items on buffet you avoid every time

2 minutes ago, clo said:

As has been mentioned, it's not leafy.  But have you ever seen it on a cruise ship?

A few years ago we had real Okra in gumbo on Celebrity.  But the last time I had gumbo on that line, the Okra was either missing or so rare that the flavor was absent.  As you said, there is nothing "leafy" about okra which is a very common ingredient in Cajun cuisine.

Hank

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

okra which is a very common ingredient in Cajun cuisine.

I was born in Atlanta and have always loved it in any form.  And my Left Coast born husband now loves it also.  I can buy it at our farmers market here in Reno.

4 minutes ago, clo said:

I was born in Atlanta and have always loved it in any form.  And my Left Coast born husband now loves it also.  I can buy it at our farmers market here in Reno.

I was born and raised in the Northeast where okra is not very common.  When I first visited New Orleans (as a young man) I had my first bowl of terrific gumbo and was hooked on the flavor which is really driven by the okra and andouille sausage.  It is still one of my favorite soups (some would take offense at calling gumbo a soup) but have been very disappointed on the quality found on most cruise lines that even has the item on their menu.  It does give us a good excuse to return to New Orleans :).

Hank

6 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I was born and raised in the Northeast where okra is not very common.  When I first visited New Orleans (as a young man) I had my first bowl of terrific gumbo and was hooked on the flavor which is really driven by the okra and andouille sausage.  It is still one of my favorite soups (some would take offense at calling gumbo a soup) but have been very disappointed on the quality found on most cruise lines that even has the item on their menu.  It does give us a good excuse to return to New Orleans :).

Hank

The clue to Okra is don't leave it on the vine too long. It gets tough and woody. Blek!

3 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

The clue to Okra is don't leave it on the vine too long. It gets tough and woody. Blek!

Splitting hairs but it's actually a 'bush' not a 'vine.'

Just cruised on the Celebrity Equinox and never saw this before on any other ship ever. They were Cleaning and then they would felet the fish right there in front of everyone on the buffet. Handed it over to the cook and then on the tray. The fish were very large and looked fresh. They grilled and fired. I had the grilled and my husband had the fried. Excellent. texture and taste. Now on Carnival you pay for a small fish and chips.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Come to think of it, most of the stuff at the buffet is better left at the buffet.  But,  I have never been unable to find something pretty decent: perhaps just some freshly sliced ham on a soft roll with a bit of lettuce and cut up fruit.  Sometimes the soups are good.

I have never been a competitive eater — I would never go up against some of the real contenders I have seen loading and reloading their plates - I wonder if they are readying for hibernation.

If someone is into entree-sized salads, not a salad-course salad, the buffets are a good place.  I'll peruse the line and see if anything looks interesting to add to the lettuce.   Once in awhile, when the crew puts out Indonesian food, I'll give it a try and I've always enjoyed it.   

I can't stand the "competitive eater" types, either.  I try to avert my eyes while I prepare and enjoy my salad 😉

1 minute ago, slidergirl said:

If someone is into entree-sized salads,

I commented to that effect on the what you DO eat from buffets.  There's just the two of us so we'll never have on hand all the great things that can go on/in a salad.

• Haha 1

I forgot something.  But, I avoid this just about everywhere: raw fish sushi.  Unless I'm at a sushi bar where I have a trusted sushi chef or a recommendation from a trusted source, I don't eat sashimi or raw fish sushi. Yes, I know that US sashimi-grade fish has to be frozen first, I just have an issue with who it is who handles the fish.

4 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I forgot something.  But, I avoid this just about everywhere: raw fish sushi.  Unless I'm at a sushi bar where I have a trusted sushi chef or a recommendation from a trusted source, I don't eat sashimi or raw fish sushi. Yes, I know that US sashimi-grade fish has to be frozen first, I just have an issue with who it is who handles the fish.

Hmm.  Good point.  I/we have iron constitutions so I don't have that qualm.  I would likely 'eyeball' it however.  And I don't do rolls, just nigiri and sashimi.

Seeing that if given a choice for lunch, I would normally choose a sandwhich, burger, or tacos, the buffet isn't normally my choice there.

For dinner, I hit the MDR.

For breakfast, I really have no issues with the buffet. Should we tell all of the egg people that it's the same eggs used for the omelets and scrambled?

Sometimes, I might grab a snack from the buffet. To answer, I will never eat fish. But I won't eat it anywhere else either.

3 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Should we tell all of the egg people that it's the same eggs used for the omelets and scrambled?

Why would you tell them that?  In some cases, all egg dishes are to cooked to order from whole eggs. On others scrambled are made from packaged pre-broken eggs, but omelets from whole eggs. On some, only fried-to-order eggs are made from whole eggs. I imagine there are some lines which do not carry whole eggs at all.

• Thanks 1

On Royal, Holland, Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, NCL, MSC all have whole eggs on the breakfast line. Made to order fried eggs also. Omlets are are all made with a liquid egg concoction. Have no idea what that is. Like egg beaters. Could be from whole eggs. Have no idea.

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

On Royal, Holland, Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, NCL, MSC all have whole eggs on the breakfast line. Made to order fried eggs also. Omlets are are all made with a liquid egg concoction. Have no idea what that is. Like egg beaters. Could be from whole eggs. Have no idea.

I don't think it's at all unusual for a restaurant doing high-volume breakfast to beat the eggs for omelets/scrambles ahead of time.  Just pour the amount that they know is right and cook.  Way more efficient.