Alaska Glacier Viewing - Special Room Service Option?

SamboniMan

I have sailed to Alaska on Princess twice and both times there was a special room service champagne brunch available on the glacier viewing day. 

Does Holland America offer anything similar?

We are sailing on the Oosterdam on July 28, 2019.

Thank you!

Thank you for the info!

I guess I should have given some more detail though... The champagne brunch was not complimentary. It's a special thing you can do that is delivered to your room during glacier viewing. 

No, nothing like that, and anyway it's very doubtful that you'll want to stay in your room on that day.  Out on deck on the promenade deck 3, on the bow (enter on deck 4 all the way forward), at the Sea View pool (Lido deck all the way aft)... anywhere with more of a wrap-around vista is where you will gravitate.  It's a glorious day to be outside!! Enjoy!!

Edited by Moriah

Honestly, I would not stay on the balcony - too limiting! That's just my opinion, but even when we've had Neptune Suites with huge balconies, and friends with Pinnacle suites.. that still limits you to looking in one direction and the vista from the bow or the stern when approaching the glaciers is just so STUNNING... yes, the captain will turn the boat around 360 degrees in front of Marjory, the largest glacier you will see in Glacier Bay (or in front of Hubbard Glacier if that's where you are going...) but still...don't miss the experience from out on deck.  Even if only for an hour.  Definitely worth it.  Bundle up though! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

If you have seen the glaciers as many times as we have seen them, we feel our verandah works very nice for viewing the glaciers.

Different strokes for different folks!  I've been to Alaska with HAL every summer for the last 17 years, and still can't get enough of the glaciers - outside! 😀

• Like 1

Really, Split Pea soup is the something special from HAL? That is probably the most nasty tasting of all soups I can think of.  I may just order my own champagne brunch on room service that day for our SS balcony.

• Haha 1

We stayed on our balcony for most of our time. We did go to the forward viewing for an hour or so but were happier in the quiet of our balcony. We had lunch delivered there also. Wonderful trip. Hope yours is as well. 

• Like 1

This menu is a little out of date (2018) but I expect most of these items would still be available from Room Service.  You should definitely be able to put together a nice champagne brunch to eat from your room if you order before 11am.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Room-Service-and-Breakfast-Card.pdf

If the champagne choices aren't to your liking, I believe the current corkage fee is $25/bottle if you wish to bring something on board to enjoy from your room or the restaurants.

Enjoy. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SamboniMan said:

Thank you!

The balcony won't be sufficient? That's where we have stayed to view on our other cruises. 

Just remember, there maybe 2000 people striving for a special viewing spot on those top side decks.  And, all of them will be trying to take selfies', etc.  I think we'll stick with our balcony.

28 minutes ago, Epicureangirl said:

This menu is a little out of date (2018) but I expect most of these items would still be available from Room Service.  You should definitely be able to put together a nice champagne brunch to eat from your room if you order before 11am.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Room-Service-and-Breakfast-Card.pdf

If the champagne choices aren't to your liking, I believe the current corkage fee is $25/bottle if you wish to bring something on board to enjoy from your room or the restaurants.

Enjoy. 

Good idea.  The open bows are nice but after awhile your own balcony is nice too. The Captain does spin the ship around so you do get to see it all.

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Really, Split Pea soup is the something special from HAL? That is probably the most nasty tasting of all soups I can think of.  I may just order my own champagne brunch on room service that day for our SS balcony.

Hal’s Split Pea Soup is really good. Must be a lot of people who also think so as many were enjoying it on our cruise. Of course to each his own. 

20 hours ago, SamboniMan said:

I have sailed to Alaska on Princess twice and both times there was a special room service champagne brunch available on the glacier viewing day. 

Does Holland America offer anything similar?

We are sailing on the Oosterdam on July 28, 2019.

Thank you!

No   reason you cannot order whatever room service breakfast you wish   , brunch delivered to your cabin.

YES, HOLLAND America's  Dutch PEA soup is delicious.

i

10 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

Hal’s Split Pea Soup is really good. Must be a lot of people who also think so as many were enjoying it on our cruise. Of course to each his own. 

On 7/8/2019 at 3:28 AM, SamboniMan said:

Thank you!

The balcony won't be sufficient? That's where we have stayed to view on our other cruises. 

I haven't done this cruise yet but will be in glacier bay on the 27th I think it is and plan to maybe have lunch or afternoon tea delivered and we might save one of our bottles of champagne or wine we bring on board for that day. The ship will be in the bay all day so no harm planning a nice meal and drinks on your verandah as well as going up to the other decks for the full 360.  We can fit it all in surely :) 

• Like 1