Casablanca DIY

YoungDubFan

I will be in Casablanca next June  on a Fri. from 7am - 8pm. I’ll be traveling with my 79 year old mother. I’m doing early planning and trying to determine what the highlights of Casablanca are. We normally like to DIY but I’m wondering if we should take a ship’s tour that day. If we DIY, what are the top 3 things to do? Is there a Medina or an old town that we can walk through? Any suggestions are appreciated. 

We too are advocates of diy trips when ashore - but not in Casablanca. A private tour, with a guide would be our preference.

Top 3 choices: Hassan II Mosque; Old Medina; Habous Quarter ( buy a pastry at Bennis Habous); add the upmarket Corniche if you have time.

• 4 weeks later...

We have been to Casablanca twice. Your ship may provide a shuttle to the park across from the Hyatt hotel. From there it is a short walk into the Souk. Be aware that it will probably be very hot so wander around but be careful about overheating. Souk is not as exotic as you might imagine but is still interesting. My wife and I (late 60's but good shape) walked through much of the souk and the town and never felt unsafe but pay attention as in any big city.

Once you are finished with the Souk you might want to go to the Hyatt hotel for a drink and to cool off. It is a beautiful hotel.  From the hotel you can probably get a licensed cab to go to the Hassan II mosque. (We walked but wouldn't recommend it for Mom). It is an amazing building.

After that I'm not sure that there are any more "must sees" as Casablanca is much more a modern city than you might think. 

Some tours go to Rick's Cafe but that is a rather recent addition and for us seems like a Disney ride but to each his own.

There are also a number of restaurants down the hill from the park that may be interesting for lunch.

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend a tour to Rabat, too.I love the movie Casablanca and had high hopes, but it is just a big city. I recommend going out of town as you will not be that impressed with the city.  I tried to higher a private guide (check trip advisor), but since I had kids, and they were still under two, it was cheaper for me to use the ships tour. The mosque is gorgeous (I didn't go inside) but the only real tourist worthy attraction (IMO).

On 8/1/2019 at 10:11 PM, YoungDubFan said:

Omega1 - any suggestions for a private guide?

loerie - thanks for the suggestion but we want to explore Casablanca.

I know enough to skip Rick’s cafe.

Thanks for the suggestions. 

It’s five years since we had a guide in Casablanca. Our guide was good but I’m not sure if he is still in business- I’ll email him.

• 4 months later...

It is a long walk from the cruise pier into the old town as there is a big sea wall.  There are a few taxis here and there.  You will not have any Dirhams as the ship just got in.  Those taxis you see by the ship will probably take pounds or Euros- negotiate some reasonable fare maybe $5-8.  The meter fares in Dirhams are crazy low.   There are taxis on the way back to the ship outside the gate.  There is a Tourist Police station right outside the port entrance as you enter the market area.  We felt 100% safe and just wandered in to the market area.   There are change offices and banks or they suggest an ATM card to get Dirhams.  Yes Marrakech is fancier and Tangier is cuter but the old town market area in Casablanca gets the job done- we had this "we are finally in Africa" thing going on.  The fish market was adorable but impractical- what does a cruise passenger do with a raw fish?  We found a crowded local restaurant and had lentils and rice and Tagine for like $5.  It all was lovely.  Grillades-Brochettes-Poulets on 120 Rue Allal ben Abdellah.

IMG_4006.JPG

Edited by ew101