Fire and ice or shellac manicure?

MrsHFQ

Oooh, fire and ice sounds lovely. I'm a big fan of hot stones and temperature changes for massage. 

Shellac is one particular brand of gel polish, so it would be worth reading up on gel manicures in general to get and idea if they're for your or not. I'm a recent convert to gel polish and I love that it stays on and doesn't chip for several weeks (as opposed to standard polish, which barely lasts a day given how much I use my hands so having pretty nails wasn't an option) but it's quite a challenge to remove at home as you need to soak/wrap your fingers in acetone-based polish remover, and you've got to be good about caring for your hands and nails because both the polish and the removal are drying. 

• 3 weeks later...

If you've never had a manicure before I wouldn't suggest the gel. It lasts a long time, but it really needs to be professionally removed and it can make your nails a little weaker so if you're not planning to upkeep manicures off the ship it might not be a good one to start with. 

Doing the fire & ice with regular polish should be a good start, always nice to be pampered on a cruise!

16 hours ago, seaturtle_808 said:

If you've never had a manicure before I wouldn't suggest the gel. It lasts a long time, but it really needs to be professionally removed and it can make your nails a little weaker so if you're not planning to upkeep manicures off the ship it might not be a good one to start with. 

Doing the fire & ice with regular polish should be a good start, always nice to be pampered on a cruise!

What is 🔥 and ice?

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2019 at 7:05 PM, seaturtle_808 said:

I think it just depends on the expertise of the manicurist, what products they are using, and the health/type of nails you have.  I have strong, fast growing nails.  I get a gel manicure every other week, all year long...and my natural nails are great, no problems there.   I love that I can cook, clean, hike, swim, workout, garden etc with absolutely no problems...my polish is chip free and shiny until I change it 2 weeks later.

In order to get the gel polish off - yes, my manicurist applies cotton balls soaked with acetone to my nails.  It sits for a few minutes and then the polish basically pops right off.  My manicurist doesn't need to do much else - so there is minimal buffing of the nail itself.  But that's just my experience.

Edited by CutieKakes
  • Like 1

My daughter had a gel manicure for her formal this spring.  She was instructed to apply cotton balls soaked with remover and then wrap in foil (probably to help with heat) and leave for 10 minutes.  She had no issues removing the polish at home this way.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2019 at 1:39 PM, MrsHFQ said:

Have never had a manicure but am considering one this time on our cruise. Having looked - any pros/cons to fire and ice/shellac?

I had a shellac manicure in the end. I was pleased with the result but could have done with a little help/guidance about choosing a colour /how the process worked etc as I did tell the manicurist that it was the first time that I was having a manicure.

It looked good for the whole 2 weeks, came off easily after 2 weeks (just peeled it off) but my nails are quite weak now - guess that will pass gradually.

I occasionally do the gel polish and I love the look.  But I am a scuba diver and was so disappointed the first time I went in and had it done the day before a dive trip.  The first day when I surfaced after three dives, one nail  was clear.  The next day, two more were gone.   Found salt water and gel nails do not mix.  So, now I don't bother getting it done before a dive trip.   I do a lot of gardening and working with my hands so I chip them all the time.    

We have a six week cruise coming up in 7 weeks.    All my nails are short right now and I am hoping they will grow nicely before the trip so I can put polish on.

But the question is, do I use regular polish or do the gel???    Several other times, I did the gel and took along a regular polish the same color to do touch ups.  But that was for three week cruises.   I have no plans to take the UV light along.  I suppose I could wait as long as possible and then take the polish off myself - I don't think it is that hard of a job.              Or do I get them done on the ship.   I am not really cheap but hate paying their high prices.  When we cruise out of FLL, I usually get a medi/pedi at a salon close to the hotel we stay at.   I also got screwed on a couple spa things I had done years ago and haven't used them for 12 years.   One time I paid $80 for sitting in a whirlpool tub that was in front of a floor to ceiling window.  It was not explained that way in the brochure description.   They opened the door and left me there without any instructions.  Hell, it took me 10 minutes to figure out how to use the controls!   The whirlpool tub in our cabin did the same thing.   If I left the door open, I could see the ocean from my tub.

What is the cost of having your nails done (along with taking the gel off) on Princess ships?   thanks

Where did you get your gel nails done?  I really think it makes a difference.  Also the brand of gel polish.  I don't have a problem with any brand chipping on me, but I do know folks that can only use OPI (for example).

I don't have a problem with my gel polish chipping at all - despite not being careful about my nails at all and I'm extremely active - working out at the gym, swimming, trail running, gardening, and even heavy duty housework.  Maybe I"m just lucky?  I don't think so though...the nail technician is key IMO.

Edited by CutieKakes

You might be correct but I know the gal who has done mine is good - use to teach it.   But everyone I know that scuba dives, has issues.  Was just with a gal who said she never has had them come off.  Guess what - our third day diving, she lost one.   Then another one the next day.

I agree with CutieKates and have been getting gel manicures for almost a year. Nail health and strength makes a difference for sure. The manicurist is also KEY to having a great manicure and great color that looks good with your skin tone. I have been seeing the same person for a year, and let him select the color. Sometimes I want a darker or lighter color, but the colors he picks always look good. I like using his professional expertise and trust his judgement. He also gets me to try colors I don't think will look good, but DO. Like a dark navy in fall/winter that looks great when my summer tan fades.