Amsterdam to Miami in basic economy??? Ouch??? Or ok?

preschool teacher

I think a lot depends on your comfort level, how tall/big you are, seat size and pitch, and the luggage allowance you will get. What is the seating configuration of the plane?   Since I'm assuming this is an overnight flight, can you be comfortable in economy for that length of flight with probably little, if any, sleep?   Will you sleep more in premium economy?      

On overnight flights, my DH doesn't sleep well, even in business class (we use miles).   But we are both fine flying daytime flights of 8 hours in standard economy since neither of us is tall, so leg room isn't a problem.   Everyone's comfort threshold is different.

Be sure to check each airline's specific rules for their "basic" fares.  At one point, UA didn't allow even a carryon bag for their cheapest tickets.  Can't speak to current UA rules for domestic and international, but you definitely should not assume they are the same from one carrier to another.

14 hours ago, the mice said:

I think a lot depends on your comfort level, how tall/big you are, seat size and pitch, and the luggage allowance you will get. What is the seating configuration of the plane?   Since I'm assuming this is an overnight flight, can you be comfortable in economy for that length of flight with probably little, if any, sleep?   Will you sleep more in premium economy?      

On overnight flights, my DH doesn't sleep well, even in business class (we use miles).   But we are both fine flying daytime flights of 8 hours in standard economy since neither of us is tall, so leg room isn't a problem.   Everyone's comfort threshold is different.

Eastbound flights are generally overnight; westbound ones like the OP is flying are generally in the daytime, and are usually around an hour to an hour and a half longer than the eastbound ones due to prevailing winds.   

I'm not able to find any nonstop flights from AMS to MIA for next May.  Would you be changing planes someplace like Atlanta?

It isn't the seat pitch/size that is different, but what you have to give up for the cheaper fare:  seats are assigned at check-in (so you have a high probability of not sitting together and having middle seats), $60 for the first checked bag.

If you can live with those caveats, go for it...

18 hours ago, slidergirl said:

It isn't the seat pitch/size that is different, but what you have to give up for the cheaper fare:  seats are assigned at check-in (so you have a high probability of not sitting together and having middle seats), $60 for the first checked bag.

If you can live with those caveats, go for it...

Generally, yeah, basic economy is the same seat with more restrictions. That is, unless OP is using the term "basic economy" for something else.

4 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

Generally, yeah, basic economy is the same seat with more restrictions. That is, unless OP is using the term "basic economy" for something else.

Since the op mentioned DL, I looked up differences in DL.  

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 7:38 PM, preschool teacher said:

Will it be horrible to fly that long haul in basic economy? On Delta...?

we could do United for around 200.00 more basic to Paris and then a economy plus ( or what they call it).

thank you for your help!!!!

"Basic economy" is a specific fare class on Delta.  It is a regular economy seat, just like Main Cabin, (Same seat width and seat pitch/legroom) but the ticket has more restrictions.  Did you mean Basic Economy as a fare class or was that just the terminology you used to mean "regular" economy, which Delta calls "Main Cabin?"  If you need details on the restrictions of Basic Economy, that can be provided.

1 hour ago, preschool teacher said:

I was referring to The Air2Sea website...the choices are  Business class.....Standard Economy....or Mixed class....

Premium economy is not a choice....and if you choose standard economy you cannot upgrade...

So you just mean “regular” economy class? 

12 hours ago, preschool teacher said:

I was referring to The Air2Sea website...the choices are  Business class.....Standard Economy....or Mixed class....

Premium economy is not a choice....and if you choose standard economy you cannot upgrade...

Make sure to check the ticket prices for all cabin categories.  Sometimes you can get a nice surprise with the cruise airfares and premium or business class isn't a lot more than economy.

I would agree that a day flight in economy isn't as bad as a red eye.  After his first red eye in coach, my husband swore he'd never do that again!  The return flight from Europe wasn't nearly as bad for him, but since then we've always done PE or business class seat. 

