista Suites are now flat panel screens mounted on the wall facing the bed. Has interactive providing limited live TV, movies, TV shows, Dining Room info, your account and other features. 

New Carpet throughout

NewMusic venues: Classical music in The Lincoln Centre Stage (Very popular and well attended), The Ocean Bar with three piece dance band, and BillBoard Onboard with the two pianos, again very popular,

Unfortunately there still seem to be problems dotted about ship. No hot water, no water, air conditioning problems,overflowing toilets and ceiling leaks. 

On the positive side, the staff are as friendly, helpful and smiling as ever and while the restaurant may be serving more inexpensive meals, the quality is still good and the Lido has a great selection.

We really enjoyed our trio despite the  little things.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rucrazy said:

Did you notice any public place where a person might see a sporting event and a drink?

Given our interest in the College and NFL games during our cruising season, I am hoping for a positive response from the poster.

Since I am in an outside stateroom on Dolphin Deck, I was hoping that those staterooms would receive a TV upgrade like those who "pay more to sway more" on the upper decks.