Your Funny Cruising Story

Pale Gail Sails

On a recent cruise we had a couple of funny incidents occur and I wrote about one of them in my blog. When on the ship, we chatted with several people who shared hilarious incidents that happened to them. With such a large amount of cruisers on this site, what is the funniest thing that happened to you when on a cruise?

4 hours ago, Pale Gail Sails said:

On a recent cruise we had a couple of funny incidents occur and I wrote about one of them in my blog. When on the ship, we chatted with several people who shared hilarious incidents that happened to them. With such a large amount of cruisers on this site, what is the funniest thing that happened to you when on a cruise?

Are you only interested in amusing experiences of those over 55?

If not, you might want to post this on a more general section of CC.

(And perhaps you'd like to start that with your own funny incidents?)

GC

PGS: While we cruise for the relaxation and not amusement per se, I have one to offer. 

Background is, we invited 8 family members to accompany us on a 14-day Alaskan cruise. One couldn't make it, so we were 9 at a table for 10 every night, catching up on the day's happenings. Age range was my half-sister at about 36yo, to my mom at 79. 

So out of whatever story she was telling, little sister asks "What is the elevation here, anyway?" to which I calmly replied, "Sea level." Take two and the whole table erupted in laughter! 

Well, little sister is a social butterfly -- just about everyone on the ship seemed to know her -- and apparently we are a loud bunch because the question (and answer) was repeated everywhere and she never lived it down!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, crystalspin said:

So out of whatever story she was telling, little sister asks "What is the elevation here, anyway?" to which I calmly replied, "Sea level." Take two and the whole table erupted in laughter! 

Great story, thank you for sharing.

On a recent cruise, a friend of ours woke up during the night and tried to find his way to the bathroom. He did not want to wake his wife so he did not turn on a light. The blackout blinds were quite effective so the cabin was pitch black. Our friend felt his way to towards the bathroom, trying desperately not to bang into anything. Knowing that there was a night light on in the bathroom, he was looking for a door outline that was slightly illuminated.

Unfortunately the cabin and bathroom doors were close together and he was a bit disoriented. When he saw a door frame with a hint of light showing, he quickly opened it and stepped out. As soon as he did so, he quickly realized his mistake. He was in the hallway. At the exact time he recognized his error, he heard the unmistakable sound of the door clicking shut behind him. He was now naked and trapped in the hallway.

At that moment he heard the unmistakable sound of a door opening just down the hallway and the voices of two women speaking: "Thank you for inviting me for a drink. See you tomorrow." said one of the women.

Fearing imminent discovery, our friend pressed himself up against the door and started whispering "Claire, Claire, open the door." He was met with silence. He knocked louder, trying not to draw attention to himself. "Clair, Clair, open the door NOW".

No response.

He then started knocking loudly and calling for his wife.

His wife woke up and could hear her husband but turning on the light, she could not see him anywhere in the cabin. She could hear knocking and the desperation in his voice. She checked the bathroom. No Dave.  "Where are you?" she shouted.

"In the hallway, open the door NOW." he cried.

Claire opened the door and Dave rushed in past her.  "What are you doing naked in the hallway?" she asked.

Dave was just relieved to be safely back in the room.

The next morning while recounting the story over breakfast Dave confessed that words can not describe the relief he felt when the lady he had heard exiting her friend's cabin, had proceeded to walk in the other direction.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I was on one cruise and seated near us every night at dinner was a large family with parents, adult children and their spouses, obviously celebrating milestone anniversary or something.  Each night the elderly parents were in resort casual clothing for dinner and all of the others were in casual biker attire.  (Harley Davidson bowling shirts, dark jeans, etc.)  We are bikers, too, and I have no problem with this at all.  However, I was interested to see what they would wear for formal night.  Elderly parents are in a dark suit for Grandpa and a sequin formal for Grandma.  All the bikers were in full-blown biker finest.  Beautiful black leather jackets, shined black leather boots, chains, knuckle duster rings, etc.  I loved seeing them express their individuality, honor their parents and have fun as a family!

• Like 2

We cruised with some friends that we had met on a prior cruise.  The husband was somewhat of a joker, and kept telling our waiter that on every cruise that he's on, he gets a dinner knife given to him by the waiter as a souvenir.  Well, he kept begging and begging our waiter for one from the ship we were on.  Finally, the waiter came up on the second to last night with something wrapped in a napkin.  He told our friend that he had his knife for him..... our friend opened it, and it was a plastic knife.  We all had a good laugh over our waiter's sense of humor.  And, our friend got a real knife from our waiter the next day to add to his collection.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Love the stories! Thanks for the chuckles! Now I have one of my own:

One night, walking down the hallway toward our room after dinner, suddenly, a stateroom door opens just as we were about to pass it. A fellow steps into the hallway with a bottle of champagne in his hand. "Do you drink?" he asks us. I said, "Moderately," not sure what the right answer was. He thrust the bottle at me. "Take this," he said. "My company paid for this trip and the wine, but we don't drink." Okay, you shouldn't take candy from strangers, but champagne is fair game, right? - Musing About Cruising

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2019 at 11:56 AM, rjgdjg said:

Love the stories! Thanks for the chuckles! Now I have one of my own:

One night, walking down the hallway toward our room after dinner, suddenly, a stateroom door opens just as we were about to pass it. A fellow steps into the hallway with a bottle of champagne in his hand. "Do you drink?" he asks us. I said, "Moderately," not sure what the right answer was. He thrust the bottle at me. "Take this," he said. "My company paid for this trip and the wine, but we don't drink." Okay, you shouldn't take candy from strangers, but champagne is fair game, right? - Musing About Cruising

This story made me think about that old axiom:  "Candy is Dandy, but Liquor is Quicker" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/19/2019 at 12:56 PM, rjgdjg said:

A fellow steps into the hallway with a bottle of champagne in his hand.

Shoot, no one has come out into the hallway and offered us a free bottle of champagne. We will have to walk the halls more often.

We did have a situation one time where we were able to secure a very large two bedroom family room around the time of final payment. We had a reservation for an ordinary balcony cabin but after final payment, there were a number of higher class cabins available and there were two family cabins. The upgrade cost little so we jumped on it and found the cabin was huge with two bedrooms and a living room that was extremely large. We were travelling with a number of firefighters from Ottawa and all of us had been given bottles of wine as a welcome to our cabins. The cruise we were on also had offered complementary beverage packages.  We had each bought a bottle of wine onboard but never seemed to get around to drinking them.

On the final sea day before we were arriving at our final port, we decided to host a wine and cheese for our group. We thought we could get rid of the three bottles of wine and with everyone having a beverage package, champagne was also on offer from the ship. We had a large group show up to see the family room cabin and enjoy the wine and cheese. However an unforeseen benefit was that many of the attendees had not drunk their complementary wine and brought their bottles with them to donate to the wine and cheese. When all was said and done, we ended up with 9 bottles of wine left over and we were gifting them to the crew later that evening.

We have never been able to secure another family cabin nor have we had left over wine. LOL

• Like 1