On 7/6/2019 at 7:38 PM, preschool teacher said:

13 hours ago, preschool teacher said:

Ok, but you initially said "basic economy" and my point was that with Delta that exact phrase, "basic economy," actually refers to a particular booking class.....same physical seat as Delta's "Main Cabin" which is what one might refer to as "regular" or "standard" economy, but with more restrictions....no ability to upgrade with status/money/miles, no advance seat selection, and no ability to make changes later, even if willing to pay a change fee.

Delta does not sell a seat that they bill as "standard economy" so that is a term that is being applied by Air2Sea.  It could be Main Cabin or it could be Basic Economy.   The inability to upgrade may well indicate that it's a Delta Basic Economy seat.  Could also be some kind of bulk fare, which also frequently has restrictions, so who knows what you're getting if that's the case.

At the end of the day though, the physical seat is the same for Delta Main Cabin or Delta Basic Economy.  It's also the same physical seat if you happen to end up in Comfort+, the difference there is that the seat pitch is increased by a few inches, meaning a little more legroom.  (And Comfort+ is NOT premium economy; premium economy on Delta is sold under the term "Premium Select" and they physical seat is indeed different from the others.")

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:38 PM, preschool teacher said:

we could do United for around 200.00 more basic to Paris and then a economy plus ( or what they call it).

thank you for your help!!!!

I would take the Delta flight and it always pains me to find Miami cheaper than Orlando....Basic economy is a seat class, that means you can't pick your seats, and you need to pay for your luggage.  Hopefully you mean Economy and misused the words.  Most Delta medium haul flights (I wouldn't consider 7-8 hours long haul) have economy plus, which gives you extra legroom and you sit near the front.  I'm 6'2" so this makes a difference for me.  I would prefer Delta over United anytime.  Make sure you have a good layover time in Paris.  That is where you will go through immigration.

Recently flew Delta MSP to AMS and CDG to SLC In main cabin, not Comfort Plus or Basic. It was a very good experience. Several nice touches such as warm towels prior to meal service, complimentary alcohol, a menu with details for the food service and menu choices, large bottles of water, along with the usual packaged pillows, blankets, ear buds, eye shades. Snacks and bottled water always available in the galley. The plane configuration was 2-4-2 and we chose a row with only 2 seats pretty far up front. They were preferred seats and worth the small additional charge. Sitting near the front has its advantages including a better chance of getting your first choice of an entree. With Delta’s seat back entertainment offerings, it was a painless flight. Oh and we made good use of the complimentary texting. Now we aren’t tall people so leg room was sufficient but that is certainly a big consideration for many people. Would I have liked more recline? Yes but I think I got as much sleep as I have gotten when in Delta One. So for me, main cabin worked well. 

• Like 1

Purduemom1; you got as much sleep in your economy seat than when you were in Delta One Suite:  is that correct?  How about the quality of your sleep?   preschool teacher,  suggest you contact the Royal Caribbean travel air dept for those flights and get a reading on what basic economy is or main cabin on Delta?  Have a great day. Like others mentioned basic economy is just a fare that Delta uses;  however, I do not think basic economy is used international.  I think its main cabin, economy plus, premium select(on certain flights), and Delta One

Edited by AF-1
added txt

On 7/16/2019 at 3:26 PM, AF-1 said:

Like others mentioned basic economy is just a fare that Delta uses;  however, I do not think basic economy is used international.  I think its main cabin, economy plus, premium select(on certain flights), and Delta One

It depends on the routing.  Some international routes on Delta do offer Basic Economy.

23 hours ago, AF-1 said:

waterbug123; have not seen basic economy on any of the flights I booked.  Have a great day

Wonderful!  I was just letting you know that it IS offered on some international routes.  If they aren't routes you fly or have flown, so be it.  🙂

My personal preference, with a grumpy DH flyer, too, would be to pay the extra $200 for a decent layover and premium economy the rest of the way.

Layovers mean a large bathroom, a meal of our choosing, and time to walk around and stretch out.  Then, the rest of the trip is more comfortable.  Worth the $$ to us.